Getting into research in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camb370

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Starting medical school in a few weeks. Going to take the first few months to get into the rhythm of school, but I'm interested in a competitive specialty (ortho) and want to get into research for it. The thing is, I know I need a crazy amount of pubs, but I just don't want to come off as a gunner when approaching residents/attendings to ask if I can get involved in projects; I want to make clear that I want my work to be published, making my intentions clear, etc, without rubbing them the wrong way. Has anyone else who's been interested in a competitive specialty communicated that pubs are needed, and if so, how? I even apologize if this post comes off as gunnerish - I just like knowing ahead of time and planning. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not gunnerish. You don’t want to waste your time. The trick is to ask this with couth. When you’re contacting them, whether it be in person or via email, inquire about their track record of publications/pub history. Find out which resident teams get **** done or are the most active.

There’s no way to ever know for certain if work will make a pub, but you can get a feel for things (I’ve been burned a couple times - it happens, it sucks). PDs during the residency application process don’t give a rat’s ass about “research experience”. They want to see publications.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're doing med school at any sort of academic center, which most medical schools are, all of the orthopedics attendings that you would be approaching for research would be well aware of the competitiveness of Ortho and the research requirement that goes along with that competitiveness.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're doing med school at any sort of academic center, which most medical schools are, all of the orthopedics attendings that you would be approaching for research would be well aware of the competitiveness of Ortho and the research requirement that goes along with that competitiveness.
This is true, but most honestly don’t give a ****. They just want a workhorse.

It’s not gunnerish. You don’t want to waste your time. The trick is to ask this with couth. When you’re contacting them, whether it be in person or via email, inquire about their track record of publications/pub history. Find out which resident teams get **** done or are the most active.

There’s no way to ever know for certain if work will make a pub, but you can get a feel for things (I’ve been burned a couple times - it happens, it sucks). PDs during the residency application process don’t give a rat’s ass about “research experience”. They want to see publications.

I did this up front based on SDN advice, and felt kind of silly afterwards because my PI has been extremely up-front about expectations, responsibilities, authorship, etc. On the other hand, I have friends who are working in other labs where things are not as obvious and clean-cut. I guess it's something to play by ear - it may be an issue or it may not.

I don't think I would directly ask about someone's track record... I would look them up on google and pubmed and see for yourself. Also you might consider contacting upper classmen or alumni who matched into ortho for advice about who to work with.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m probably echoing some of what’s above, but I’d just be upfront and market yourself as a straight-shooter and a finisher. Let potential mentors know that you’re interested the field and want to explore the field more through whatever research they have available. Many PIs will start by giving you something small because they often have people flake out on them. Certainly shop around but don’t be too proud to take something small and do it well. If word gets around that you’re someone who finishes projects effectively and efficiently, you will soon be buried in opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users