get ready for automatic eyeglass prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This kind of technology will never work. It can't take into effect media opacities or other ocular problems that could degrade vision. There is a reason stand alone refractions do not exist.

Remember, vision is a neurological process not just an anatomical optical system.

Try giving every hyperope their full Rx, and I will laugh at you in the unemployment line.

Members don't see this ad :)
Autorefraction is the mode of spectacle prescription in the majority of the developped world. Optometry "doctors" only exist in the US and Canada.

Last edited:
Define "worse". What exactly do you mean?

I agree that the more complicated the patient's eyeball is, the worse the refraction.

Define "worse". What exactly do you mean?

I agree that the more complicated the patient's eyeball is, the worse the refraction.

I think fonz was trying to say that the higher the refractive error/aberrations, the less reliable the Rx given by the autorefractor will be.

Sure. But that's today.

Technology will improve. Wavefront refractions are a step away. They have the potential to be more reliable than subjective.

From the looks of it...everything is becoming automated!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08136/881909-28.stm

From a pharmacy point of perspective, these machines are cool. However in reality, it does not work due to federal laws requiring pharmacists or pharmacy interns to counsel patients on new drugs (new rx, change in strength or dosage, etc) and constantly breaking down and being really slow. With that said, me and a lot of my colleagues always wanted our own personal pharmacy cashiers.