Getting into D.O school with a 17 MCAT ?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know, right! I laughed when she told me because I thought she was kidding... I felt really bad, but I honestly thought you couldn't get under a 4 in each section since that's usually what's in the grading charts for the practice tests. She just took it again, so hopefully she at least guesses better ;)

Wow jeez, reminds me of a story I read on the premed quotes thread where someone got a 14 composite and then the person asked "what section?".

Members don't see this ad.

So does my dreadful 18 still have a chance?I believe the rest of my app can make up for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? That's kinda harsh...

For some reason I get the feeling you're not being entirely serious with us. For somebody who has as many posts as you and has been around the forums for as long as you have, you should know what a good score is to get into medical school.

For some reason I get the feeling you're not being entirely serious with us. For somebody who has as many posts as you and has been around the forums for as long as you have, you should know what a good score is to get into medical school.

I do. And I know there are few exceptions made for low scores. You bashed my whole app, which is why I was confused.

I do. And I know there are few exceptions made for low scores. You bashed my whole app, which is why I was confused.

I didn't bash your whole app. But there are very few things that can make up for such a low MCAT score. I think it'd be in your best interests to retake and try again next cycle. I'm just trying to help you out man.

I didn't bash your whole app. But there are very few things that can make up for such a low MCAT score. I think it'd be in your best interests to retake and try again next cycle. I'm just trying to help you out man.

I guess I just misunderstood. Very true, and I thank you. But dang, I don't ever want to see an MCAT ever again. W'ever...Agents of Shield coming on, maybe that will make this day less crappy.

I guess I just misunderstood. Very true, and I thank you. But dang, I don't ever want to see an MCAT ever again. W'ever...Agents of Shield coming on, maybe that will make this day less crappy.
I know that feel, bro. I took it twice and can't imagine how others have taken it >3 times. Caribbean average is like a 22-26 for the Caribbean 4, with Saba being the bottom.

Seriously man, we've all been there. I took it twice too.

A friend of mine in medical school got a 17. Brilliant doctor with super bad dyslexia. They tested her orally and she answered just about every question correctly. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that you may not know about. Tests scores aren't everyting.

On the flip side, there was a girl in my residency who was kicked out of ER residency for being super dangerous and not having good emotional control on her psych meds. When she took step III of the COMLEX her score was 796 out of a possible 800. She is scary dangerous and I would NEVER let her touch any of my patients.

SCORES don't mean a damn thing.

While I agree there are extenuating circumstances, many peoples abilities tend to fall in line with their scores. Also there are people who are actually competent, and then there are people who are perceived to be more competent than others, regardless of how well they actually do.

In all fairness to people who struggle, whether they end up good on the floors tends to be on a case by case basis. Generally speaking a 17 on an MCAT tends to not be seen in a favorable light, whether it is due to poor test taking ability, poor preparation, or subpar intelligence, or whatever other reason. Generally speaking you need to know some **** to get a 796 on the Comlex, and not everyone who scores ithat is necessarily an emotionally unstable resident. Some are quite smart and good at their jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dont let anyone deter you from applying to medical school regardless of what your score is.. (there are a ton of gunners / trolls / overall NEGATIVE people on SDN and on the web so dont let them get you down when you ask for advice. Just know that not everyone is going to be helpful they want to give you "harsh reality" instead of trying to help you think positive) there is ALWAYS a chance that the person(s) reviewing your file look at OTHER aspects of your application and choose to admit you anyway.. even if it MAY be on terms .. such as maintaining a certain pass rate for the first semester or something..

I mean the admissions process is changing as a whole and MCAT is one of those things that is changing in the admissions process (do your research) some schools (MD and DO) just want you to take it but dont weigh heavily on it, but weighs more on your dedication to the profession through volunteer work, community service, personal statement, life experiences, etc.. But then again, you will never know which schools are like that until you try!

Just schedule a JANUARY retake if you still want to apply for the 2014 season, study hard and in the meantime still APPLY to as many schools as you can to increase your chances (greater than the 0% if you dont apply) of getting an acceptance. Look at the AAMC admission charts.. compare your gpa to your mcat score and you will see there are some people that actually DO get accepted to MD programs with your stats. Maybe you can be in that percentage this year.

Look at the case of the student at UNIVERSITY of FLORIDA that was accepted with NO MCAT at all lol. I mean, there are some ways to get into medical school if you really want it .. but you will NEVER get in if you NEVER try. so apply broadly and see what happens. A 17 is better than a 10 or a 9 and is close to a 20 (just being optimistic) :)

Good luck and please update us on your progress. :luck:

Last edited:
Dont let anyone deter you from applying to medical school regardless of what your score is.. (there are a ton of gunners / trolls / overall NEGATIVE people on SDN and on the web so dont let them get you down when you ask for advice. Just know that not everyone is going to be helpful they want to give you "harsh reality" instead of trying to help you think positive) there is ALWAYS a chance that the person(s) reviewing your file look at OTHER aspects of your application and choose to admit you anyway.. even if it MAY be on terms .. such as maintaining a certain pass rate for the first semester or something..

I mean the admissions process is changing as a whole and MCAT is one of those things that is changing in the admissions process (do your research) some schools (MD and DO) just want you to take it but dont weigh heavily on it, but weighs more on your dedication to the profession through volunteer work, community service, personal statement, life experiences, etc.. But then again, you will never know which schools are like that until you try!

Just schedule a JANUARY retake if you still want to apply for the 2014 season, study hard and in the meantime still APPLY to as many schools as you can to increase your chances (greater than the 0% if you dont apply) of getting an acceptance. Look at the AAMC admission charts.. compare your gpa to your mcat score and you will see there are some people that actually DO get accepted to MD programs with your stats. Maybe you can be in that percentage this year.

Look at the case of the student at UNIVERSITY of FLORIDA that was accepted with NO MCAT at all lol. I mean, there are some ways to get into medical school if you really want it .. but you will NEVER get in if you NEVER try. so apply broadly and see what happens. A 17 is better than a 10 or a 9 and is close to a 20 (just being optimistic) :)

It's great to view the other side of the coin, but please try to view that 18 as objectively as possibly. It's almost 10 points below the average of most DO schools. It will prevent your matriculation most likely. Take some time off, reassess your motivations and priorities, and retake.

dont let anyone deter you from applying to medical school regardless of what your score is.. (there are a ton of gunners / trolls / overall negative people on sdn and on the web so dont let them get you down when you ask for advice. Just know that not everyone is going to be helpful they want to give you "harsh reality" instead of trying to help you think positive) there is always a chance that the person(s) reviewing your file look at other aspects of your application and choose to admit you anyway.. Even if it may be on terms .. Such as maintaining a certain pass rate for the first semester or something..

I mean the admissions process is changing as a whole and mcat is one of those things that is changing in the admissions process (do your research) some schools (md and do) just want you to take it but dont weigh heavily on it, but weighs more on your dedication to the profession through volunteer work, community service, personal statement, life experiences, etc.. But then again, you will never know which schools are like that until you try!

Just schedule a january retake if you still want to apply for the 2014 season, study hard and in the meantime still apply to as many schools as you can to increase your chances (greater than the 0% if you dont apply) of getting an acceptance. Look at the aamc admission charts.. Compare your gpa to your mcat score and you will see there are some people that actually do get accepted to md programs with your stats. Maybe you can be in that percentage this year.

Look at the case of the student at university of florida that was accepted with no mcat at all lol. I mean, there are some ways to get into medical school if you really want it .. But you will never get in if you never try. So apply broadly and see what happens. A 17 is better than a 10 or a 9 and is close to a 20 (just being optimistic) :)

good luck and please update us on your progress. :luck:

+1 :)

If I do recall, that person who was accepted was a congressman's son (or something similar), and they personally knew the dean of the school. I can't remember exactly what the situation was but it was something along those lines. That's not exactly a great example to use for providing hope for applicants, almost none of us fit that profile.

If I do recall, that person who was accepted was a congressman's son (or something similar), and they personally knew the dean of the school. I can't remember exactly what the situation was but it was something along those lines. That's not exactly a great example to use for providing hope for applicants, almost none of us fit that profile.

If this is the only thing you took away from that long post, then please re-read. I am certain there is SOMETHING helpful for you or ENCOURAGING for others .. if not for you .. in there.... (Btw, you can click on the link in the post and it will take you to the story)

To the original poster, Columbia09: this is what I was referring to when saying that not everyone is positive and not everyone is helpful. Just take it with a grain of salt and never let ANYONE discourage you.

Again, Good luck. :luck:

...I am certain there is SOMETHING helpful for you or ENCOURAGING for others .. if not for you .. in there....

Wat.jpg

If this is the only thing you took away from that long post, then please re-read. I am certain there is SOMETHING helpful for you or ENCOURAGING for others .. if not for you .. in there.... (Btw, you can click on the link in the post and it will take you to the story)

To the original poster, Columbia09: this is what I was referring to when saying that not everyone is positive and not everyone is helpful. Just take it with a grain of salt and never let ANYONE discourage you.

Again, Good luck. :luck:

I wouldn't say it was the only thing that I took from it, but seeing how you bolded it and made it orange, it definitely stuck in my head... I really don't know what yo tell you if you think telling an applicant with a 17 MCAT to retake is "discouraging".

In the DO world, only african-americans seem to receive some leniency in regards to grades. Their average is about a 3.25/22 with the low on the standard deviation being 3.0/20, but all other minority groups, yes including hispanic and native americans, have roughly the same average as caucasian students. In the MD world, the "sub par stats" of minorities are nearly equivalent to the average of DO students, so it's not that big of a discrepancy where a 17 gets you in.

This.

Many people think URM=guaranteed acceptance with a 2.5 and 18 MCAT.

I wish the adcoms would understand this lol. I mean why is there a PS section on the MCAT for ?

It may be me, but I really think the PS section does push a bit more for complex and abstract thinking abilities than the BS. Also, the PS i think tests your ability to do well under crazy time constraint. I know some people finish PS with plenty of time, but for me it was always a big race against the clock.

I'm debating whether to become a national member or not there's a 125 dollar fee

to be honest, I think it was useful because of the opportunities to shadow and volunteer that AED had already set up for us at my university. So, instead of investing lots of hours and effort in looking for those opportunities myself, they had some already set up. Other than that....i did not find it that useful. Now, some people invest more time and in return obtain other experiences that may be useful. I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to invest (time wise) and get in return. I'd do it again just for that reason.

to be honest, I think it was useful because of the opportunities to shadow and volunteer that AED had already set up for us at my university. So, instead of investing lots of hours and effort in looking for those opportunities myself, they had some already set up. Other than that....i did not find it that useful. Now, some people invest more time and in return obtain other experiences that may be useful. I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to invest (time wise) and get in return. I'd do it again just for that reason.

Yea, i was in AED as well. Being a national member you can put that on your app that you were "inducted" also you get to go to the national conferences and you get to run for certain offices (leadership opps) in AED (again looks nice on your app) ..

So we are negative gunner trolls because we look at the statistics and realize that being 2 standard deviations below the average makes it nearly impossible to get into a school? People like you are irresponsible for giving false hope, which comes at a monetary consequence because applications cost a lot of money.

I heard someone got into marian with a 17 or 18 too. How crazy. It was on their thread from last year because someone with good/decent stats was waitlisted or rejected. They said there is more to look at than just a number. seems fishy.

Yeah, like donations.

Yea, i was in AED as well. Being a national member you can put that on your app that you were "inducted" also you get to go to the national conferences and you get to run for certain offices (leadership opps) in AED (again looks nice on your app) ..

Are you applying to ACOM PinknGreen? I see you are in AL. Or just applying allo?

Look at the case of the student at UNIVERSITY of FLORIDA that was accepted with NO MCAT at all lol. I mean, there are some ways to get into medical school if you really want it .. but you will NEVER get in if you NEVER try. so apply broadly and see what happens.

That is ridiculous, it should be done within reason. Within the context of a 17 MCAT there'd have to be a notable counterbalance. DO schools are a ****ty option overall but even they have standards, one of which I am certain is an MCAT above a 17.

And as far as the Florida student, from what I understand his father was incredibly well connected. And last I heard the student had repeated two years of preclinical and there is a question of whether he ever graduated.

Last edited: