Geriatric PT Settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTstudent2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to know what PT settings are a best fit if I am interested in working with the geriatric population? I know that an SNF would likely be my best option...but are there other geriatric settings out there that I don't know of/aren't as commonly heard of? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in home-health and most of my patients are 70 or older.

Yeah home health for sure, although I've worked with my fair share of people who are between 40-60, not exactly the geriatric population. You will see more patients per day in a SNF than home health. Try an ALF. Very relaxed setting and you can see 7-8 patients a day.

Curious to know what PT settings are a best fit if I am interested in working with the geriatric population? I know that an SNF would likely be my best option...but are there other geriatric settings out there that I don't know of/aren't as commonly heard of? Thanks in advance :)
Home health and SNF are your best options. Make sure you do your research before you join any place to set your expectations right.
For geriatric population, home health or SNF are your best options. You need to do your research and set your expectations correct before joining any place. If you find a right place with right kind of patient populations, your career can blossom. Hope this helps.