Georgia State DIY Post Bacc - too spread out?

Started by pointodr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pointodr

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all

I'm 30yo and work in finance. I graduated from Emory in 2009 with a degree in business and a 3.5 having taken most of the premed classes (all except bio 2 and organic 2) decided to pursue business, have always regretted it, and here I am!

I am considering quitting my job and starting a post bacc program at GSU this summer. Here's how it would look, roughly:

Summer:
Chem 1
Psychology

Fall:
Chem 2
Physics 1

Spring:
Organic 1
Physics 2

Summer:
Organic 2
Bio 1

Fall:
Bio 2
Biochemistry

Spring: MCAT and apply

So 5 semesters total, and I would use my free time to take an EMT course, work part time as an EMT, volunteer, shadow, take care of my son, etc.

How does this sound? I am worried that, due to my less than stellar undergraduate GPA, med schools will want to see a more rigourous course load in my post bacc, to prove that I can handle it. What do you think? Is 2 classes at a time while amassing extracurriculars and working part time enough? Or should I stretch myself more? It's worth noting that the minimum time it can be done in is 5 semesters, given the required sequence of classes, so the question is really if I should add extra classes.

Also, should I even retake all these classes, or go straight into upper level? I personally would like to re-take, as it's been 10+ years and I think it would help me for the MCAT. But how do med schools see it?

Thanks all