Getting Insurance with a Pre-Existing Condition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crohnie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I got accepted to Med School and am planning on attending in August of 2009. I suffer from a pre-exiting condition and need to get health insurance before I start. Has anyone found a health insurance that's affordable or can provide me some advice on how to get it?

Thanks a Ton!

~Crohnie

Members don't see this ad.

If you currently have health ins, I think there's a law that no ins company can deny you for a pre-existing condition if you are currently covered with no gap in coverage.

However, looking for health ins. can be tricky. SOMA has a plan. AMSA has a plan. Your school may offer ins. You need to look at the particulars to see what they cover and how much they cost. "affordable" depends a great deal on your definition of "affordable" -- $100/mo? $500/mo? None of the three ask for pre-existing conditions if I recall.

Hey Everyone,

I got accepted to Med School and am planning on attending in August of 2009. I suffer from a pre-exiting condition and need to get health insurance before I start. Has anyone found a health insurance that's affordable or can provide me some advice on how to get it?

Thanks a Ton!

~Crohnie

Most of the time (most, not all) if your school offers a plan part of their agreement with the insurance company is that they cannot deny someone for a pre-existing condition. I would look into that. SOMA has a good insurance plan so you can always join that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem. I have type I diabetes. SOMA (which you automatically become a member of when you start at a DO school) covers my condition and all the supplies. They have two different plans - if you call their help line and explain your medications and whatnot, they are very helpful in telling you which plan is best for you.

Also, it was already mentioned but there is a law that if you have a pre-existing condition, an insurance company must cover it so long as you have not been without coverage for 6 months or more. The problem comes when companies don't allow you to join their plan because of the condition. SOMA will, though. Also, if you were in any undergrad groups, they sometimes have plans. I was part of Phi Delta Epsilon (the premed society), for example, and I think they have a plan as well.

I had the same problem. I have type I diabetes. SOMA (which you automatically become a member of when you start at a DO school) covers my condition and all the supplies. They have two different plans - if you call their help line and explain your medications and whatnot, they are very helpful in telling you which plan is best for you.

Also, it was already mentioned but there is a law that if you have a pre-existing condition, an insurance company must cover it so long as you have not been without coverage for 6 months or more. The problem comes when companies don't allow you to join their plan because of the condition. SOMA will, though. Also, if you were in any undergrad groups, they sometimes have plans. I was part of Phi Delta Epsilon (the premed society), for example, and I think they have a plan as well.

How does that work? I got the SOMA health insurance plan with the steep deductible, and I only get $750 of coverage for insulin/medications/supplies ($500 with the low deductible plan). How do you get your insulin covered, as Lantus costs me $1600 a year?

Well, I am not on lantus because I have a pump, so the main issue for me was getting my pump supplies. SOMA will cover them - I still will have more costs than other med. students but that's just life. Also, after you pay a certain amount out of pocket they have to pay for the rest as long as they cover you.

As for insulin - I would talk to you doctors, health department, drug reps, etc. to see if they can give you any free bottles. My doctor gave me almost a years worth once (though I take Apridra, which isn't very popular so they may have not needed it), and the drug reps are sometimes looking to give some out.

Are you type I or II? I'm not sure if the coverage depends on which type you have. I also stocked up on supplies for years so that I don't have to order as many while on a less-than-awesome plan.

$1600/year really isn't that bad considering how much it would all cost without insurance, at least.

Type I, ex pump user with a ton of leftover supplies, and $1600 is what the Lantus actually costs me per year. I have gotten a few vials for free, but it $750 of drug coverage AFTER a $2000 deductible means I can't get it for free.

Type I, ex pump user with a ton of leftover supplies, and $1600 is what the Lantus actually costs me per year. I have gotten a few vials for free, but it $750 of drug coverage AFTER a $2000 deductible means I can't get it for free.

Really? I thought lantus was more expensive. I know that around here at least it is really popular, so I guess it is harder to get your hands on it for free. Isn't lantus long-acting, though? Do you use a short-acting as well?

Okay, sorry to hijack the thread!

I use novolog for my sliding scale (food). Lantus acts for 24 hours, so it is nice in that way.

I would definitely check with your school to see what kind of insurance they offer. The insurance we get through AZCOM doesn't have a pre-existing conditions clause.