Getting discouraged

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my PSAT's back and I didn't do that great. I got what would equate to a 1350/2400 on the SAT I. I also have a B in Chemistry and a B in Math.

I'm so annoyed. I mean, I know PSAT's don't mean anything but its just so annoying because I know I can do much better than this.

What I'm really upset about is that I don't have an A in my science and math classes. I want to be pre med in college but I don't even know if I can get into a really good college now. I want to be a doctor but I am getting B's and C's in basic chemistry. I want to be a physician soooo much but I am not getting A's in my basic high school sciences courses and it is really discouraging me.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I got my PSAT's back and I didn't do that great. I got what would equate to a 1350/2400 on the SAT I. I also have a B in Chemistry and a B in Math.

I'm so annoyed. I mean, I know PSAT's don't mean anything but its just so annoying because I know I can do much better than this.

Thoughts?
I though in your earlier posts you said you could get into NYU. With a 1350, that's impossible. PSAT's do mean something: They predict how you will do on the sat. You'd better start studying.

:scared:Not even out of highschool and already acting like a pre med. Learn to relax you will live longer and be happier. It's just a practice test not the end of your life. If you don't get into your dream school thats fine. You can get into medschool from ANY college. Just concentrate and work hard in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the PSAT score as a motivator and study hard for the SAT.

Also, in the event that you don't go to a "really good" college, the good news is that you matter much more than your college to the med school admissions committees. I go to what would be considered a crappy college, and I still got into med school.

So definetly try to get the best grades/SAT score you can and concentrated on getting into the college you want. Don't worry about either of these things locking you out of a future career, you'll have plenty of time for those worries in college:).

I though in your earlier posts you said you could get into NYU. With a 1350, that's impossible. PSAT's do mean something: They predict how you will do on the sat. You'd better start studying.

I've wised up since then, NYU is too expensive, it is a great school though. I couldn't get into NYU without like a 2100. I didn't study for the PSAT. I have taken practice SAT's and done much better than that I'm just surprised I scored that low.

High school grades do not necessarily correlate with undergrad grades. The more important thing than the grades is the study habits. If you develop good ones (and try several to see which suit you), you will do well in college. In high school, I remember, it's hard to balance taking 7-8 classes, being there all day, extracurriculars, and feeling so darn tired of school after being there for 8 hours that it's difficult to get motivated. In college, your schedule will be more your own to make and you'll only balance 4-5 classes that meet 2-4 times a week, but you'll have to be more self motivated on studying, since there usually won't be homework to help you keep up. So the basic equation is high school performance =/= college performance. (I'm sure that's easy math! :laugh:)

Also, I got a 1250/1600 on my PSAT, which kept me out of National Merit, but got a 1530/1600 (780M, 750V) on the real SATs. (Obviously on the old scale because I took them 11 years ago! Egads I'm old!) But just work on it, and you'll get there.

And also, the classes are usually more interesting and applicable in college, so you'll have that working for you. Although I do remember sitting in Intro Bio and hearing about plant reproduction wondering why I had to know that stuff!

So the basic equation is high school performance =/= college performance. (I'm sure that's easy math! :laugh:)

High school math:

I spent everyday 1 hour even on the weekend to study math and I am feeling I just f***ed up the test. I used every strategy to structure the time to study effectively and stuff and the result is this. :mad:

But I will never ever give up

High school math:

I spent everyday 1 hour even on the weekend to study math and I am feeling I just f***ed up the test. I used every strategy to structure the time to study effectively and stuff and the result is this. :mad:

But I will never ever give up

I know what you mean.:(

jefgreen said:
Well, I got my PSAT's back

How did you get your scores back? Do they send them to you personally, or does your school give them out? Just wondering because I haven't gotten mine back yet...hopefully I did well, though :xf:

And also, I would not worry too much about it. The PSAT is just practice, and now you know to study extra-hard for the SAT. Good luck:luck:

I've wised up since then, NYU is too expensive, it is a great school though. I couldn't get into NYU without like a 2100. I didn't study for the PSAT. I have taken practice SAT's and done much better than that I'm just surprised I scored that low.

Somethings not adding up here. You practiced for the SAT by taking practice SAT's and scoring high on them? Well, by practicing for the SAT you practiced for the PSAT at the same time (PSAT is easier). Mabe you should stop trying to make excuses for your grades and use it as a wake up call; clearly, your practice isn't working, and you need to try something else.

What I'm really upset about is that I don't have an A in my science and math classes. I want to be pre med in college but I don't even know if I can get into a really good college now. I want to be a doctor but I am getting B's and C's in basic chemistry. I want to be a physician soooo much but I am not getting A's in my basic high school sciences courses and it is really discouraging me.

Thoughts?
Yeah, spend less time daydreaming about becoming a doctor and spend more time STUDYING YOUR BUTT OFF.

There's no love like tough love. :mad::thumbup:

Yeah, spend less time daydreaming about becoming a doctor and spend more time STUDYING YOUR BUTT OFF.

Dude, why are you online talking smack to high schoolers. Get a life, or at least a past time.

Shouldn't you be interviewing for residency?

blah blah blah I'm a loser blah blah
Shouldn't you be interviewing for residency?
What do you think I've been doing during the daytime? Its 6 pm, genius.

But since you asked, I have a TY interview tomorrow morning thank-you-very-much.

Tough love arrived in the form of a low PSAT score. Try a little encouragement.

I got a D one quarter in high school chem and did no better than a B for the year, but I learned it when it mattered in college and minored in chem.

Study more.