Getting killed by TBR Passages!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StanUHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing the TBR passages and I am getting like a 60 percent on every set in like all the subjects!! Is that normal for TBR? I am getting very worried because my test date is in a month and i dont know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently doing the TBR passages and I am getting like a 60 percent on every set in like all the subjects!! Is that normal for TBR? I am getting very worried because my test date is in a month and i dont know what to do.

TBR is definitely challenging, but it gets you to think really critically. What I would recommend is do the passages timed and really spend time reviewing the questions that you get wrong. They have the BEST answer explanations and really get you into knowing how to take the exam. View every mistake as an opportunity to learn and keep a positive attitude and you'll see improvements!

i think thats pretty normal honestly. I average around 60-70% right

TBR is definitely challenging, but it gets you to think really critically. What I would recommend is do the passages timed and really spend time reviewing the questions that you get wrong. They have the BEST answer explanations and really get you into knowing how to take the exam. View every mistake as an opportunity to learn and keep a positive attitude and you'll see improvements!

this is good advice, always do them under timed conditions because it'll make you start thinking about what is important for solving a question in terms of time. Then definitely review them in depth either after or the next day because they really do have excellent explanations

Members don't see this ad :)
I found using a combination of timed and untimed passages to be most effective for me. Working passages under timed conditions developes important MCAT test taking skills, but it doesn't do anything to enhace your thinking strategies. If repeated timed attempts aren't yielding any improvements for you, then go ahead and slow things down a bit. At a slower tempo you can strengthen your skills in synthesizing the passage information with your pre-existing knowledge base.

In my opinion, this strategy is analagous to learning a new piece of music on an instrument. Unless you are an amazing sight-reader, the tempo needs to be slowed down until you have learned the fundamentals and mechanics of a piece. There is no point to pushing ahead at full speed if you can't link the notes together at half speed.

The first time I studied for the MCAT, I took a Kaplan course and attempted every passage under timed conditions (as they suggested). I scored a 32. While studying to retake the test I reviewed independently and practiced under timed and untimed conditions. My score jumped up 5 points.

Take this with a grain of salt: I averaged 4-5 out of 7 on most Physics passages, 5-7 on Chem, 4-6 on Bio and Orgo I was nearly flawless on. My practice test ranges were 11 to 13 on PS and 11 to 14 on BS. On the real thing, I got a 12 on PS and 11 on BS. I will say this though, the first few weeks of doing TBR passages I was doing terribly (my Bio average might have been something like 2 or 3 out of 7, for example).

Like protonate said, the explanations are what set TBR apart from the rest. The fact that they pretty much delve into why each answer choice is wrong for every single question is a feat, and something that you should take advantage of, for it'll let you see what you did wrong (as well as what you did right!). In the end, it comes down to learning how to work your way through a passage in concert with your knowledge base, rather than simply getting the answer.

Hopefully you are getting questions wrong because TBR is confusing you and not because you don't know the content.

Is it a good idea to do the first 1/3 passages untimed, then the second and final 1/3 under timed conditions?

Is it a good idea to do the first 1/3 passages untimed, then the second and final 1/3 under timed conditions?

Do them all timed. If you go over, just record that you went overtime and continue until you finish.