Getting into P.T. school with Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakers23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm started a Masters program (Kinesiology/Exercise Science) this fall and I was wondering how many people have been accepted to P.T. school with a masters. In general, how many people received a masters then went onto P.T. school? Physical Therapy is still my passion and unfortunately I didn't get in this fall so I decided to get a masters instead of wasting my time.

Also, I was wondering will the school look mainly at your grad GPA or still hinder their decisions on your undergraduate work?

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has been in the same boat. Good luck to everyone starting in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

You know what...that was the best idea I have ever read from anyone. I didn't get in either in '08 (because I didn't apply anywhere) and in '09 because I straight up suck ass like an anteater would. And I have been sitting here wondering around for 15 months what I'm going to do with my life. And here you are got into grad school, damn I'm proud of you.

Anyway, FAMU (Florida A&M University), you might have heard of them, automatically accepts people who have a masters or graduate degree. I think. I may be mistaken. Home of the rattlers.....no? how about the marching 100? Not ringing a bell? Largest historically black college? Oh Well.

Yes, you can say that I'm bitter.:mad::(:mad::(

Thanks for the response. Yeah I've applied for the last two years and didn't get in anywhere. I applied all in Cali. So it's been one of those frustrating events that happen in your life. Oh well what can I do, it is what it is. Yeah I heard of FAMU, that's cool to know that they look at the Masters highly. Both my parents went to historical black colleges( Howard and Meharry). Maybe I should have look in that direction. Anyways man keep your head up and keep working at it. The only thing I don't want to be doing is going to school my whole life but then again I guess if you want something you gotta go get it. I just wish schools consider the whole application and the person a little bit more but its all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently putting my packet together for University of St. Augustine FLEX program. I have a B.S. in Exercise Science and a Master's in Human Movement. They told me that I do NOT have to take the GRE since I already have my M.S. so that was good news! Will let you know if I get in. Having an M.S. definitely should help.

I'm currently putting my packet together for University of St. Augustine FLEX program. I have a B.S. in Exercise Science and a Master's in Human Movement. They told me that I do NOT have to take the GRE since I already have my M.S. so that was good news! Will let you know if I get in. Having an M.S. definitely should help.

I am also interested in applying for the FLEX program. What's your reason for choosing FLEX over a regular program? Are you gonna be working full time during the program?

I am also interested in applying for the FLEX program. What's your reason for choosing FLEX over a regular program? Are you gonna be working full time during the program?

anyone?

When I wanted to make the move to PT I debated getting my Masters in Exercise Science to "bridge the gap" from my undergrad (education major), but when I talked to both the MS Program Coordinator and a person from Pitt they both suggested I just take the required pre-reqs and apply right away that the Masters wouldn't weigh anymore on my app.

Although, I think it's a fantastic idea to do if you didn't get accepted first time through, no use wasting time! :)

lakers23,

I, too decided to get my M.S. in Exercise Science/Physiology before applying to the DPT program. After I graduated from undergrad(B.S.Kinesiology/Movement Science), I worked for 2 years in intercollegiate athletics and as a personal trainer, but I decided I wanted to go back for more education. After my first semester in the M.S. program, I decided that I wanted to pursue my DPT.

Some schools say that it looks really good on your application, while others say that it will not factor into their decision to accept you or not. I would check with each program to decipher whether having your Master's degree or not.

FYI: PTCAS does include your graduate GPA into the calculation for your cumulative gpa, so if you do really well in the M.S. program then it can only help to give you a boost. Best wishes to you!

I have my BS in Health Promotion and I was in the process of finishing my MS in exercise science when I decided that DPT would be the next step I wanted to take. I talked with USC (the real USC..University of South Carolina) and they told me that students with a Masters get preference over students applying who only have a bachelors because you have basically proven that you can handle graduate student work. My GRE and GPA was not stellar, but adequate. I am confident that it was my Masters that made me a highly desirable candidate. I'm now on my final clinical rotation now and graduate in December. Yay!

Good luck getting into a school!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one in a Master's Program! I'm in my 2nd year in the Masters program in Kinesiology. I originally entered the program because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go into PT or do research. I've decided to apply to PT school for the Fall 2011 program. Getting a Master's Degree in Kinesiology is good for someone who wants to continue onto a PhD program and conduct research. Other than that, I feel that the degree gives you limited opportunities to find a future job. You could work in cardiac rehab or be an exercise physiologist, but those jobs are limited. Most of my classmates don't have a clue on what they want to do after they receive the degree. Others are applying to PA school and nursing. I don't regret my decision though- I was able to work part time, retake a prerequisite class to improve my grade, travel, and get more PT experience. Also, the tuition was cheap and I got a grant to pay for the tuition =) Anyways, I'm hoping that I can get accepted to PT school *fingers crossed*