Getting into SGU, AUC, SABA, Ross with 3.0 cGPA and 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Somethingmore

Inexperienced Sophomore
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The topic pretty much says it all. Also, I have moderate ECs (70+ hours volunteering at a hospital, and some non-medical related stuff).

Breakdown of MCAT
VR = 10
BS = 10
PS = 9

Members don't see this ad.

The topic pretty much says it all. Also, I have moderate ECs (70+ hours volunteering at a hospital, and some non-medical related stuff).

Breakdown of MCAT
VR = 10
BS = 10
PS = 9

Why not work on bringing the GPA up and going DO? Carib's a bad place to go if you want to practice in the States. It looks like it's only going to get worse.

I think its absolutely awful when people make comments that "the carib is bad place to go if you want to practice in the US".

It is a wonderful alternative, if you do your research, for those who do not get into US schools. The Director of the floor I intern at is an AUC graduate and is a decorated physician. Try telling him he made the wrong choice by going to a carib school.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you go, all that matters is WHAT you do. Best of luck in your future, carib or not!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its what you will not be able to do if you go carib.

I think its absolutely awful when people make comments that "the carib is bad place to go if you want to practice in the US".

It is a wonderful alternative, if you do your research, for those who do not get into US schools. The Director of the floor I intern at is an AUC graduate and is a decorated physician. Try telling him he made the wrong choice by going to a carib school.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you go, all that matters is WHAT you do. Best of luck in your future, carib or not!

http://youtu.be/0PxckhIobq0?t=1m23s

Sure...some manage to get through and return to the U.S. but it's not exactly a good idea, since chances are good you won't be one of the few "lucky" ones to land a family practice residency in rural up-state New York. (Yes, I am aware some do get more desirable residencies but these are definitely in the small minority.) The AAMC also seems to be doing its best to prevent future Carib grads from returning to the States as practicing physicians by basically filling all of the U.S. residency spots with American grads.

That's where DO comes in and takes the rest.

As many have already said, there are more and more US medical graduates competing for the exact same number of residency spots. Which means there aren't a lot of left overs even for the students that do actually graduate from the Carib afteri matriculating.

And even that might be fine, if it was 1985 and student loan debt was still dischargable like every other kind of debt in the world. Unfortunately, however, we have entered a world where student debt is now non-dischagable for LIFE. When you bet on the Caribbean and lose you don't just lose the years you put into it and go bankrupt, you literally have to live in poverty every day until you die, because you'll never pay back the debt no matter how hard you try.

Caribbean schools didn't use to be a bad idea, they used to be a good back up option. In years past you would go to the islands if you couldn't quite manage a US school and, if you avoided failing out, you would get a good if not great residency. And if things didn't work out you knew you had taken your shot, went bankrupt, and moved on. Now, however, there are a horde of Caribbean grad competing for just a handful of slots not already taken by US grads, and everyone who doesn't make it in is F-d for life. And it's getting worse with every class expansion and every new school (and there are a lot of them). Soon there aren't even going to be enough residency slots for US grads, and the Carib is pretty much going to be a waste of time. 'Soon', BTW, might be before you graduate.

Don't take the risk. Get in o a US school or try an alternative career.

Last edited:
As many have already said, there are more and more US medical graduates competing for the exact same number of residency spots. Which means there aren't a lot of left overs even for the students that do actually graduate from the Carib afteri matriculating.

And even that might be fine, if it was 1985 and student loan debt was still dischargable like every other kind of debt in the world. Unfortunately, however, we have entered a world where student debt is now non-dischagable for LIFE. When you bet on the Caribbean and lose you don't just lose the years you put into it and go bankrupt, you literally have to live in poverty every day until you die, because you'll never pay back the debt no matter how hard you try.

Caribbean schools didn't use to be a bad idea, they used to be a good back up option. In years past you would go to the islands if you couldn't quite manage a US school and, if you avoided failing out, you would get a good if not great residency. And if things didn't work out you knew you had taken your shot, went bankrupt, and moved on. Now, however, there are a horde of Caribbean grad competing for just a handful of slots not already taken by US grads, and everyone who doesn't make it in is F-d for life. And it's getting worse with every class expansion and every new school (and there are a lot of them). Soon there aren't even going to be enough residency slots for US grads, and the Carib is pretty much going to be a waste of time. 'Soon', BTW, might be before you graduate.

Don't take the risk. Get in o a US school or try an alternative career.
I agree with most of your post, but the part in bold is simply nonsense.

I agree with most of your post, but the part in bold is simply nonsense.

Did you maybe read it differently than I intended? I meant it in the sense of 'soon there might not even be enough spots for ALL US grads', as in the day might soon come when low tier US schools have only have an 90% success rate in the match rather than a 100% success rate. I don't think that's so implausible. If you keep adding medical students and never add more GME sooner or later you will have more medical students than GME.

Did you maybe read it differently than I intended? I meant it in the sense of 'soon there might not even be enough spots for ALL US grads', as in the day might soon come when low tier US schools have only have an 90% success rate in the match rather than a 100% success rate. I don't think that's so implausible. If you keep adding medical students and never add more GME sooner or later you will have more medical students than GME.
I don't think our institutions will allow any American medical graduate to be thrown under the bus like this.

Last edited:
I really doubt that day will ever come. While there is a shortage of doctors, the government will be forced to open new residencies. They probably won't be in the desirable specialties, but no doctor will be unable to find a job. Remember, still a lot of Caribbean graduates are getting residency. They will disappear before any American student goes without residency.

there is a doctor shortage and GME is being seriously cut. there is an active attempt to squeeze out carrib grads.

as bad as things are looking now, getting residency 4 yrs from now after graduating from a carrib school is unlikely. Go DO, if prestige is the issue dont worry about it, people are already starting to believe nurses are as good as physicians, so in the future there wont be much prestige associated with either degree. anyway if you think a carrib MD will be more respected than a DO you really need to check those match rates.

I was wondering if there is a really big difference in the quality of the school and the matching rates between SGU and AUC.
They are both nice islands and seem to have a descent medical school but SGU is much more expensive. Is the price difference worth it. All I know is that SGU is very well renown, but I am assuming AUC is also getting much better stats lately. AUC also got a 96% pass rate for step 1. They are also building new buildings for medschools which will be ready in august 2013. AUC also have much smaller classes then SGU.
So is the reputation for SGU really worth the price and would it really be considered much better then AUC to have a future as a physician in the States or Canada?
I am having a very hard time deciding between the two mostly because St George is more renown.