Getting married while in an MOT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jolene2831

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall I'm starting in an MOT program. Long story short, I want to get married, and I don't want to wait until I graduate. How much of a crazy idea is it to attempt to get married while in school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to get married this summer before you start the program? I know it's not the ideal amount of time to prepare for a wedding but considering the amount of time/energy/stress/emotions etc. that go into planning a wedding, that is the last thing I would want competing with my ability to focus on school.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying that you should consider your options. If your dream is to have a big fancy wedding, then maybe consider doing a small civil ceremony in the fall and have the official shindig next summer!

I would say try to hold off until your second year. A few people in my program have gotten married during and even had babies. Usually it's been during the 2nd year, not the 1st, which is known to be the hardest of the program.

People get married all the time. Most people get married while working 40+ hours per week. You aren't going to prison, you are going to grad school! You might have to plan the date around your school schedule/breaks (and might need to start the program to get a better idea of when those times are), but really, if you are ready to get married, plan it! If you wait til you are out of school, when are you going to plan your wedding? During your first year at a new job when you don't have vacation days yet? You know what I mean? Unless you are independently wealthy, you aren't ever going to have a time in your life where you can devote any kind of majority of your time to planning your wedding.

Congrats on your engagement!