Getting into Albany?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon89

Hero of Hyrule
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie so I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I really don't know where anything is now :(

Ok so here are my stats:

NY resident asian female
GPA: 3.3/3.4 UW (out of 4.0) (88/89)
SATs: 1750 (570 M; 600 V; 580 W) I'm going to retake them 2 more times
SAT IIs: none
School doesn't rank
Freshman year: regents lvl classes
Sophmore year: math and bio honors
Junior year (this year): math and chem honors
Senior year: european history AP, Physics AP, and chem AP (i'm taking 2 science APs in the same year, no one really does that at all in my school, actually I'm the first)

Extracurrics
- track in freshman year
- hoping to volunteer in some pharmacy/dentists office this summer

I really want to go to albany college of pharmacy, I called the dean of admissions and they said that Early Decision will help my chances (I didn't tell him my stats, I just asked him in general) and that visiting will also help a lot

So I'm going to do early decision and I'm going to visit

what do you think my chances will be for getting into the 6 year pharmD program?

thanks so much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

You are well balanced applicant, but you GPA is low. I heard that people usually have above 3.5 for that school. Good luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you!

how much financial aid (as in merit scholarship $) do you think I would get?

Albany is a really really tough school to get into with just a 3.3/3.4. The school is supposedly based purely on numbers. I've heard applicants need at least a 3.7 or higher to be competitive. It's also a relatively easy school to apply to (once you ignore the $100 "supplemental fee")- which means you'll have more people applying. I would recommend that you save your $100 and put that towards the supplementals of 3 other schools who look at the total package, and not just GPA.

Goodluck.

meLtdown4meL said:
Albany is a really really tough school to get into with just a 3.3/3.4. The school is supposedly based purely on numbers. I've heard applicants need at least a 3.7 or higher to be competitive. It's also a relatively easy school to apply to (once you ignore the $100 "supplemental fee")- which means you'll have more people applying. I would recommend that you save your $100 and put that towards the supplementals of 3 other schools who look at the total package, and not just GPA.

Goodluck.

Honestly, you have NO chance to get in, don't waste your money.
This year, you need a 4.0 GPA to get in.

ForTce said:
Honestly, you have NO chance to get in, don't waste your money.
This year, you need a 4.0 GPA to get in.
WTF? :confused:

I take it you're "kidding"?

meLtdown4meL said:

Goodluck.
I totally agree. I asked the school and they said they evaluate mostly on your GPA. They also said that you'll need at least a 3.5 in order to be competitive. If you really want to get into Albany, I'll recommend you doing 2 college years of courses (with a good GPA), and then apply to their accelerated program. That way, you can graduate in just 5 years.

If you have $100, do it. If that is where you want to go, you may always regret not applying. If you are a National Merit Scholar, that can only help.
Good luck :luck: !

RachGator said:
If you have $100, do it. If that is where you want to go, you may always regret not applying. If you are a National Merit Scholar, that can only help.
Good luck :luck: !

I believe that being a National Merit Scholar will not help her at all since admission only based on GPA, and nothing else.