Getting into the Market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drfunktacular

ANA ≠ SLE
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not buying individual stocks, of course...

All I have is a checking account--i.e., no investments, period. I know next to nothing about investing.

Let's say I've got $10,000 to invest. I've been looking at some Bogle-heads stuff, and it's making me wonder: is now a good time to invest in an index fund? Let's assume that we're near the bottom of the Dow trough (of course, who knows): would buying shares of an index fund now allow you to benefit from the--hopefully--inevitable recovery in the market, even if it's months or years down the line?
 
I think the broad market indices are going to decline approximately 15% more before hitting bottom. I believe this will happen near the end of October. Once the Dow drops below 7500, I would recommend gradually moving your money into a stock market index fund or ETF.

Given the recent strength of the US dollar and its likely future decline, moving some of your money into international fund is also reasonable. I agree with phatib's assessment regarding China and Russia.
 
I think the broad market indices are going to decline approximately 15% more before hitting bottom. I believe this will happen near the end of October. Once the Dow drops below 7500, I would recommend gradually moving your money into a stock market index fund or ETF.

Given the recent strength of the US dollar and its likely future decline, moving some of your money into international fund is also reasonable. I agree with phatib's assessment regarding China and Russia.

I'm a little baby investor, so I'm not super-sophisticated with this stuff, but I do have some cash I could stick somewhere medium-term. Let's say your hypothetical proves true and I am investing right at the bottom on the last day of October--what about the idea of putting some amount of it in a fund-of-funds that includes a bit of everything, including internationals? I'm not really interested in any kind of hyper-risky thing trying to get rich; I just want my piece of the action on the upswing 😀, and get some degree of bond-type hedging against wild swings :scared:.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The market doesn't finally bottom until housing does and we're no where near a bottom in housing.
 
I'm a little baby investor, so I'm not super-sophisticated with this stuff, but I do have some cash I could stick somewhere medium-term. Let's say your hypothetical proves true and I am investing right at the bottom on the last day of October--what about the idea of putting some amount of it in a fund-of-funds that includes a bit of everything, including internationals? I'm not really interested in any kind of hyper-risky thing trying to get rich; I just want my piece of the action on the upswing 😀, and get some degree of bond-type hedging against wild swings :scared:.

that would be fine. If you have access to vanguard funds, you may want to do something like 50% Total Stock Market Index, 20% Total International Stock index, and 30%Total Bond Market Index.