Getting California preceptor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjaf05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a pharmacy student in Pennsylvania but originally from California. My school gives total of 1440 hours on rotations for APPE. I know California requires additional 900 hours outside of school, Oregon doesn't require additional hours since it takes 1440 from school, and Washington state requires additional 60 hours (since they require 1500 hours and take 1440 from school). I'm eligible for Oregon but want to do 60 hours for Washington to be eligible for 2 states.

From CA pharmacy board website for pharmacist under preceptor (http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/licensees_info.shtml#preceptor), it says no additional registration required to be a preceptor. So this means if you find a preceptor, they can be your preceptor immediately? Your hours under them start counting immediately? Aren't there forms you and your preceptor fill out that says how many hours you do under them? Can any interns in California help, I'm unsure on this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I went to school out of state too and did some rotations in Cali, so here's my experience: The hours you need to fulfill for Cali are all self reported. California doesn't require an additional 900 hours, you only need to get 60 to complete the 1500 hours. You need to get each one of your preceptors to sign off on your rotations - technically it's cheating as you won't really be in a pharmacy for those 900 required hours e.g., ambulatory/acute med rotations are not "officially" done in the pharmacy. It's up to your preceptors if they wanna sign off on those but I doubt the board would audit you.

If you're able to find some intern work (paid or volunteer) outside of your rotations, get those hours signed off. As for preceptorship w/Cali pharmacists, I'd check w/your school coordinator or whoever's in charge of rotations to see what you'd have to do.

Here's the affidavit you and the preceptor have to fill out: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/intern_hours_affidavit.pdf