1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a residency after an Irish med school?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by jane2, Nov 16, 2005.

1. jane2

jane2 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm a UK citizen considering med school in Ireland. One of my primary motivations for considering the Irish med schools is that I understand they have good links to American residency programs and that if I go to an Irish school I might have a better chance of being accepted into a good US residency. Is this true, do you think? Are Irish medical schools well-known in US med schools? Better known than UK schools?

If anyone has any information I'd appreciate it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Irish med schools are well-reputed in the US. But I can't say that they're any better known than a strong UK med school. I wouldn't choose an Irish university over a UK one on the basis that you might think it'll be better for US residency, because I don't think it'll have weight. What will have weight is how well you do on your USMLE steps, having clinical elective experience in the US, and the good UK schools (most of them) would be known by most academic circles.