Getting a Pod License in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scrantonicity

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-3, will be graduating in June 2012---I will probably be practicing in Texas. Anyways, there's a major issue with getting a license after residency--just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone understands it differently.

Anyway, in order to get the license you have to take a Jurisprudence test, but they say you may not sit for that exam until AFTER you graduate residency--so it is offered July 15th or around there. It says so on their website, and I called them to verify. They told me that after you take the test it takes 30 days to get the results and then you can legally start practicing.

So from June 30th to mid-late August you are basically unemployed?? I'm wondering what people are doing to start paying off those loans in July...

They told me that they are having a Board meeting in October, and this will be discussed--they weren't sure if there would actually be a change though. All I can say is there had better be...

Anybody go through this? I heard it was a new policy, so this may be the first time? Anyways, thanks for listening...

Members don't see this ad.

Call them back and ask about getting a temporary license until this is all done. They should be able to grant you one quite quickly.

The test is really quite easy. It is an oral examination that tests you on very basic in office procedures.

Good luck.

I'm prety sure that my co-res in Mich (pgy3) already took the test this past Aug. Are you sure you just didn't need to complete the min residency req (ie one or two years in most states) and have your director sign off on that?

Any news? this is what the website says (it isn't too clear): "Completion of at least 1 year of an A.P.M.A. approved (fully matriculated) residency (need proof). (Note: ♦ Every applicant shall have completed at least one year of GPME with a hospital, clinic or institution acceptable to the Board in a GPME program approved by the Council of Podiatric Medical Education of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Certified documentation of enrollment & completion in said (fully matriculated) GPME program must accompany the application to the Board for licensing. This requirement became effective at 12:01 a.m., July 1, 1995. ♦ Furthermore, pursuant to Board Rule §371.25(f)(4) ... effective at 12:01 a.m. on July 27, 2011 ... "A temporary license holder and an applicant for license under §371.7(g) of this title are not qualified by the Board as meeting the statutory and regulatory requirements for "Active" licensure until the GPME program which was actually begun/matriculated is successfully completed." Meaning, if you have enrolled in a 1-year, 2-year or 3-year residency program, you must have successfully completed the entire program to be eligible for a Texas podiatry license. Individuals who have not fully completed their matriculated residency program in it's entirety are not eligible for a Texas podiatry license. ♦ For those applicants who will be completing and graduating from their (fully matriculated) residency program by June 30th, they may apply for the July Exam as the first licensure opportunity. The Board recommends that applicants begin that application process in January by requesting an application and submitting all requisite materials by the May deadline for the July Exam. While it is understood that residents will not have graduated from their residency program by the May deadline, residents will have graduated by the time of the July Exam with proof of the same being the only outstanding requisite pending prior to the July Exam date. This scenario will allow (fully matriculated) recently graduating residents to begin the licensure process without further delay at the first available opportunity. It remains the applicant's responsibility to ensure completion of their application. ♦ The filing of an application and tendering of fees does not in any way obligate the Board to admit the applicant to examination or issue a license until such time the applicant has been approved as meeting all requirements for licensure set forth in the Board's laws and rules. No examination fee will be refunded.)"