GE's as pass/fail Please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UC pre med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is the situation.
I'm in my third quarter of UCSD as a freshman, so far I have not screwed up, maintaining a GPA of 3.9 for the first two quarter while taking atleast 16 units each. I'm sure it will happen somewhere down the line...

But the problem is that I didn't get into my lab class this quarter like I wanted to since I couldn't register early enough. I want to fill this up with a GE so I can get it out of the way, since im taking some hardcore science classes this quarter, I dont want this GE to kill my time, so I was considering taking this pass/fail instead of letter so i dont have to try as hard. It is Visual Arts, im sorry, but I could care less about it. I would rather put more effort into science.

Does this have any negative effects further down the line, say when adcoms see that I took it pass/fail and think that I have poor work ethic, and basically other stuff along those lines? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Opting to take one or two classes pass/fail during college shouldn't hurt you for med school as long as the class is not required or highly recommended for med school (BCPM, English, etc.). Just make sure that you are allowed to take a gen ed pass/fail at your institution, as my college only permits electives that in no way are being used to fill major/minor/certificate/gen ed requirements to be taken pass/fail.

I always hoped that adcomms could see through the "I try my hardest to look like I get high grades" facade. That's what this sounds like, to me. Man, up, take the class, EARN the grade--you've done very well so far, there's no reason to doubt your ability to get an A in a GE!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 1 yr of Beg. Chinese pass/fail and was never questioned about the grading option during interviews...although I don't know what was discussed behind closed doors. My reason for taking it pass/fail was to remove the pressure of having to get an A so I could just have fun with trying to learn a new language from scratch. Given your 3.9 GPA, I'm pretty sure Adcoms can see that you've worked hard, and I don't see how taking one GE class pass/fail would be an issue. Have fun with it.

I took an entire quarter P/F which consisted of a GE, a class for my minor, and a random class to keep my units above full-time. No one cared; no one brought it up at all during my application process.

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated. I guess that one pass/fail can't hurt. It will let me enjoy the class more and also free up more time for the science stuff.