Getting interviewed by a "traditional" doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got interviewed by a very traditional doctor who knew all his life that he wanted to be a doctor, always loved science, and went straight to medical school after undergrad. I have to say that I felt this put me at a disadvantage since I am pretty much the opposite. Has anyone else been in this situation and still had a positive outcome? Feeling a little insecure at the moment (although I didn't feel one bit this way during the interview).

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got interviewed by a very traditional doctor who knew all his life that he wanted to be a doctor, always loved science, and went straight to medical school after undergrad. I have to say that I felt this put me at a disadvantage since I am pretty much the opposite. Has anyone else been in this situation and still had a positive outcome? Feeling a little insecure at the moment (although I didn't feel one bit this way during the interview).

Don't second guess these sort of things. During the interview, you'll never know exactly what gives you an advantage and what doesn't. Go with the flow, control what you can control, and be yourself. Good luck.

Agree. Keep in mind that interviewing and admissions are very subjective, and most people aren't very good at judging how the interview actually went. It's possible that you did very well and you're just reading too much into things. You also need to have a little faith in your fellow man--just because you're not following the same path as he did doesn't mean he's incapable of concluding that someone like you could be a positive addition to the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. Keep in mind that interviewing and admissions are very subjective, and most people aren't very good at judging how the interview actually went. It's possible that you did very well and you're just reading too much into things. You also need to have a little faith in your fellow man--just because you're not following the same path as he did doesn't mean he's incapable of concluding that someone like you could be a positive addition to the class.

Exactly. He may not have had the same path as you, but remember that I'm sure he's worked with many people from many different walks of life who have come up to be his colleagues. If all doctors followed the same path and had all the same experiences, we wouldn't have much variety in medicine, and most good doctors realize that.

I spoke to a doctor at the clinic I worked in that was a traditional doctor too. He said there were people in their 30s and 40s when he was in school. He told me not to worry about it. He said the quality of a doctor that begins older doesn't mean they won't be as good. Overall, he had very positive things to say. People don't need to be in the exact same shoes to be comprehending of the situation.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Hopefully I am just suffering from post-interview jitters. I actually felt like I "passed" at the end of the interview, even though it was somewhat challenging.

Although, not a medical school interview. When I interviewed for pharmacy school, I thought that I had bombed a few of my interviews because I couldn't relate to some of the super pro-pharmacy pharmacist straight from high school. In the end, I received acceptances at all the schools I interviewed at so I must've made an impression. So, don't sweat it... you are exceptional to have gotten an interview.