Getting Kypho Referrals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadhead2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long-time lurker and infrequent poster. Really appreciate everything I have learned from this forum and would appreciate any advice I can get on this.

I am a new grad working in a hospital-employed group. My group does some kypho, but I am starting out of 2 new locations without any established pain physicians or set referral sources. One location is attached to a small, rural non-trauma hospital and the other is associated with a busy level 3 trauma center. There are no spine surgeons or neurosurgeons in either location, for what it's worth.

I would like to figure out the best way to get referrals for kypho. The Stryker and Medtronic reps tell me that nobody is doing any kypho in either location, so there is no real competition.

For those who do a lot of kypho (@lobelsteve, @BobBarker, I'm sure there are others), how do you get referrals? Meet with PCPs, ER, hospitalist, and trauma? Do you take any inpatient call or see these patients if they are admitted? I am definitely willing to put in the work to get these referrals, but I would appreciate any tips on the best way to go about it.

Members don't see this ad.

You can visit with the ED Docs and give them your cell phone number. Get the patient in the next day for consult.

Reactions: 1 user
Talk to ED docs and urgent care. If there’s no IR guys doing them either, talk to the imaging centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCPs and EDs. Mind you, you’ll be getting a lot of old fractures in the referral mix as well. But still good injection candidates.

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'll definitely swing by the ED to meet the docs and visit some PCPs too.

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'll definitely swing by the ED to meet the docs and visit some PCPs too.
I'll be interested to hear your experience with this. I had the practice I just joined give me a list of referring docs and practices. In the weeks leading up to starting, I called a bunch of them to let them know by there was a new provider in town and offered to swing by and say hello/have lunch.

Absolute radio silence from every kind of practice.

Maybe I sound funny on the phone...

I'll be interested to hear your experience with this. I had the practice I just joined give me a list of referring docs and practices. In the weeks leading up to starting, I called a bunch of them to let them know by there was a new provider in town and offered to swing by and say hello/have lunch.

What do you mean radio silence? They had to respond somehow to your offer

Spoke to alot of practice managers/receptionists.

“Oh yea. We will pass that along to the docs and let you know if/when there’s a good time.”

Then ghosted afterwards.
did you follow up with them afterwards?

AE9C78DB-0328-4ED2-86EC-F9AC0777C396.jpeg

PCP call while I am in OR. Lots of pain. Can I log in and look at imaging and work him in. Yea. Yes. Yes.

May I ask what leads you to want to more kyphos? I’m genuinely curious.

My friend told me they brought in lots of money. I told him they weren’t worth it financially speaking unless done in office. He didn’t believe me when I said not much $$$ and lots of fluoro. My impression was they at one time paid well but not anymore.

Maybe others have had different experiences.

My friend told me they brought in lots of money. I told him they weren’t worth it financially speaking unless done in office. He didn’t believe me when I said not much $$$ and lots of fluoro. My impression was they at one time paid well but not anymore.

They pay well in the office and tend to get better. I'd still say I wait out 90% of fractures I see

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No one has time to meet anymore. Covid didn’t help. The door to the back office is permanently closed at many practices now

They pay well in the office and tend to get better. I'd still say I wait out 90% of fractures I see
Maybe it’s just a minor subset in my anecdotal experience but these patients sometimes are older, sicker, and more frail. After I do the kypho they say that it didn’t work because now they have SI joint pain, hip pain from walking more, or were admitted to the emergency room for an infection from their COPD. They tell my staff that it didn’t work though. And they also tell their PCP it didn’t work because they’re not able to stand up straight yet like before.

Maybe it’s just a minor subset in my anecdotal experience but these patients sometimes are older, sicker, and more frail. After I do the kypho they say that it didn’t work because now they have SI joint pain, hip pain from walking more, or were admitted to the emergency room for an infection from their COPD. They tell my staff that it didn’t work though. And they also tell their PCP it didn’t work because they’re not able to stand up straight yet like before.
Your results are different than mine. One of the most rewarding things we do. 90% of the patients get off the table and pain is gone.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
What is the most recent data on adjacent level fractures after kyphoplasty?

Oh yeah that’s probably why our results are different. Some HMOs I take require anywhere from a 6-12 week waiting period which doesn’t make sense to me.
Are you getting good fills? That makes a big difference too

Are you getting good fills? That makes a big difference too
Sometimes I don’t. Could be my technique. Don’t want to push it too much. Could be the bone has already started to harden given it is no longer acute. Is there a rough cutoff you have for a good fill? Looking to learn more.

Sometimes I don’t. Could be my technique. Don’t want to push it too much. Could be the bone has already started to harden given it is no longer acute. Is there a rough cutoff you have for a good fill? Looking to learn more.
If more than 4 months has past, it is not kypho worthy.
Volumes are a Doug Bealle thing. Older literature supported 2 to 4.5cc was adequate fill for relief. Hoping Doug comes out with some good retrospective review data. Then teaches us all how not to spill it into adjacent disk, anteriorly through Fx line, or into the epidural space.

The few cases I did in fellowship had great outcomes, so that is what got me interested. Plus, I enjoy doing kyphos and the balance of the evidence suggests that patients benefit from it. In my area, it is way underutilized.

I'm hospital employed (salaried with wRVU production bonus after year 2) so the money is not a primary motivator for me.

Probably 'cuz you're not a provider, you're a physician.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I like to see spiculation from pedicle to pedicle and endplate to endplate. Volume depends on level, collapse, and spread. Bealls look like hockey pucks with tentacles. Seems excessive to me but he's done more than I'll ever do in a lifetime

Reactions: 1 users
I like to see spiculation from pedicle to pedicle and endplate to endplate. Volume depends on level, collapse, and spread. Bealls look like hockey pucks with tentacles. Seems excessive to me but he's done more than I'll ever do in a lifetime
To get that kind of volume do you keep pumping up the VB? Move the cannula?

To get that kind of volume do you keep pumping up the VB? Move the cannula?
Yes keep filling in one spot if it's spreading up-down and sideways nicely without going anywhere it shouldn't. Move cannula if it stops going the direction you want

I agree with @RoloTomassi. I’m looking for pedicle to pedicle, top to bottom. I will do my best to accomplish that by moving the cannula. But I am not cavalier with overfilling and leakage. There is a happy medium which is safest.

There's a study showing chance of pulmonary cement increases with volume

Yes, I have seen cases like that. Lungs, canal.

I’ve actually heard Beal say “I’ve never had a neurological problem that I’m aware of after a kyphoplasty”. I wonder if that’s true. You can’t be that aggressive and do that much without ever having an issue…

You aren’t serious enough to go meet them in person so they aren’t taking you serious enough to call you back. That’s how they are thinking about it most likely I believe. I beat the streets regularly and show up in their waiting room, only kind of marketing I’ve ever done and it’s worked well for me and my partners. I also have personally visited ever ER in the surrounding area within 1 hour of my main office and given my cell number to every one of them. My advice is just get out there and hustle. It will work.

Reactions: 1 users