Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
I can't help but get a little nervous right now. I've gotten 5 interview invites, which has felt great. Especially after getting ZERO interview invites from MD schools. But as time passes I feel like I'm still too late. One of my interviews is scheduled for April 4. I mean, come on. Do they really have seats open by then? I doubt it. And there's still a few schools I could hear from, and undoubtedly they would schedule me for April interviews. I'm afraid I'm wasting alot of money and time (especially my PTO at work!). I get really excited when I get these interview invites, but then really depressed when I think about the kind of chance I have at this point. What a rollercoaster.
 

kidgorgeous

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
131
0
Visit site
Status
hey khenon! don't worry about it! Just keep on doing what you have to do! All you can really do is try your best and keep giving your best by attending these interviews until you get accepted. In my opinion if you have an interview then at least you have a chance to get accepted. Does that mean losing a lot of money? sure! But, what the hell when you are broke you are broke and everyone on this board knows that feeling!
Best wishes,
kid. :thumbup:
 

Chisel

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2002
119
0
Visit site
Status
Khenon said:
I can't help but get a little nervous right now. I've gotten 5 interview invites, which has felt great. Especially after getting ZERO interview invites from MD schools. But as time passes I feel like I'm still too late. One of my interviews is scheduled for April 4. I mean, come on. Do they really have seats open by then? I doubt it. And there's still a few schools I could hear from, and undoubtedly they would schedule me for April interviews. I'm afraid I'm wasting alot of money and time (especially my PTO at work!). I get really excited when I get these interview invites, but then really depressed when I think about the kind of chance I have at this point. What a rollercoaster.
Work your butt off to prepare for the interview. Know every possible question that they can have for you and how to answer it.

If for nothing else, these interviews will give you the oppotunity to practice your interview skills. I know that may not sound good, but this is the approach you must take.

Interview #1 will probably be the hardest and they should become easier the more they come.

Worst case scernario, you don't get in this year. At least you'll have hte experiences to carry with you next year.

I interviewed rather late in the process and I was wait listed at both schools. Then, by the luck of God, I was accepted at both. Stuff happens. Candidates withdraw and schools are often scrambling to find candidates they interviewed and that are worthy of acceptance.

Good luck.

Chisel
PCOM MS III.75

PS- A life in medicine is a rollercoaster ride. So buckle-up and enjoy the ride. When you are up, you can cure anyone of anything. And when you are down, you feel as though you've wasted years of your life. Keep your eyes open and don't let anyone or anything discourage you.
 
OP
K

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
Ahh the woes of applying to medical school! Well I just hope that statistically speaking I would get at least one acceptance out of all these interviews.

Unfortunately, settling for "interview experience" doesn't quite do it for me. I've actually already been through this rigamarole in several other situations in my life, so these interviews aren't that different to me. Frankly, if I don't get an acceptance this year, this will all have been nothing more than a huge waste of money and PTO. But I have to live with that. It's my choice to apply to medical school. And I remind myself that there are worse things in life then spending money on interviews. :rolleyes:

But, if I do get in, you'll all be the first to know! :)
 

seacatch

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
84
2
New York
Visit site
Status
Khenon said:
Ahh the woes of applying to medical school! Well I just hope that statistically speaking I would get at least one acceptance out of all these interviews.

Unfortunately, settling for "interview experience" doesn't quite do it for me. I've actually already been through this rigamarole in several other situations in my life, so these interviews aren't that different to me. Frankly, if I don't get an acceptance this year, this will all have been nothing more than a huge waste of money and PTO. But I have to live with that. It's my choice to apply to medical school. And I remind myself that there are worse things in life then spending money on interviews. :rolleyes:

But, if I do get in, you'll all be the first to know! :)

Khenon,
I believe you are going to get accepted... so you should too. Try not to have the scent of doubt on interview day. Being late really isn't the end of the world. Getting 5 interviews is great. I know the allo world hasn't treated you well (or me either) but the DO schools are looking for something different. Have confidence. It isn't just an excercise in futillity. You are going to be a doctor if you want it bad enough. You'll probably be starting in the fall. You've gone this far in the app cycle, why not let it play out. You'll be fine.
 

calichik

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
103
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey Khenon! Just wanted to wish you good luck with your interviews. :luck: Hope you get an acceptance! :thumbup:
 
OP
K

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
Thanks guys! You're all so sweet. :)

Don't worry . . . I'll have my game face on for the interviews. I actually already had one interview at COMP, and should hear from them soon. So who knows. Maybe tomorrow I'll have something more optimistic to talk about! :laugh:
 

MasterShakeDO

The Drizzle
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
213
4
Southern Cal
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey Khenon... Forgot to tell you that the COMP interview for me was the most serious and 'interview-like'. Those guys were all business. I tried to crack a joke as soon as I got in and all I got stone-faced glares. The other ones I was at were very relaxed and conversational and I had an opportunity to show my real self. One interviewer at TUCOM even asked me why I thought a good sense of humor is an important quality for a physician to have!
So you've done the hard part already, now just show them what kind of person you are!
 
OP
K

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
MasterShakeDO said:
Hey Khenon... Forgot to tell you that the COMP interview for me was the most serious and 'interview-like'. Those guys were all business. I tried to crack a joke as soon as I got in and all I got stone-faced glares. The other ones I was at were very relaxed and conversational and I had an opportunity to show my real self. One interviewer at TUCOM even asked me why I thought a good sense of humor is an important quality for a physician to have!
So you've done the hard part already, now just show them what kind of person you are!
That's really interesting MasterShakerDO. I only had 1 interviewer (the other 2 were busy), and though he was nice, he definitely was a little on the stone-faced side of things. Hopefully you're right and I've had my "hard" interview (which wasn't hard, by the way! :) ).

Well, I've got LECOM-Erie on Friday and TUCOM-NV on Monday. Wish me luck!
 

llort

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
508
0
41
Not California
Status
not too late at all, think about it. there are lots of people like me that are holding DO spots and are waitlisted at MD schools, so once may 15 comes around, I and many others may be dropping our DO slots to go to other schools. so as long as you interview before may 15, you should get in somewhere.
 

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
4,096
4
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Good luck to you Khenon! Remember you sent in your apps later than many people, and you still got interview invites. They must be interested in seeing who you are in person. Relax and enjoy the interviews. Best wishes!
 

lktm831

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
58
0
Status
i'm a late bloomer too.. my DO letter to my file service got lost in the mail and I had to have my DO write a new one and all this confusion. My apps are just barely complete!

in the past two days i got invites for TUCOM-NV (3/21) and LECOM-Erie(4/22) thats really late; i wanna call and ask to get it sooner :cool: but yeah.. i'm hoping i get accepted/waitlisted and someone who is waitlisting else where will get accepted & bump me up & in. :thumbup:

its okay khenon.. us late bloomers will still get in...somewhere :D
 
OP
K

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
1,025
2
Rochester, MN
Status
lktm831 said:
i'm a late bloomer too.. my DO letter to my file service got lost in the mail and I had to have my DO write a new one and all this confusion. My apps are just barely complete!

in the past two days i got invites for TUCOM-NV (3/21) and LECOM-Erie(4/22) thats really late; i wanna call and ask to get it sooner :cool: but yeah.. i'm hoping i get accepted/waitlisted and someone who is waitlisting else where will get accepted & bump me up & in. :thumbup:

its okay khenon.. us late bloomers will still get in...somewhere :D
Well, at least I'm not the ONLY one! :laugh: I sure hope there's some spots left for us. It won't be the end of the world to reapply next year. At least I'll be more focused. ie I'll only apply to DO schools, and will hopefully secure an acceptance early in the season so I can plan. There's always a bright side, right. :D
 

DRealDrZ

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
225
0
Visit site
Status
A friend of mine from school interviewed the last week...and got in. He is in the top 10% of the class. It's possible. Just "be yourself" and you're good.


Z
 

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
7,250
4
Status
Yeah-there is no point in getting nervous about it. Keep thinking positive and good luck! :luck: