getting a rabbit as a pet during third year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaikokujin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted a pet and due to allergies can't get a dog or a cat. I'm a bit bored with gerbils and fish. I have always wanted to get a rabbit and have the opportunity to adopt one from a shelter now. I'm usually home for at least a couple hours each night just relaxing and it would be lovely to come home to a real pet that I can let run around the house (well, a rabbit-proofed room). I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with rabbits in med school. All my searches for pets comes up with threads recommending cats. I know bunnies need at least a few hours of socialization a day and weekly cage cleaning. I wonder if it would be cruel to leave a bunny in a cage all day alone (even a big one with toys) for a few hours of socialization in the evenings - especially on my more brutal rotations. Any rabbit people out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wanted a pet and due to allergies can't get a dog or a cat. I'm a bit bored with gerbils and fish. I have always wanted to get a rabbit and have the opportunity to adopt one from a shelter now. I'm usually home for at least a couple hours each night just relaxing and it would be lovely to come home to a real pet that I can let run around the house (well, a rabbit-proofed room). I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with rabbits in med school. All my searches for pets comes up with threads recommending cats. I know bunnies need at least a few hours of socialization a day and weekly cage cleaning. I wonder if it would be cruel to leave a bunny in a cage all day alone (even a big one with toys) for a few hours of socialization in the evenings - especially on my more brutal rotations. Any rabbit people out there?

Just find a boy with low self-esteem. He won't poop and peep on your floor, yet you can still keep a captive mammal to feed this need that you have to exert absolute control over other living things.

This is where you're headed anyway. You already admit that you're "a bit bored with gerbils and fish." You'll have an intense urge to have children soon. Don't. Just find a complacent boy.

Just find a boy with low self-esteem. He won't poop and peep on your floor, yet you can still keep a captive mammal to feed this need that you have to exert absolute control over other living things.

This is where you're headed anyway. You already admit that you're "a bit bored with gerbils and fish." You'll have an intense urge to have children soon. Don't. Just find a complacent boy.

but think of how much more work a baby would be! i might even get arrested if i keep it in a cage all day....

Members don't see this ad :)
On the same tenet. Anyone here ever raise a dog while in med school from puppy to adulthood? How much time have you devoted to it? When did you start raising it and which kind of dog did you get?

On the same tenet. Anyone here ever raise a dog while in med school from puppy to adulthood? How much time have you devoted to it? When did you start raising it and which kind of dog did you get?

The general consensus I've run into talking to people is... don't. You may have time your first two years but you definitely won't have time your third year to give it the time and affection is deserves.

Owning pets is a power-grab for people who are dissatisfied with the nature of their relationships with other people.

The general consensus I've run into talking to people is... don't. You may have time your first two years but you definitely won't have time your third year to give it the time and affection is deserves.
Sounds good enough. Will msot likely get one during residency after moving in with the lady :)

If the rabbits in the pet store aren't all in separate cages, be sure to get a male. The females are very often pregnant - yes, I know this from first hand experience. You buy one rabbit and come home the next day to 4 more.

I've had 2 turtles throughout med school. They're not as cuddly as a rabbit but they don't require as much maintenance as one either, and they are more fun to watch in a good deep tank than fish. And you can let them out and they will run around your house too if that's important to you.

My friend had a water dragon which was a lot of fun that way too. And don't forget birds, most higher-order parrot-like birds are fun to play with.

My family had rabbits from the time I was 4-18. My mom is allergic to cats and gerbils and my dad didnt want a dog due to upkeep.

Rabbits aren't affectionate, they are afraid of humans pretty much their whole lives, so each time you open the cage, they will run to the back and you will have to drag them out. They're no fun to play with, but they are soft and dont make a terrible mess. They also populate, well, like bunnies so if you have two, you'll have 2^8 w/in a year.

I wouldnt reccommend it, they're just not really worth it unless you really want it. No real cons to them, just no pros either.

Rabbits aren't affectionate, they are afraid of humans pretty much their whole lives, so each time you open the cage, they will run to the back and you will have to drag them out. They're no fun to play with, but they are soft and dont make a terrible mess. They also populate, well, like bunnies so if you have two, you'll have 2^8 w/in a year.

Aw, that's just not true for all rabbits. Besides, rabbits can be spayed/neutered just like cats or dogs. They can be very affectionate indoor pets. Head over to the vet or pre-vet board for advice on housing, socializing, and raising pet house rabbits. It's great fun :)

Members don't see this ad :)
All I know is from 12+ years of experience with literally HUNDREDS of rabbits. Obvioulsy I know you can get the snip, but rabbits are fun to pet and to watch clean their paws. (Except for bunnies which are just 100% awesome)

When confronted with a rabbit I am always torn between wanting to pet it and wanting to eat it. They are two very strong urges that are difficult to reconcile.

All I know is from 12+ years of experience with literally HUNDREDS of rabbits. Obvioulsy I know you can get the snip, but rabbits are fun to pet and to watch clean their paws. (Except for bunnies which are just 100% awesome)

I don't think in all that time you've ever really tried to understand your rabbits on their own terms. They are very smart and affectionate, but they aren't like dogs, who have been bred for centuries to want to please humans no matter what. You have to actually win a rabbit's trust, they're closer to wild animals. Grabbing a rabbit is pretty much the most offensive/scary thing you can do to them.

My rabbit follows me everywhere, every time I turn around I'm practically stepping on her. She headbutts my ankles to be petted. She sits at my feet when I'm studying. She knows exactly when her dinner time is, and will start throwing around her food bowl if it's late. She knows where her treats are kept, and starts begging if I go anywhere near the cabinet. She is often sitting in front of the bathroom door waiting when I get out of the shower. She has never had the slightest problem with using her litter box. When she's in a really good mood, she'll start leaping up and down and doing twists in midair, is this form of hilarious rabbit acrobatics. It is a huge pick-me-up to stumble out of the bedroom at 6am and have a rabbit leaping around in joy just because I woke up and said hi. I don't think she's an exception to the norm, I basically just read up on rabbit behavior when I got her and acted accordingly.

Also, all female rabbits should absolutely be spayed, they have an 80% uterine cancer rate. Its the difference been a 3 year lifespan and a 10-12 year life span.

When confronted with a rabbit I am always torn between wanting to pet it and wanting to eat it. They are two very strong urges that are difficult to reconcile.

Haha I love it.

I had two bunnies (Stinky and Moose), but ended up giving them away because I was too busy and couldn't give them the time and attention they need.

So, as a compromise, I recommend bunny therapy - find the local pet store and go in on occasion to pet the bunnies. You get your bunny affection on, don't have the guilt of a neglected pet, and someone else cleans up after them. ;)

EDIT:

"Originally Posted by ghostfoot
Owning pets is a power-grab for people who are dissatisfied with the nature of their relationships with other people."

Which, I suppose, would make my proposal akin to prostitution.

I had two bunnies (Stinky and Moose), but ended up giving them away because I was too busy and couldn't give them the time and attention they need.

Hey... Quix sounds like Trix, so the Trix rabbit might be an alternative avatar for you.

I was supposed to have a rabbit when I was in 4H in elementary school. I was in the rabbit group, but my dad never got me one, so I'd be the only one at the meetings without a rabbit... kinda sad really.

I'm thinking about getting a kitten next semester.

My brothers have Jackson chameleons. Those things are awesome and low maintenance. They have the coolest eyes and feet.

Ever thought of birds? I have 2 parrots...they sit on my shoulder as I study...they've already learned to recite the amino acids...

Anyone ever owned a ferret? Is this doable in medical school? Do only dinguses own ferrets?

Theonly ferret I knew smelled bad and was blind. I think it is pretty common for them to go blind and bump into stuff. Plus they look like a snake crossed with a rat :thumbdown:

I've wanted to get a dog but unfortunately I don't think that will be happening soon. Rabbits are awesome especially if you can really train them to use a litter box and have them run about the house like a previous poster mentioned. I will have to consider that.

All I know is from 12+ years of experience with literally HUNDREDS of rabbits.

Did you keep any indoors? I spent four years showing rabbits in ARBA shows, so I've had a fair bit of experience myself beyond just a handful of house pets. The things you learn about a rabbit when you only have one or a couple is really eye-opening, and something you can't appreciate when you interact with them on a herd level.

Anyone ever owned a ferret? Is this doable in medical school? Do only dinguses own ferrets?

One of my classmates got a ferret during first year (and no, she's not an dingus). It's a very sweet little thing, and not smelly at all since they bathe her on a regular basis. She is very inquisitive though, so if they aren't careful she's good at getting herself in trouble. Not a great characteristic for pets that are going to go through periods of not much attention (finals time, etc).

Tell us more about rabbits StealthDog! Any good resources online for having rabbits as house pets that you would direct us to that google might overlook?

My college roommate had a pet rabbit that was huge. It would just roam around her parent's home and chew on socks, not cords. It was a really friendly rabbit. I think it lived to be about 14 years old.

That's another point -- keep in mind the average lifespan of a pet rabbit is around 12 years. Think about where your life might be in 5 or 10 years, and if you'll still want a rabbit at that point. I'm not saying this is true for you, but a lot of people forget that they are committing to the lifetime of the animal when they adopt a pet. Birds can live even longer -- cockatiels can live 20 years, and parrots even longer.

I have a rabbit and a dog. My rabbit mostly just sits in a corner, but always seems like she likes a little bit of interaction. I wouldn't say that she seems any different since i started med school, I show her attention when I can. Honestly who plays with one rabbit for more than an hour or so per day? She's cute but she's not exactly that engaging. My dog goes to camp everyday from 7am-7pm. She likes hanging out with other dogs and even seems to have a "best friend" there. When it's time to go in the morning she's excited, and when we get home I hang out with her for a few hours and she usually falls asleep and I go back to the library. I adopted her at 3, so I didn't do they puppy thing during medical school and wouldn't recommend trying to raise a puppy without help at home. Besides, there are plenty of awesome dogs waiting to be adopted. If she's still alive after my PhD, I plan to find a way to make it work for M3, but i know that it would be unfair to her to do it alone.

Ever thought of birds? I have 2 parrots...they sit on my shoulder as I study...they've already learned to recite the amino acids...

Oh my goodness. What species do you have?

Let me tell you, parrots are not the pet for a busy lifestyle. :scared: They require fruits/veggies on a daily basis, and hours of attention. Some may pluck out their feathers with only a few hours. They need to be out most of the day, and they are immesnsly intelligent beings.

You may like a group of budgies though. They can entertain each other during the day and at night they wouldn't mind a bit of attention. It will be quite a chore to keep them tame though.

Hey, what about a leopard gecko? They only require crickets and fresh water. You can handle them, but they are solitary animals and it's always fun to watch them eat.

Excellent online web resource for pet rabbits (and those thinking about it):
http://www.rabbit.org/

Rabbits can live 10-12 years, so that's a decade-long commitment.
Parrots can live 70+ years. It's like caging a two year old child. I don't recommend a parrot. Cockatiels, parakeets, and smaller ones like lovebirds, finches, etc., are less demanding for attention and in my opinion, make better pets versus larger parrots.

A few of my veterinary school classmates have pet rabbits. They let them out of their cages for a few hours every evening or while they study. I'd recommend having a separate space to cage the rabbit outside of your bedroom, for mental sake, in case of allergies, etc. Spaying a female is definitely advised. See the above website for some good info to help make your decision. And please adopt, don't buy.

I don't think in all that time you've ever really tried to understand your rabbits on their own terms. They are very smart and affectionate, but they aren't like dogs, who have been bred for centuries to want to please humans no matter what. You have to actually win a rabbit's trust, they're closer to wild animals. Grabbing a rabbit is pretty much the most offensive/scary thing you can do to them.

My rabbit follows me everywhere, every time I turn around I'm practically stepping on her. She headbutts my ankles to be petted. She sits at my feet when I'm studying. She knows exactly when her dinner time is, and will start throwing around her food bowl if it's late. She knows where her treats are kept, and starts begging if I go anywhere near the cabinet. She is often sitting in front of the bathroom door waiting when I get out of the shower. She has never had the slightest problem with using her litter box. When she's in a really good mood, she'll start leaping up and down and doing twists in midair, is this form of hilarious rabbit acrobatics. It is a huge pick-me-up to stumble out of the bedroom at 6am and have a rabbit leaping around in joy just because I woke up and said hi. I don't think she's an exception to the norm, I basically just read up on rabbit behavior when I got her and acted accordingly.

Also, all female rabbits should absolutely be spayed, they have an 80% uterine cancer rate. Its the difference been a 3 year lifespan and a 10-12 year life span.

Agreed. Rabbits can make absolutely wonderful pets. I have had 12+ years of rabbit experience (as pets, working in a rabbit only shelter, and vet clinics), and each of my rabbits have had distinct personalities and been part of the family.

My rabbits are all litter trained and freely run around the house when I'm home. They jump up on my lap when I study, make a ruckus when it's dinner time, and one will hop on my bed to wake me up. All of mine have lived 9+ years in good health.

But you have to understand they're not like a dog or cat. If you want something to pick up, cuddle to pieces, and play with at your will - you should find a different species. Rabbits are fantastic, but you have to get to know them on their terms. As HelenaP said, you have to win their trust.

As cute and cuddly as they may seem, rabbits generally don't like being picked up -- in the wild the only time their feet leave the ground is when they've been caught as prey by birds -- so their initial response is fear.

Some rabbits are just cuddlebugs, and yours can grow into it. But don't get a rabbit expecting that it's going to like being picked up and petted right away. Also, rabbits are fairly fragile. A bad fall from being poorly held can result in a broken spine.

Please spay AND neuter your rabbits. Even if you only have a male. After being neutered, males are much easier to litter train. They are, in my experience, much calmer. And they quit spraying urine everywhere. Which I'd assume you want. They'll have a longer lifespan too.

One more caution -- the 'rabbit cages' they sell in pet stores are far from the ideal way to keep a rabbit. Since you'd be gone most of the day I'd recommend an exercise pen. See http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/adoption/Cages/cage.html for good housing ideas. Pens are the best way to go in my experience.

For the OP:

Are you allergic to hay? Rabbits require hay. And not just the little tiny bags they sell at pet stores, they're way too expensive and not enough hay. A rabbit should have always have access to plentiful hay.

If you're going to be gone most of the day, consider getting a pair of rabbits. A single rabbit can get lonely and would appreciate a companion if you're gone all the time. If you adopt from a shelter (http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/index.html) they may already have a bonded pair. Please adopt from a shelter.

Anyhoo, rabbits can make wonderful pets. There's just a lot to know -- and the pet stores will not tell you! If anyone has questions about rabbits, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Whatever happened to owning plants? I got pretty close to a cactus a few years back. It died, and I'm still suffering through the emotional turmoil. I can't even look at a bottle of tequila anymore...

Oh, Spiny!!! Why did you ever have to leave!!!

i have an Amazon parrot and a Severe macaw...

It's true that parrots need a lot of attention and stimulation. I've had mine for over 10 years, so they're used to my crazy hours and sporadic playtimes. (wake up birdy, lets play hide and seek at 3am...) They make for great company.

I worked in a research lab with finches, though. They require minimal care, don't make a lot of noise, and are pretty cheap ($10/each as opposed to thousands for my parrots)

Do NOT get a ferret.

Ferrets are lovely pets. A little stinky, but highly rewarding and entertaining. However, they are a large time commitment, they need time out of the cage to run and play, and caring for them and cleaning up after them takes forever.

i want to have a pet rabbit too but some of my friends say that having a bunny is like having a messy house..=)

What is your motivation for owning beasts?

from your url:

"philias are the attractions and positive feelings that people have toward certain habitats, activities, and objects in their natural surroundings."

Your apartment is not an animal's "natural surrounding"!

The url that you posted deals with enjoying animals in nature, not buying one to keep in your studio apartment in hopes that another creature might show you affection.

From your url:

"A sword-and-sorcery fantasy about a young man's search for revenge. Armed with supernatural powers, the handsome hero and his animal allies wage war against marauding forces."

Why not make some human friends and leave the captive animals out of your fantasies?

I've found very few friends willing to climb up my enemies pant legs and bite them in the junk.

Whatever happened to owning plants? I got pretty close to a cactus a few years back. It died, and I'm still suffering through the emotional turmoil. I can't even look at a bottle of tequila anymore...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

personally, i've decided to buy my boyfriend a puppy for his birthday to satisfy my desire to control two beasts at once. plus, it's kinda like having a baby to save a relationship. i think it's going to be FABULOUS...