Getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flypod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would see what everyone thought. I currently have a 3.2 and a 2.79 science. I have not taken the MCAT yet but fair I will do average or better.

Do I have a shot? I'd really like to attend OCPM.

??

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I would see what everyone thought. I currently have a 3.2 and a 2.79 science. I have not taken the MCAT yet but fair I will do average or better.

Do I have a shot? I'd really like to attend OCPM.

??

u do have a chance at OCPM or Barry. But apply as soon as u can. U can even opt for DAT if u r applying only to OCPM. iam saying this bcoz seeing ur science GPA i doubt if u cud do better in MCAT which is very hard compared to DAT. and DAT doesnt have any physics component in it.

Note: Take DAT only if u wanna apply only to OCPM and Barry. other schools accept only MCAT.

u think there'd be any shot at NYCPM by chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
u think there'd be any shot at NYCPM by chance?

dude u may have a chance for NYCPM. but here's the thing, NYCPM is too slow in response. atleast from my personal expereience and from other friends whom i know personally. it may take a month or even two to hear from NYCPM. i wud say sure take a chance at NYCPM but apply to 3-4 other schools and start interviewing. NYCPM takes DAT.

dude u may have a chance for NYCPM. but here's the thing, NYCPM is too slow in response. atleast from my personal expereience and from other friends whom i know personally. it may take a month or even two to hear from NYCPM. i wud say sure take a chance at NYCPM but apply to 3-4 other schools and start interviewing. NYCPM takes DAT.

maybe NYCPM takes longer because they actually review your application and wait for LORs and transcripts before interviewing (unless it is late in the game). Other schools interview before obtaining a complete profile/record of the student.

When I applied it took a month between applying to being accepted. I applied in April, went to an open house for interviews a week later and then in another week I heard that I had been accepted. I also called to set up the interview because I knew I'd be in NYC.

If a school interviews everyone, and calls for interviews within a week w/out LORs and transcripts - you should second guess that a little.

maybe NYCPM takes longer because they actually review your application and wait for LORs and transcripts before interviewing (unless it is late in the game). Other schools interview before obtaining a complete profile/record of the student.

When I applied it took a month between applying to being accepted. I applied in April, went to an open house for interviews a week later and then in another week I heard that I had been accepted. I also called to set up the interview because I knew I'd be in NYC.

If a school interviews everyone, and calls for interviews within a week w/out LORs and transcripts - you should second guess that a little.

Exactly, may of the people that I have seen posting on here are getting a little to excited. You need to question schools that set up interviews ASAP and accept you ASAP. Why are they in such a hurry? I don't mean to hurt anyones ego, but I'm pretty sure it is not b/c you are the best pre-pod student of all time.

Exactly, may of the people that I have seen posting on here are getting a little to excited. You need to question schools that set up interviews ASAP and accept you ASAP. Why are they in such a hurry? I don't mean to hurt anyones ego, but I'm pretty sure it is not b/c you are the best pre-pod student of all time.

May be they have very efficient and qualified staff who does there job properly:laugh: bcoz of which they are processing the applications soon. i also support the idea of inviting students with incomplete application is unfair. but if a student has a file complete, that is all LORs and transcripts have reached the school. then its fine with me if the school calls me even the second day after Applying. Keep in mind one thing, the AACPM application opened on Sep-6, but many of us(atleast me) had already send the LORs and transcripts in mind august or late august. so they already had everything.

May be they have very efficient and qualified staff who does there job properly:laugh: bcoz of which they are processing the applications soon. i also support the idea of inviting students with incomplete application is unfair. but if a student has a file complete, that is all LORs and transcripts have reached the school. then its fine with me if the school calls me even the second day after Applying. Keep in mind one thing, the AACPM application opened on Sep-6, but many of us(atleast me) had already send the LORs and transcripts in mind august or late august. so they already had everything.

I'm all for efficiency, but seriously have you thought about why they are so "efficient?" Do they need you money that bad???

I'm all for efficiency, but seriously have you thought about why they are so "efficient?" Do they need you money that bad???

Naah i mean, if they have all required documents and a person has their required STATS, what do u want them to wait for. Do u just want them to wait as a formality. And in the early application phase, there are very few applicants, so its not that much big thing.

But if u compare to Medical Schools and Dental schools where there applicants in thousands, Things are different, but our field is a very small field with a very low pool of applicants. We hardly have more than a couple thousand applicants. And even in that, there are many who just apply to the big three (Iowa, Chicago and AZPOD). the other schools are mainly backup schools. (if u just search on this forum alone, 90% of them wanna go AZPOD or Iowa:thumbup: ) many dont even bother applying to other schools unless they are coming from that region and it is convenient for them.

So the applicants applying to those low tier schools are very low and i think they can handle that much work load. Now u can see AZPOD, its so busy that it hasnt even responded back and on the other hand a lower tier school is inviting people for interview left and right. So i think it depends from school to school. The schools that r in demand take their own time where as the schools where nobody wanna go and have less applicant pool and they are not that much busy and they repsond to u within days.

i shud not mention school names here, but one person was saying that, barry invited him for interview and he hadnt even send his transcripts and LORs:eek: . if that person was saying the truth, that is really bad and as u said in previous post, i wud definetly doubt the intentions of the school. are they so desperate that they are just inviting on the basis of application.

But as i said earlier, if a school has all required documents and is not busy then it shud not keep applicants waiting. it shud respond as soon as it can.

Naah i mean, if they have all required documents and a person has their required STATS, what do u want them to wait for. Do u just want them to wait as a formality. And in the early application phase, there are very few applicants, so its not that much big thing.

But if u compare to Medical Schools and Dental schools where there applicants in thousands, Things are different, but our field is a very small field with a very low pool of applicants. We hardly have more than a couple thousand applicants. And even in that, there are many who just apply to the big three (Iowa, Chicago and AZPOD). the other schools are mainly backup schools. (if u just search on this forum alone, 90% of them wanna go AZPOD or Iowa:thumbup: ) many dont even bother applying to other schools unless they are coming from that region and it is convenient for them.

So the applicants applying to those low tier schools are very low and i think they can handle that much work load. Now u can see AZPOD, its so busy that it hasnt even responded back and on the other hand a lower tier school is inviting people for interview left and right. So i think it depends from school to school. The schools that r in demand take their own time where as the schools where nobody wanna go and have less applicant pool and they are not that much busy and they repsond to u within days.

i shud not mention school names here, but one person was saying that, barry invited him for interview and he hadnt even send his transcripts and LORs:eek: . if that person was saying the truth, that is really bad and as u said in previous post, i wud definetly doubt the intentions of the school. are they so desperate that they are just inviting on the basis of application.

But as i said earlier, if a school has all required documents and is not busy then it shud not keep applicants waiting. it shud respond as soon as it can.

Barry is notorious for doing this. When I went down to interview there last Dec., they told me that their classes were filling up really fast and there wouldn't be many seats avaliable soon. :scared: Yeah, right:laugh:

When I applied online, they contacted me within a couple days. I believe it must be an automated system, because they were still partially closed at that time from the hurricane and it was really hard contacting them until a week later to set up an interview. At that time, they said they couldn't interview for at least a couple more weeks because of all the damage around the school. This was in October and I had to get accepted to Scholl first, before checking out another school.

Why would you wait??? Personally, I think that the minimum stats are too low. If I was a pod school I would have an early app date and evaluate all early apps then; comparing them to each other and the "average" stats.

How can any school expect to raise the bar if they are settling for the "average person." We want more respect yet if you have a 3.0 you're in. Application pool size does have some effect but I'm of the mind set that the product is only as good as the raw materials.

I received invites to Scholl, DMU, and Ohio without any LOR's or transcripts so even the "top tier" schools do that.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you wait??? Personally, I think that the minimum stats are too low. If I was a pod school I would have an early app date and evaluate all early apps then; comparing them to each other and the "average" stats.

How can any school expect to raise the bar if they are settling for the "average person." We want more respect yet if you have a 3.0 you're in. Application pool size does have some effect but I'm of the mind set that the product is only as good as the raw materials.

Oh common dude! we cud go on debating this topic. Do u really think Podiatry has achieved that status in US of A that people with 3.5 GPA or higher MCAT scores will leave Medical Schools and apply there. Schools will have to go bankrupt if they set those expectation. And u know wat, its not the fault of school also. its the demand ration. there isnt much demand of podiatry among pre-med students. many dont even know wat podiatry is and many think its a inferior to medschool. And bcoz of this our profession is getting hurt very badly. There are very few applicants, they dont have good stats, and many shameless Med rejects also enter this field. They enter in and they suffer.

The truth is that many Pre-meds still consider Podiatry as a back up option. When they fail to get in, they apply to Pod. tats why if u observe the statistics u can see the number of Podiatry applications rise from January to July. Suppose if these people were really interested in applying to Pod, why didnt they applied early. The reason is they first try their luck at Osteo, MD and Dental Schools and when they dont get in, they start applying to Pod school in the late end of the year.

Its abt supply-demand. education is also a business. May be the schools really want to have a good class but they are helpless. even they have to survive. Cali got bankrupt twice. So many schools went on to get affiliation with universities and sometimes bringing down their standards just so that they cud survive. Its like this, Suppose i open an authentic indian restaurant in a middle class neighborhood and i want to give the best to my customers, so i get all my spices and indegrients right from india and of a very excellent quality. Now this means i have to pay extra for that import charges and quality. now bcoz of that additional expenditure i keep my prices high. But nobody shows up as no one cud afford it in the neighborhood and i start going in loss. then, i stop importing spices and buy the local thing and use not so good quality indegrients and reduce the price so that my business runs so that all cud afford it and my business runs and i cud survive. the schools are same. if they keep a GPA of 3.5 or MCAT of 28 or 29 like MD schools. i doubt even one school will have a full class or leave full class atleast half class.

Its not the school, its we the students who define our admission standards. We dont have competion, we dont have good GPA students applying to our program so that the school raised the bar. i really believe schools want to raise the bar and have quality students but they have no option. they have to settle for lower end products. Now i dont know what cud be done to increase the competition.

Do u really think Podiatry has achieved that status in US of A that people with 3.5 GPA or higher MCAT scores will leave Medical Schools and apply there.

if they keep a GPA of 3.5 or MCAT of 28 or 29 like MD schools. i doubt even one school will have a full class or leave full class atleast half class.

I am sure you are aware, but the average undergraduate GPA for the AZPOD Class of 2010 was about 3.5 this year and the average MCAT was somewhere around a 26 from what I have heard. These figures are not very far from what you are talking about. Additionally, one student has a PhD in Organic Chemistry and at least 4 others have masters degrees in various fields.

I think you are correct that it would be hard to fill all of the schools right now with such applicants. However, the schools of podiatric medicine across the nation should tighten up the standards a little each year. As they do so, competitive applicants will be more inclined to apply to podiatric medical schools. I really believe this. It has been my observation that competitive students want competitive professions. Some students who might have found podiatry to be a fulfilling profession probably haven't applied because it is "too easy" to gain admissions. This will change as schools tighten up entrance criteria.

AZPOD Rocks

I have to agree with the above statements. Most people I know believe that people apply to podiatry once they've applied to MD school and havent been accepted.

I once had a professor tell us podiatrists and chiropractors are MD rejects.

True story!

Podiatry cant hang with MD schools academically. As for people having PhDs or Masters degrees? Doesnt mean anything.

I am sure you are aware, but the average undergraduate GPA for the AZPOD Class of 2010 was about 3.5 this year and the average MCAT was somewhere around a 26 from what I have heard. These figures are not very far from what you are talking about. Additionally, one student has a PhD in Organic Chemistry and at least 4 others have masters degrees in various fields.

I think you are correct that it would be hard to fill all of the schools right now with such applicants. However, the schools of podiatric medicine across the nation should tighten up the standards a little each year. As they do so, competitive applicants will be more inclined to apply to podiatric medical schools. I really believe this. It has been my observation that competitive students want competitive professions. Some students who might have found podiatry to be a fulfilling profession probably haven't applied because it is "too easy" to gain admissions. This will change as schools tighten up entrance criteria.

AZPOD Rocks

What u r saying abt AZPOD is 100% true. ofcourse AZPOD is a very famous college and they have these stats but that doesnt apply to all pod schools. as i said earlier a majority of students who applied to Pod school either want to go to AZPOD or Iowa or Chicago.

by seeing the data of AACPM, one can predict that in the next 3-4 yrs we will have some very competitive students applying. but as for now, i guess we shud be happy with 3.0 and low MCAT scores

Why would we all of a sudden see a shift in the applicants? I spoke to my podiatrist, who has since died, and he mentioned that podiatry school was super easy to get into in the early 80's.

People keep saying that there is going to be this paradigm shift in the quality of applicants. I dont see it happening.

Oh common dude! we cud go on debating this topic. Do u really think Podiatry has achieved that status in US of A that people with 3.5 GPA or higher MCAT scores will leave Medical Schools and apply there. Schools will have to go bankrupt if they set those expectation. And u know wat, its not the fault of school also. its the demand ration. there isnt much demand of podiatry among pre-med students. many dont even know wat podiatry is and many think its a inferior to medschool. And bcoz of this our profession is getting hurt very badly. There are very few applicants, they dont have good stats, and many shameless Med rejects also enter this field. They enter in and they suffer.

The truth is that many Pre-meds still consider Podiatry as a back up option. When they fail to get in, they apply to Pod. tats why if u observe the statistics u can see the number of Podiatry applications rise from January to July. Suppose if these people were really interested in applying to Pod, why didnt they applied early. The reason is they first try their luck at Osteo, MD and Dental Schools and when they dont get in, they start applying to Pod school in the late end of the year.

Its abt supply-demand. education is also a business. May be the schools really want to have a good class but they are helpless. even they have to survive. Cali got bankrupt twice. So many schools went on to get affiliation with universities and sometimes bringing down their standards just so that they cud survive. Its like this, Suppose i open an authentic indian restaurant in a middle class neighborhood and i want to give the best to my customers, so i get all my spices and indegrients right from india and of a very excellent quality. Now this means i have to pay extra for that import charges and quality. now bcoz of that additional expenditure i keep my prices high. But nobody shows up as no one cud afford it in the neighborhood and i start going in loss. then, i stop importing spices and buy the local thing and use not so good quality indegrients and reduce the price so that my business runs so that all cud afford it and my business runs and i cud survive. the schools are same. if they keep a GPA of 3.5 or MCAT of 28 or 29 like MD schools. i doubt even one school will have a full class or leave full class atleast half class.

Its not the school, its we the students who define our admission standards. We dont have competion, we dont have good GPA students applying to our program so that the school raised the bar. i really believe schools want to raise the bar and have quality students but they have no option. they have to settle for lower end products. Now i dont know what cud be done to increase the competition.

i don't mean to rub you the wrong way, but you were just recently accepted to scholl, and all of the sudden, you are an expert?? it seems that just a month ago, you were posting left and right about issues of not being accepted, and such. in any case, you left out a very VERY important aspect of business when relating the parable of the small indian cafe--ADVERTISEMENT!!! i don't care who you are, what you are doing, or how great it is, if no one is aware, then no one will frequent!! much the same, podiatry is such a small profession and i think many don't know about it as far as the educational tract is concerned. i don't think many know that pod is separate from MD/DO. i think a huge problem is that the 8 pod schools aren't doing much to advertise-they are waiting for the students to come to them, and you're right-i'm right, this lack of advertisement KILLS them! that is why the run-off come to pod--it is thier plan b. how about the schools take a little responsibility. i have NEVER seen a booth set up at career day from the pod schools. the pre-health advisor never mentioned it in interviews. how are people supposed to know about it if info. isn't made available.
if pods & chiros are md rejects, what then are undergad professors?? i know 2 at UNLV, 1 of whom flunked out of opt. school, the other couldn't get into any of the schools, so SHE settled for teaching. funny stuff.

if the number of applicants increases by only 500 applicants more which it will and because there are only 8 schools gpa and mcat stats are going to skyrocket. It was the same case with dental 6-8 years ago, it was hella easy to get in now its 2000 applicants per school and theres 50 schools. Pod on the other hand is only 8. Once dental craze is over and they realize what podiatry is then Podiatry will be next. Competition will truly start in the next few years. due to the low amount of schools it won't take that long for the new stats to explode. Just my opinion.

I agree with Lillytwig, podiatry schools just dont advertise to get people. I didnt even know about it until I researched more into other options than MD. MD students who dont make it in the first time, may look at another way to work with medicine, and therefore they research more and find podiatry. I'll be honest, I dont have great stats, but I do have a passion for medicine. Why are people getting so offensive of who's schools the best and who's is not. Its kind of discouraging hearing "my school is better than yours". That is something that you can keep in the podiatry forum and not the pre-pod. For the person who says "Podiatry cant hang with MD schools academically", do some research. I believe Scholl, DMU, and Temple take classes with MD/DO students. Please do not assume people only apply to pod school because they cant cut it as MD. We all have our own reasons to choosing pod.

I believe Scholl, DMU, and Temple take classes with MD/DO students.

Not to pee in your pool but only DMU and AZPOD take classes w/ DOs. Scholl takes anatomy and intro to clinics w/ the MDs but that is it.

Back to the issue, I'm not an expert but I know 2 things: I've been in the podiatry field for 3 years, and I also have worked w/ admissions for the last year and a half. This is how I see it:

1) Twig is right you must advertise.....a huge lack this in the pre-med area. I've gone back to my undergrad to talk to the pre-med students. I suggest everyone do the same.
2) If you think small you are small, so should we just take anyone b/c we can't get anything better. NO!
3) Pod classes are way too big. No school should have more than 75 students in a class. I would prefer to see the limit set at 60 for each school. That means that at most 480 students will graduate per year. This alone will increase competition.
4) I'm sorry if you are a MD reject, I am not and I feel sorry if you are so desperate to be a doctor that you settled. Most disgruntle DPMs are MD rejects. Most happy successful DPMs are by choice DPMs.

What you don't realize is that if you are successful in becoming a DPM you should want the stock to rise not settle. If the future is stronger than the past, we win in all areas. Our patients get better care, we get more respect, better pay and more rights. I would hope that as future DPMs you would want these things, if not please do not enter the field b/c you will affect the future of my profession.

For the person who says "Podiatry cant hang with MD schools academically", do some research.

Also, on this topic, I was having an informal chat w/ the Dean of DMU, and we both agree that it would be interesting to have pods sit for the USMLE Part I. Whether this happens or not, he is confident enough to consider it. While overall the pod class does not consistently beat the DOs in grades, many times that the pods stand toe to toe w/ them in the basic science classes.

i don't mean to rub you the wrong way, but you were just recently accepted to scholl, and all of the sudden, you are an expert?? it seems that just a month ago, you were posting left and right about issues of not being accepted, and such.

well, is there any bibilical rule that one has to wait for 4yrs to start posting:laugh: on serious issues. I dont say iam an expert but i love to answer things,which i think i can be able to answer. you dont see my posts on topics relating to Subject discusssions. Some of the questions asked are very easy and common sense and i answer.

And you are right, i was also asking the same questions 1 month back and i got some good answers. i have every kind of stupid question a student cud have regarding admissions, from DAT to MCAT, from low GPAs to interview attire. I even wrote on forum abt do we get a phone call or they leave a voice mail:laugh:. So I have a kind of good experience now on admission processes. i dont say iam an expert but i try my best to contribute. If you think iam writing some thing which is incorrect or wrong then plzz do correct me. i love to learn from others.

if the number of applicants increases by only 500 applicants more which it will and because there are only 8 schools gpa and mcat stats are going to skyrocket. It was the same case with dental 6-8 years ago, it was hella easy to get in now its 2000 applicants per school and theres 50 schools. Pod on the other hand is only 8. Once dental craze is over and they realize what podiatry is then Podiatry will be next. Competition will truly start in the next few years. due to the low amount of schools it won't take that long for the new stats to explode. Just my opinion.

tats waht iam also saying. in abt 3-5 yrs people will know more abt podiatry and competition will increase.

You have to realize that while traditional medicine has its issues, so does podiatry. There is a happy medium to exposure, both from an industry stainpoint and an academic standpoint.

Podiatry hasnt always had the best rap. I've met a few pod school reps who had a "dont worry about getting in" attitude to them. Both came and spoke at my college. I found it almost insulting to the industry. The students I personally know who've looked into being a DPM have dismissed it for the reason that podiatry marketing tactics and the overall industry hasnt always been the best and most honest.

There is some serious negativity about being a DPM. Spoke with a 3rd year DO at Midwestern today and I asked her about the DPM students. The stigma people have about DPMs is why would anybody spend the same amount of time in medical school as a MD only to specialize in feet. It is a valid question!

Like it or not, there are a ton of orthos who are F/A specialists but they can also do knees or other ortho procedures. A pod cannot which ultimately amounts to a smaller income.

tats waht iam also saying. in abt 3-5 yrs people will know more abt podiatry and competition will increase.

Been the same story for 30 years according to some pods I've met. IMO, it wont.

What I am advocating is instead of instant gratification, a waiting period to see if the stock has risen. How would any school know if they class if going to be 3.5, 28, if they take everyone that has met the old minimum?

You've got to start somewhere, where the stats go up or not; there is no reason to rush to accept students.

What I am advocating is instead of instant gratification, a waiting period to see if the stock has risen. How would any school know if they class if going to be 3.5, 28, if they take everyone that has met the old minimum?

You've got to start somewhere, where the stats go up or not; there is no reason to rush to accept students.

you are absolutely right, lets start this at Dr.Feelgood college of podiatry:D just kidding! but yes u r right but dont forget the financial part also.

You have to realize that while traditional medicine has its issues, so does podiatry. There is a happy medium to exposure, both from an industry stainpoint and an academic standpoint.

Podiatry hasnt always had the best rap. I've met a few pod school reps who had a "dont worry about getting in" attitude to them. Both came and spoke at my college. I found it almost insulting to the industry.

There is some serious negativity about being a DPM. Spoke with a 3rd year DO at Midwestern today and I asked her about the DPM students. The stigma people have about DPMs is why would anybody spend the same amount of time in medical school as a MD only to specialize in feet. It is a valid question!

Like it or not, there are a ton of orthos who are F/A specialists but they can also do knees or other ortho procedures. A pod cannot.

Well, thats their subjective opinion - not everyone wants to be an internal med doc, a cardiologist, a PCP, or even an orthopod. The fact of the matter is podiatry is its own specialty - the fact that we spend the same amount of time to "specialize in feet" is a testament to the strength of our training - it is what makes us the best at what we do. If you think there isn't enough pathology or manifestations in the Lower extremity to keep us busy, then you're way off - its not always rearfoot surgery, but we really do a bit of everything - derm, primary footcare, orthotics, consultations, vascular work, wound care, etc. To me this is what makes our profession unique special - I like the concept of being able to specialize in the Lower extremity and be an expert in one area while applying a vast array of clinical skills. However, this may not appeal to everyone and it shouldn't...

Podiatry hasnt always had the best rap. I've met a few pod school reps who had a "dont worry about getting in" attitude to them. Both came and spoke at my college. I found it almost insulting to the industry. The students I personally know who've looked into being a DPM have dismissed it for the reason that podiatry marketing tactics and the overall industry hasnt always been the best and most honest.

Like it or not, there are a ton of orthos who are F/A specialists but they can also do knees or other ortho procedures. A pod cannot which ultimately amounts to a smaller income.

So what do u wanna do? Join DO/MD school! , dude you started this thread by asking what r ur chances abt ur low stats and also this great debate. And here u r saying by urself how low admission stats pods have. if u knew the answer why did u even asked this question?:laugh: :smuggrin: :mad:

I want to be a pod b/c I've been treated by them and found it interesting. Sorry for breathing.

Cool,

How could slowing the application process cause fiancial strain??? Would applicants go else to another area of med b/c they don't get an interview and accepted in 1 week???

:laugh:
Cool,

How could slowing the application process cause fiancial strain??? Would applicants go else to another area of med b/c they don't get an interview and accepted in 1 week???

Sorry i didnt understood what u meant in that post!:laugh: yep! u r 100%b right boss! but this shud be implented by all the 8 schools not just one or two school, if all schools follow this process, then only it will be effective.

Been the same story for 30 years according to some pods I've met. IMO, it wont.

The reality is more and more people are becoming aware of this field. My father for instance never knew about, didn't know what a podiatrist even meant but he learned when he was refered to a podiatrist and recieved his orthotics. He came home told me about it, I got interested in it went and researched shadowed a pod and fell in love with the field. Before my father wouldn't have went to a doctor for minor foot pain even though he had it but would instantly go to a dentist if he had a tooth ache, but beyond that more and more people are beginning to listen to their problems and to tell you the truth feet are way more important to the balance of life than say teeth, hands, looks, beauty in terms of quality of life etc. The three most important parts of the body that the podiatrist told me that are the base of the human system are the feet, back and heart. People are gradually beginning to acknowledge that and most of is subconscious. Why are more people going to a dentist than ever before because of hygene and self awareness and beauty. This was not the case 30 years ago or 5 years ago but its been a gradual increase. There have been some ups and downs based on demographics but those are minor when compared to the long run. The same applies to podiatry. Although podiatry has always been there that as you say for 30 years but the acknowledment of self awareness and the increase to have better health and decrease pain has increased tremendously these past recent years.

The reality is more and more people are becoming aware of this field. My father for instance never knew about, didn't know what a podiatrist even meant but he learned when he was refered to a podiatrist and recieved his orthotics. He came home told me about it, I got interested in it went and researched shadowed a pod and fell in love with the field. Before my father wouldn't have went to a doctor for minor foot pain even though he had it but would instantly go to a dentist if he had a tooth ache, but beyond that more and more people are beginning to listen to their problems and to tell you the truth feet are way more important to the balance of life than say teeth, hands, looks, beauty in terms of quality of life etc. The three most important parts of the body that the podiatrist told me that are the base of the human system are the feet, back and heart. People are gradually beginning to acknowledge that and most of is subconscious. Why are more people going to a dentist than ever before because of hygene and self awareness and beauty. This was not the case 30 years ago or 5 years ago but its been a gradual increase. There have been some ups and downs based on demographics but those are minor when compared to the long run. The same applies to podiatry. Although podiatry has always been there that as you say for 30 years but the acknowledment of self awareness and the increase to have better health and decrease pain has increased tremendously these past recent years.

I'm pretty sure your brain, lungs, and other internal organs rank ahead of your feet ;) - Nonetheless, I do agree with you that our profession certainly does not have the exposure or visbility as dentistry for example - we don't do enough advertisement thats for sure.

You can live without your feet. Try living without your lungs. :laugh:

You can live without your feet. Try living without your lungs. :laugh:

even funnier would be trying to get into a cardio program with your stats!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: joking aside, EVERYTHING is important for a balanced, normal life. because we are aspiring foot specialists, i think most can admit that we are a bit bias. good for us! love of profession=happiness..or something like that, right!!;)