Getting a small, chill dog during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apr27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads, seen all the comments, etc...but thought I would ask the Anesthesiology forum.

Anyone been able to successfully care for a dog during residency? Most people I asked on the trail said they got a dog actually and so did a lot of their peers. Caveat, is that they have a SO, which I don't at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend against it unless you're going to pay for doggy daycare. Dogs have social needs and don't use litter boxes, and you'll be working 24+ hour shifts. I recommend a cat during residency. Lower maintenance, doesn't mind being left alone all day, doesn't require walks, won't destroy your pantry. Get a dog only when you're ready to take care of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I recommend against it unless you're going to pay for doggy daycare. Dogs have social needs and don't use litter boxes, and you'll be working 24+ hour shifts. I recommend a cat during residency. Lower maintenance, doesn't mind being left alone all day, doesn't require walks, won't destroy your pantry. Get a dog only when you're ready to take care of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Yeah. I would def get doggy daycare. However, I definitely understand what you're talking about it. Appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in residency, but having owned a few dogs, I would recommend against it unless you have a SO. Dog daycare is great but if the dog spends more time there than with you then you are being a tad selfish. Realize that the dog is likely to consider daycare home at that point and you would be the guy who takes him away frequently. It's not just being social, it's about stability. Dogs without a semistable schedule often have behavioral issues and high anxiety. I'm not saying people haven't pulled it off, but finding a dog (regardless of breed) that matches well to that lifestyle is far from common. I agree with the other poster. Get a cat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

It's doable. I got lucky with a chill rescue. But I do have a SO, which helps on the 24hr call days, though they are rare. Most days I could walk it 3 times on my own, and then use a walking service the other times. It might be a little selfish to get a dog when you're not 100% able to care for it, but really, what's worse, your 75% companionship, or the SPCA?

Just plan it out. Take a normal week, and assume you'd have to take it out at least 2, but probably 3 times a day. How many of those 14-21 walks would you be around for? Can you afford to pay someone else to walk it the other times? Also think about the finances of it. Could you afford a sudden vet bill? Got room in the budget for dog food?What about other breeds aside from the small ones? Greyhounds are pretty awesome, and remarkably chill. They're used to crates, so a small apartment is a castle to them.

Overall I'm really happy that we have one. It's a low maintenance companion and every time we come home from work, it's so excited to see us, you'd think it thought we had left for good.

Got a mini-poodle/cocker spaniel mix puppy about a year-and-a-half before the end of residency but had a SO to help. Lots of work, but she’s fortunately now a mostly chill dog. My other classmates who had dogs also had spouses, so I’d recommend against getting one unless you have help or are willing to pay a lot for doggy daycare. Many classmates had cats.

Right when I graduated college I got a basset hound puppy. Had that dog all through med school and residency. Great breed that is happy to sleep 20hrs/day and did something that made me laugh at loud at least once a day. If no SO, then at least a roommate that is a dog person and is happy to help out on call days is key. Daily doggy daycare is gonna be a killer on resident salary. Having a dog forced me outta the house everyday, and kept me active. You need to make sure you've got help from somebody though so that dog has its needs met everyday.

Reactions: 3 users
Have a cat and a dog during residency. Most difficult thing was moving house. Some cities landlords just will not even think about taking you

Yeah. I would def get doggy daycare. However, I definitely understand what you're talking about it. Appreciate it.

The question is how are you going to get the dog to daycare? Every one I have ever been to doesn't open until well after you would be at the hospital in the morning.

I'll add something that just came to mind. You can't Bank on daycare. It's definitely possible that your dog won't do well in daycare and they'll refuse to take him or will keep him isolated in a kennel all day. In that case the dog would be better off at home. You can hire a walker but that's pretty pricey to get the dog out a reasonable amount of times.

Agree with others. Unless you have an SO its a no go. Even with a working SO (in a non medical field) we occasionally have to use dog walking servies like WAG to get by. it would be impossible as a single working resident.

if you must, get a cat

Ugh here's to 4 more dogless years. This is no way to live.

Mildly considering getting into a superficial ill-advised relationship with a hot stranger just so I can have a dog...

I have a dog that I definitely won't be getting rid of during residency...

I had a career before medical school where 90 hour work weeks weren't uncommon. The only way I can make this work is having a house with a fenced in back yard PLUS a doggie door. Pooch lets himself in and out at his convenience, chases the occasional squirrel, loves life. On tuesdays and thursdays I hire a dog walker to get him out of the house for 45 minutes. I'm happy, he's happy.

If you are in an apartment or can't have your own yard area, I wouldn't advise it.

Another option to get your dog fix. “Volunteer” at a local shelter walking dogs when you have some spare time. I did this in college. Good for me and good for the dogs.

I do like the hot stranger idea though. Maybe just find one with a dog already so when things implode you don’t have to worry about the dog.

I have a dog that I definitely won't be getting rid of during residency...

I had a career before medical school where 90 hour work weeks weren't uncommon. The only way I can make this work is having a house with a fenced in back yard PLUS a doggie door. Pooch lets himself in and out at his convenience, chases the occasional squirrel, loves life. On tuesdays and thursdays I hire a dog walker to get him out of the house for 45 minutes. I'm happy, he's happy.

If you are in an apartment or can't have your own yard area, I wouldn't advise it.
I definitely understand that, circumstances like yours are a rarity. I discourage it as someone who has had a great Dane for several years and a SO. My circumstances aren't easy for finding housing when my dog choice is 183 pounds but I'll be damned if I will ever get rid of him. That doesn't mean I would EVER recommend it.

It's doable. I got lucky with a chill rescue. But I do have a SO, which helps on the 24hr call days, though they are rare. Most days I could walk it 3 times on my own, and then use a walking service the other times. It might be a little selfish to get a dog when you're not 100% able to care for it, but really, what's worse, your 75% companionship, or the SPCA?

Just plan it out. Take a normal week, and assume you'd have to take it out at least 2, but probably 3 times a day. How many of those 14-21 walks would you be around for? Can you afford to pay someone else to walk it the other times? Also think about the finances of it. Could you afford a sudden vet bill? Got room in the budget for dog food?What about other breeds aside from the small ones? Greyhounds are pretty awesome, and remarkably chill. They're used to crates, so a small apartment is a castle to them.

Overall I'm really happy that we have one. It's a low maintenance companion and every time we come home from work, it's so excited to see us, you'd think it thought we had left for good.

I have a greyhound!!!!
I got extremely lucky with him.
Not yet in Med school (Gunning for 2020) but I'm banking on his super chill nature for when the time comes...
I accidentally (fell asleep while helping my friend move) left him for almost 12 hrs and I was prepared to receive a mess when I got home but my sweet boy waited for me. I felt really bad but I was so proud of him!!

I've read a few threads, seen all the comments, etc...but thought I would ask the Anesthesiology forum.

Anyone been able to successfully care for a dog during residency? Most people I asked on the trail said they got a dog actually and so did a lot of their peers. Caveat, is that they have a SO, which I don't at the moment.
Didn't have an SO, but my flatmate and I (both residents) used to take turns.

I waited until the very end of fellowship to get a dog. A pug that has grown to be super trust worthy and a great older brother to his lil bro (a French bulldog). I have a SO that had been living with me for a few months to share in all the fun. I’m glad I waited because it just wouldn’t have been fair to the dog when I was a resident living in an apt by myself and working 12+ hr days.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

When I was in residency my neighbor, another resident, got a dog and hired a dog walker to come over every day. The problems are 1) paying, 2) finding someone you trust with your key, 3) the dog is still alone a lot.
I got a chill little dog. Problem was he was only chill when people were around. He freaked out when left alone. He peed all over himself and would get wedged into the gate trying to squeeze through and escape.
Getting a little older dog that can tolerate being alone a fair amount would be an option though I tend to think adult dogs are usually available for a reason other than being chill.