German physician in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaltwasser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I am studying Medicine in Germany. Since I lived in Canada for some years I would really love to work there. Do I have to convert my German license in order to work there? I would like to be a familiy doctor in Alberta or Nova Scotia but I would'nt mind doing researches, too. Does anybody know something about that?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you need to convert. I'm not too familiar with the process, but do you speak english well and know medical english?

Yes. Even right now I am in Alberta visiting old friends. I lived here for almost two years. So English is not really a problem. I think people can understand me quite well. When it comes to Terminology : we have it in Latin/Greek (normal Terminology) and English (and in German (hehe)). In addition to that: we study 7-8 years just in MedSchool . But we dont do a Bachelor of Science before we start. I know you can do 2 exams to convert and I am not afraid of the content but of the costs. Are there any ways without doing those exams? For example if I would come as a researcher?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done your postgraduate medical residency in Germany, or are you finishing medical school?
you will need to complete a medical residency in Canada or the United States to be eligible to apply for a medical licence to practice in Canada (Alberta?)
the best resource for information about what you need to do before you can apply for a medical licence in Alberta is to contact the Alberta licensing authority - the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.

I don't know what is meant by 'do 2 exams to convert'.

medical exams are offered by the Medical Council of Canada, and yes they cost a lot of money.

Thank you very much for your information. I will try to contact those people from the College of Alberta for Physicians and Surgeons.... They sound promising! Thank you.