Getting In.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kay51

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A Friend of mine wanted to ask your alls opinion about her situation.

She dropped out of high school and got her GED..she is now working on getting her high school diploma. She is starting community college in the fall to get her Ass. degree in Science. She wants to know if there is anything else or any suggestions anyone has. Or if anyone has a similar situation. Will a pharmacy school not accept her because she got her GED first, or how does that work?

Members don't see this ad.

She dropped out of high school and got her GED..she is now working on getting her high school diploma. She is starting community college in the fall to get her Ass. degree in Science. She wants to know if there is anything else or any suggestions anyone has. Or if anyone has a similar situation. Will a pharmacy school not accept her because she got her GED first, or how does that work?

GED shouldn't matter. Why is she even going to get her high school diploma? A surgeon that I work with got his GED at age 17 (he had a child young), then went straight to Comm College and finally to med school. He has done quite well for himself. Just make sure that she knows it is the real deal now and she MUST apply herself. No more giving up and dropping out. This is her future.

I don't think that a pharmacy school will turn her down just because she has a GED (v/s a traditional HS diploma)... they can, however, turn her down for a multitude of other reasons like low GPA in college coursework, low PCAT scores, lack of ECs, etc. so she needs to make sure that she stays on top of her game from the get-go!

I'm sure that folks will chime in with general suggestions for your friend's success in college - I just wanted to let you know that I'm proof that it can be done (I dropped out of HS my senior year to get married - went back and got my diploma several years later and I will begin pharmacy school in the fall.) Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think that GEDs carry the same stigma today that they did 20-30 years ago. Many, if not most, homeschooled kids end up with GEDs because their state rules don't allow for them to be issued any sort of diploma. The GED is an equivalency exam, and especially if your friend has used that GED to move on to community college and increasingly harder coursework, and has shown that she can be successful at that, the GED won't be an issue.

I wish her luck!

i have a ged and it really doesn't matters as long as she gets good grades in pre reqs its all good.

Ok, Thanks for all the Help!

Once you are in college high school has no relevance in your academic life. GED or Diploma doesn't matter, just just kickass on prereqs, get Pharmacy EXPERIENCE, volunteer when you can and join extracurriculur activities. If you are serious about pharmacy school then you will do all of the above.