getting a D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momomango

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a freshman almost finished with my second quarter. the thing is..it seems like getting screwed over by a GE writing class, required by my college. The professor doesn't grade anything, and the TA that I have is screwing me over pretty badly. She marks me off on every single little point, show's no mercy, and always marks off my essays because my ideas do not "correlate" with hers. Its pissing the hell out of me cause this might cost me a D in this stupid class. sure i have a final to "boost" up my grade, but the TA also grades the final and for my midterm she marked off so many points. by now i'm figuring she doesn't like me, but no need to hate to the point that its costing my grade....ughh...i'm just so disgusted at how she can't teach, but marks every single point. sorry...i just needed to rant and let it out cause this quarter is one really bad quarter for me...:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Subjective grading is a difficult means to assess students sometimes. If you have a problem with the grading and if you have legitimate concerns or points about why you deserve points in areas where you have lost them, compile an ordered list of points and talk to the TA and if all else fails, to her superior (your professor)

"pissing the hell out of me" LOL. First, you're a freshman. There isn't a single thing you can do right now besides committing multiple felonies that will make or break you. Second, life isn't fair. I can think of a lot worse things than a TA who grades harshly, so recognize this and don't let it upset you to the point of distraction. Consider either dropping the class or saying **** it and do the best you can minus the stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do the best u can. You'll need to retake it anyways since you won't satisfy the requirement with a D. Do better then. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I got a D- my freshman year.

If you think you deserve higher grades on your work, you should definitely talk to the professor. I don't know why the TA would have it out for you, but maybe you can change some things to avoid this sort of problem with future TAs.

I would share your concern with your professor first and find out if there's any way you can realisticaly imporve. However, withdrawing from the class will be better for your AMCAS than re-taking it. That way it won't affect your GPA calculation. You don't wan to make it a habit, though, or else Med. School swill ask questions.