Getting DVM school pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rampant09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so currently I am getting a B.A in Psychology (I am a senior this Fall) but I have been trying to figure out how to get into Veterinary School once I graduate. I really want to finish my degree as opposed to changing majors and graduating late. I have recently come to this decision so I do not have any sciences beyond a full year of simple biology. I really just need help with how to go about getting INTO vet school. Would I be better off simply doing the required courses or going back and getting a Bacc. in a science? By better off I mean as far as getting into a program.. NOT financially or time-saving :). Please Please HELP! :confused::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Would I be better off simply doing the required courses or going back and getting a Bacc. in a science? By better off I mean as far as getting into a program.. NOT financially or time-saving :). Please Please HELP! :confused::scared:

Just do the pre-reqs. Doing a full second degree isn't necessary and going to improve your chances.

Just do the pre-reqs. Then (when you talk about it in PS's, interviews, ect.) your psych degree becomes another step on your Road to Choosing Veterinary Medicine or an indicator of your awesome Diversity of Intellectual Interests. Or both.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are tons of post-bacc programs out there that you could look into. i'm currently in one and there is a guy who graduated with a degree in music engineering who is also in the program (i went to business school and worked for a few year). granted he's doing pre-med, but it's a good program to get into - especially if you're looking for a bit of guidance throughout the process (AND possibly being able to sign up for classes before the rest of the ugrads). having a cohort also doesn't hurt :)

I would just do the pre-reqs if I were you. I have heard of many people getting into vet school with degrees that have nothing to do with veterinary medicine. Such as, theatre and english. You're degree does relate to vet med I think. Because, psychology involves the study of animal behavior as well as human. So I don't think it is anything to worry about.

BA in Psychology here, and starting vet school in 2 weeks. :) You'll be fine with just pre-reqs. At least, as long as WI is representative of most other schools.

I would just do the pre-reqs if I were you. I have heard of many people getting into vet school with degrees that have nothing to do with veterinary medicine. Such as, theatre and english. QUOTE]

...and French :D

I wouldn't bother to change majors. Just do the pre-reqs. That's what everyone's said, so I'm just adding another voice to the crowd, but I'm speaking from personal experience and it actually seemed to help my chances, rather than hurt them. Made me "stand out from the crowd". That being said, I also had a really significant amount of vet experience, so start racking that up right away if you can.

I'm looking at studying abroad for the maymester. The prerequisites for UGA include upperlevel biology courses. The program I am interested in is poul 4150, Avian Biology. Do you think that will count as a prerequisite for biology?

I'm looking at studying abroad for the maymester. The prerequisites for UGA include upperlevel biology courses. The program I am interested in is poul 4150, Avian Biology. Do you think that will count as a prerequisite for biology?

More than likely not. If I am making the correct assumption the class that you listed is in the animal science or poultry science department of you're school. Biology pre-reqs are taken in the Biology department of you're school. Generally the Biology credits include; General Biology 1and2, Cellular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, and several other elective Biology courses. But, all of these must be taken in the Biology department. Each school may vary as to the specific classes they require.

I don't think so, because of it's specificity, but I don't know. Usually the type of courses they have in mind are more general, as others have listed above. Since every school has a different definition for what would satisfy a biology pre req or what can be substituted for that, I would just call the admissions office to see what they accept. I contacted the admissions office at my school to see what they would accept in place of Bio II (the only upper-level pre-req listed on my school's website). It would be a quick and definitive answer.

Ok, thank you. I will call them and ask, but even if it won't count, it might just be a cool thing to do in Costa Rica and maybe look good on an application. Either way, if I get the money, I will probably go on that trip. Although there is also one where you help with spaying/neutering of the dogs and cats there and get to dissect different animals, such as jaguars. That would be cool, too. :)

I also thought there was a rule about pre-req classes and studying abroad - that pre-reqs can only be taken in the United States. Is that not true anymore? Perhaps this has changed in the past two years . . . ?

I also thought there was a rule about pre-req classes and studying abroad - that pre-reqs can only be taken in the United States. Is that not true anymore? Perhaps this has changed in the past two years . . . ?

From VMCAS:

If you took classes as part of an education abroad program , you should not list the international institution on your institution list. In this case, your education abroad courses will appear on your U.S. (or Canadian) institutional transcript as regular credit. If you mistakenly list your education abroad institution in the Postsecondary Schools Attended section, VMCAS colleges may stop processing your application to wait for a separate transcript report from that institution.

If you took classes overseas that were not part of an education abroad program , the VMCAS colleges require a foreign transcript evaluation report from one of the three transcript evaluation services listed below, for each foreign institution you attended. Some CVMs may have slightly different policies on this, so we strongly encourage applicants to contact the schools for more information if their descriptor page does not provide an answer. Failure to submit the international evaluation report may halt the processing of your application and your file will be incomplete.

I was told that the classes will be on my normal college transcript, because UGA has a campus in Costa Rica and the classes will be taken there and taught by UGA professors coming with us from the Athens, Ga campus.

I was told that the classes will be on my normal college transcript, because UGA has a campus in Costa Rica and the classes will be taken there and taught by UGA professors coming with us from the Athens, Ga campus.

Then yer just one step ahead of all of us!

I would just do the pre-req. classes.

Although, depending on where you are going, you can look into degree programs that contain your pre-req classes. This is what I'm doing, since I already have a degree in Criminal Justice. Same as you, its a BA, so no science required. Since I already have the university classes like humanities covered, all I need for a second degree is that specific degree's requirements. So, I am an Animal Science major, but they have a Pre-Vet concentration, which covers all of the vet school requirements, plus a few animal science classes. Right now, I'm taking only the pre-reqs, but if for some reason I don't get in next year when I apply, I'll just take the rest of the Animal Science classes to boost my overall GPA, and then I'll have a BA and a BS. If I get in, then I won't worry about the second degree. Plus, those Animal Science classes give me exposure to animals. Don't think I can count it for the application, but at least I'll have a bit of background about specific animals like equine and cattle.

Plus, those Animal Science classes give me exposure to animals. Don't think I can count it for the application, but at least I'll have a bit of background about specific animals like equine and cattle.

BlueGoose,
I never took any animal science courses, so I don't know from experience personally (and my search-fu isn't working so well right now), but from what I remember reading around here, you should mention animal science courses where you had hands-on experience.

And what I mean by mention, is that others have talked about listing such experiences specifically on their application. Obviously Netflix+posting makes me lose some focus...

BlueGoose,
I never took any animal science courses, so I don't know from experience personally (and my search-fu isn't working so well right now), but from what I remember reading around here, you should mention animal science courses where you had hands-on experience.

And what I mean by mention, is that others have talked about listing such experiences specifically on their application. Obviously Netflix+posting makes me lose some focus...

Thanks for the advice! I was kind of leaning that way, but haven't got to the point where I actually narrow down my experiences into a list yet.

Don't worry, Netflix does that to me too....