Stryker Kypho curved needle balloon issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoYouEvenLiftBro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
6 stryker kyphos since last month. All but 1 I had an issue with the passing the balloon through the curved needle channel.

Unilateral access, curved needle, across midline to other pedicle, try to insert balloon and it won’t advance thru. Take balloon out aspirate balloon, try to put a bend on the tip, wet it in saline. Nothing. Ended up for those 5 switching bipedicular, drilling, and ballon.

I think the one that worked was a lumbar 10 gauge verse the thoracic 11 gauge, might be something with that

Any other thoughts or tips? Would a curette do anything?

Members don't see this ad.

We had this exact same issue on our last kypho. One of the balloons would just not pass. We opened another balloon and it went through fine, not sure the issue

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a fan of the new curved needle instruments. Liked the previous generation curved needle setup better

The system I use has a straight access that the balloon goes through, then a curve that can navigate and fill. Never an issue passing the balloon, but certainly some issues with higher pressure disconnect scenarios while filling

Omnicurve has been working for me fine.
Unilateral access, take out cannulae leave sheath in, put balloon in, take sheath out to black line, inflate, then I actually just resheath the gun back in and advance sheath back and put cement in

My big issue is if the bone is a little hard when you get in there, the initial gun won’t curve