Getting into an Irish six-year program with a B.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlittlej

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone who already has a degree has applied to or entered one of the six-year programs in Ireland. I feel like an idiot because I could have waltzed into one of these schools straight out of high school. Now I have a spotty college record (GPA = 3.0) to answer for. I'm taking the first semester of Bio, Chem and Physics now, and I hope to get A's. Might apply for next year.

Members don't see this ad.

jlittlej said:
I'm just wondering if anyone who already has a degree has applied to or entered one of the six-year programs in Ireland. I feel like an idiot because I could have waltzed into one of these schools straight out of high school. Now I have a spotty college record (GPA = 3.0) to answer for. I'm taking the first semester of Bio, Chem and Physics now, and I hope to get A's. Might apply for next year.

Why do so many American's want to go to Irish medical schools? I've got to ask because it doesn't make any sense to me.

I thought 4 year graduate British medical courses would be a more popular choice for those of you who want to study abroad? Most of you have the requisite undergraduate degrees already, so wouldn't it make more sense to apply for the UK courses and save yourself a year and money? Are Irish medical school graduates looked upon more favourably in the States than British graduates (I hope not, otherwise I should never have emigrated)!? :)

jlittlej, have a look at some of the UK graduate courses. Some of them have very specific requirements for graduates, but others are open to anyone who has any sort of undergraduate degree. If you've your heart set on Ireland though I agree with Mike - 6 years is a waste of time.

Hey Mike,
am an amercian studying medicine in a uk school , would be happy to help with any advice needed as well .
I think all uk schools are somewhat open to foreigners(less than 10 percent ) approx with americans comprising of 2-3 places in each class in each school.
at least thats the number of americans in my class.

Cheers, Saph

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's generally harder for non-Uk people to get into UK schools than Ireland. Some (Oxbridge) require you to take their own form of entrance exams, and the appeal of living in England isn't as high as the appeal of living in Ireland for a lot of Americans (finding their roots/family/joviality of the Irish people, etc). For me, I'm petrified of sterling :).

With regards to the op, there are people with degrees who do the 6 year program. I don't know too many, but in the year below me there is someone who earned the Criminology BA before choosing to study med. She was in the 6 yr program.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Your in the UK doing med school now?

If so which are the better med schools to apply for and what sortof cost are you looking at?

The entire reason im interested in going to the UK/Ireland has to do with the cultural exchange idea. I think it is a once in a lifetime oppertunity.

Which schools should I look into?

thanks

PM doesn’t seem to be working for me, so I’ll post my comments here. :)

They're no medical schools which are 'better' for Americans to apply to - they'll all treat you the same way AFAIK. The great advantage of the UK is the sheer diversity of educational options when it comes to medicine. PBL, SBL, traditonal learning - you name it, they've got it! 4 year graduate courses or 5/6 year undergraduate courses.

I can't really advise you on where to apply due to fact that they're so many options out there as I mentioned above, and one man's pleasure is another man's poison. The snob in me want to tell you to apply to the Ancients; Oxbridge, Glasgow & Aberdeen (some of us don't consider Edinburgh to be a 'real' Ancient as it's post-Reformation)! ;)

Joking aside, the best thing to do is to go to the UCAS website, look up the medical schools and their entry requirements and if they match what you want, investigate further by going to the schools website and sending them an e-mail outlining your position and they'll let you know what they think. Take a look at the schools website and read about the city in general to see if it's the type of place you want to spend the next few years.

I don't know too much about fees, as I'm paying the same as Scottish students (nothing - God bless the EU!). Here's a webpage detailing fees in Glasgow though - I don't know if the same is true across the UK though with regard to price, although I don't think there's any school like RCSI that charges far more than the others. Keep in mind that with the exception of London the cost of living is generally cheaper in the UK than Ireland.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/students/fees/tuitionfees.html

If you want my particular insight on a certain medical school (if I know anything about it), or if you think you'll go ahead and apply to the UK (you might as well, nothing ventured, nothing gained) and need some help with the application, send me another PM. Good luck hunting!

leorl said:
I think it's generally harder for non-Uk people to get into UK schools than Ireland. Some (Oxbridge) require you to take their own form of entrance exams

The Oxford entrance exam was one of the easiest tests I've sat in my life. Shame that the interviews are so difficult though! :D

Hi,

I have a previous degree and applied to RCSI. I was accepted into their 5 year program rather than the "normal" 6 year one for school leavers.

Despite being in the top 0.5% of my state (south australia, australia)following year 12 (high school), i too attended university and finished with an "average" GPA of just over 4 (which is a credit).

I am unsure if my degree, Physiotherapy which is a health science, as well as the subsequent 3 years of full time employment in hospitals around Australia assisted in my selection. I am not sure if your previous degree (ie what type) is a selection factor for entry into RCSI's 5 year program.

My advice would be to apply and see how you go.

Hope this helps

Congrats aussie doc :). The type of degree you do get is indeed a factor. A health science degree will put you in the 5 yr. program. A non-science degree, into the 6 yr. program...you'd be regarded the same as the high-school leavers.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Keep yer fingers crossed. If i dont get to Ireland how am i gonna find out what leorl looks like?

Probably by looking at her profile! :laugh: