1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a DEA License

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by gapper, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. gapper

    gapper New Member

    Mar 28, 2004
    Likes Received:
    I was on www.dea.gov trying to get a dea license and it asks if the state that I have a license in has a separate DEA number...what does this mean? also, what happens if I list one state and then Id ecide to move to anotehr state?
  2. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    Some states require you to have a state issued license to dispense controlled substances (ie, New Jersey requires you to have a CDS license in addition to your DEA).

    If you list one state but then decide to move to another state, you have to notify the DEA of your change of address. If the new state doesn't require you to have an additional license, then there is nothing more to do. If it does, then of course you have to apply for that state's license as well.

    Of the top of my head, I think its around 15 states or so which require the additional license.
  3. sdn1977

    sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

    Jul 28, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Yes - you are correct & your DEA # is issued for life, even if you move or change your name - the number remains the same & its source is always on the original state's DEA database. The exception (there are always exceptions with pharmacy!) is if your DEA # is revoked. If it is reissued, it gets a new #. You just need to inform the DEA of the move (so they can send the bill to the right address), but otherwise it is good in most states.

    I agree...about 15 states have a controlled substance registration in addition to the DEA, which is federal. Some states will use it to keep track of which offices keep controlled substances on hand. So...if you have more than one office you own, you might have to purchase more registrations. These are ususally site specific rather than provider specific, I think, but CA doesn't have them, so I'm not sure about this. I do know those that do locums in these states have their controlled registrations from their home address - not a good thing I think...

    If you don't have one, leave this part blank.

Share This Page