Getting nervous about my late application submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentwasconfused

Waiting on interviews!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had lots of issues with my letters of recommendation and lots of trust that was broken through this process. I had 2 science professors and 1 non-science professor that did their due diligence, my dentist wrote me a pretty generic one I think, but my last one from my workplace messed up everything!

I asked my boss, they agreed, and told me the week before school ended that they found a new job and won't be able to finish it for me (I gave them 6 months). I asked another boss in the same job since I was close to her too, and she agreed, and said she would have it done before her maternity leave. She went on maternity leave and didn't have it done, and I had to ask her coworkers because she was not replying to my calls or emails. Turns out, she resigned. So I went to a different workplace and asked my boss there, they agreed and wrote a great letter for me!

So my committee letter was ready by the 2nd week of September by my pre-health advisor. But she said she had "more important things" to take care of first, and I just got the email that everything was submitted on October 5th! I had my supplemental in on Aug 6th and did all of my work long before then.

Will this put me at a disadvantage? I know October is so late to submit my application. I received an email from the school saying my app is under review. Regardless of whether it's my fault or not, is this going to hurt my chances? I'm not planning on having anything done before Dec 1st, I think I'll be lucky if I get interviewed in January or February at this point :(

tl;dr: LORs got delayed because the people I trusted did not follow through with their promises, application submitted on Oct 5th, will this hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had lots of issues with my letters of recommendation and lots of trust that was broken through this process. I had 2 science professors and 1 non-science professor that did their due diligence, my dentist wrote me a pretty generic one I think, but my last one from my workplace messed up everything!

I asked my boss, they agreed, and told me the week before school ended that they found a new job and won't be able to finish it for me (I gave them 6 months). I asked another boss in the same job since I was close to her too, and she agreed, and said she would have it done before her maternity leave. She went on maternity leave and didn't have it done, and I had to ask her coworkers because she was not replying to my calls or emails. Turns out, she resigned. So I went to a different workplace and asked my boss there, they agreed and wrote a great letter for me!

So my committee letter was ready by the 2nd week of September by my pre-health advisor. But she said she had "more important things" to take care of first, and I just got the email that everything was submitted on October 5th! I had my supplemental in on Aug 6th and did all of my work long before then.

Will this put me at a disadvantage? I know October is so late to submit my application. I received an email from one school saying my app is under review. Regardless of whether it's my fault or not, is this going to hurt my chances? I'm not planning on having anything done before Dec 1st, I think I'll be lucky if I get interviewed in January or February at this point :(

tl;dr: LORs got delayed because the people I trusted did not follow through with their promises, application submitted on Oct 5th, will this hurt me?
Quite honestly, that’s really late to submit....but you might get some post December interviews. I’m so sorry this happened to you!

Can you post your stats as that will help to know your chances for some interviews? Also, your shadowing hours, etc.
I hope things can work out for you...best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't AADSAS only allow four letters if you choose the individual letters option, and only one individual letter if you choose the committee letter option?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My DAT AA was 22, TS 22, PAT 21
My GPA is 3.7, Science GPA 3.5 (i got B-'s in orgo but A+ in gen chem)
I have about 500 hours of volunteering/shadowing between a corporate office, private practice, and free clinic.
I'm also working 3 part time jobs on campus and have 3 clubs where I'm president and can talk at length about each club.

I am in a 3+4 with a guaranteed interview, but I don't know if that will give me any extra edge. (this school is the only one I'm applying to because I'm a junior in college)

I'm just really upset everyone I relied on let me down. I know I am going to get an interview, is this something I can talk about in the interview to clarify why I was a late applicant?

Did you really need an employer letter though? You had your four letters: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 dentist. Doesn't that fit the requirements of almost every school? Most schools only accept four letters anyways.

Doesn't AADSAS only allow four letters if you choose the individual letters option, and only one individual letter if you choose the committee letter option?

So I'm in a 3+4 at my school, and they make us find 4 professors (2 science, 1 non-science, 1 non-academic) and they send letters to the pre-health advisor. She drafts a committee letter and submits it as one. My dentist wrote his letter and included things I asked him to specifically mention and harp on, but he later told me he found a really good letter online and modified it and included my points, hence it probably being generic. That was a separate upload.

My school's program has been around for a few years and this is how the upperclassmen in the program told me to do it, so I'm just trusting them, and that's how the other people in my program did it too.

Has anyone in this program ever been rejected from that dental school?

Hard to say. At an interview, I wouldn't specifically mention this, since once you get an interview, they have most likely already looked past this.

Has anyone in this program ever been rejected from that dental school?

Yes, the first one rejected was last year, but from what I've heard, they gave up studying for the DAT because it got to be too much for them, and they got a 17. Never got an interview (program requirements are 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT) but they're reapplying now and seem much more optimistic.

Hard to say. At an interview, I wouldn't specifically mention this, since once you get an interview, they have most likely already looked past this.

Is it possible they'd just interview me for the sake of interviewing me? Because I'm guaranteed an interview (not a seat in the dental school) since I met program requirements and have a fairly decent amount of shadowing and volunteer time. They kind of have to interview me.

I got accepted into this program as a high school senior if that helps.

Yes, the first one rejected was last year, but from what I've heard, they gave up studying for the DAT because it got to be too much for them, and they got a 17. Never got an interview (program requirements are 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT) but they're reapplying now and seem much more optimistic.

Lol with these types of programs I wouldn't worry. You are pretty much guaranteed acceptance unless you bomb the interview. Will they interview before December?

Lol with these types of programs I wouldn't worry. You are pretty much guaranteed acceptance unless you bomb the interview. Will they interview before December?

I'm not sure honestly, the one person in the program who got accepted last year got accepted in February. But thank you, that does reassure me some! There's only 4 seats in the program at my school, so that in and of itself was hard to get into.