Getting into med school, the SDN way!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by immediatespring
uhm... okay but u just confused me more, but thanks! :)

I think he said: Hacker speak rocks; get with it newbie.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by birdysback
The point is that few of us here, myself included, are really worthy of guiding anyone's decisions as far as med school goes. To many questions we answer assuredly, yet our responses are mere conjecture. What is the best volunteering activity to do, or the best reason for a low GPA or MCAT score? I don't know, but apparently, 1000's of SDNers do. Beware of the advice you recieve here, just because these people are premeds, it doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

And we need offensive and obnoxious posts from you to make us aware of this fact?? Somehow, none of us realize that this is a board full of people giving their opinions and advice, and it's not gospel???

I think most people on this board are definitely discerning enough to evaluate the value of the advice and information they receive. If they are not capable of doing so, chances are that they will have trouble getting into medical school, as they are unable to effectively present themselves as an applicant.

At the same time, though, part of improving your chances in this process and, in a broader sense, learning about it, requires sharing information and experiences. One of the key components to learning and problem solving is discussion, requiring communication of ideas and evaluation of those ideas in an open FORUM. The tool used to evaluate the validity of those ideas is logic. Just because applying to medical school is a process that is sometimes difficult to understand, it does not mean it is completely incomprehensible. There are basic components to a person's application that every school evaluates, in some way or another, and by improving the strength of those components, one can improve their chances of acceptance. By sharing ideas on how to improve our chances, we can collect the information and evaluate it ourselves, using logic to decide was is best for our own situation.

If you think certain posters give poor information or ideas, either ignore them or leave.

Finally, the greatest thing about this board is how people treat each other with courtesy and respect. I work in a section at a major University Hospital, and many doctors here treat others (other doctors, residents, nurses, administrative staff) very poorly. It is nice to see some future doctors that show a kindness and courtesy that often is the exception and not the rule.

Keep posting folks!! :) :) :)

Ha, ha.

That was pretty funny, birdy. Nice work.