Getting into a fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dstone3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a OB/GYN resident that fellowship programs typically take their own residents. What are some of your thoughts on that comment?

And if this is the case, should I take that into account when applying to residency, if I'm open to the idea of further training?

Members don't see this ad.

that makes perfect sense if you think about it and it is true. better to take someone you know whose work ethic you know. same thing when applying to residency.

Actually, it is not "typically" as many programs consider two thoughts:

1. Allow the resident to enter another program to experience a variation in management, teaching, practice
2. Allow the resident to leave the program and in the process serve as an example of the training program

Having said that, some programs will take an internal candidate when the opportunity presents (i.e. very ideal candidate, candidate preference to not move, multiple fellowship spots available). Lastly, programs do not want to appear homogenous (inbred as some would say) and have been known to mix up the fellows to get some variation.

Best of luck!