Getting out of retail pharmacy to industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wazoodog

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been in the pharmaceutical industry for over 10 years and during that time I've heard quite a few people ask me how they can get out of retail pharmacy and transition into pharma. I've helped a couple friends do this and none have looked back. I've had rotations students ask me for advice on getting into the industry as well whom I've helped. As someone who started in retail and transitioned to a career in the industry, I hope I can impart some useful info.

First, it's important to be self-aware. Know what you bring to the table as a retail/community pharmacist and what you don't. Many retail pharmacists who want to go into industry don't know or understand how to best communicate the skill set they bring to the table. For starters, you want to communicate that you're an HCP that can understand and assess scientific data, communicate scientific data to an appropriate audience (stakeholder), and understand processes and basic risk management concepts. The latter two are things you probably do every day in your job but don't realize the ways you're doing so. Recognizing how you do them and being able to communicate that will go a long way. It's a huge plus if you can communicate that you have program management or project management experience (concept, planning, implementation, etc). It also doesn't hurt if you can communicate and show examples of your negotiation skills, leadership, and ability to be proactive - and influence a team in a positive way.

Next, hire a professional resume/CV writing service or ask a friend in the industry to help you. The adage is true: if you don't get the interview, the problem is your resume. If you get the interview but don't get the job, the problem is with your interviewing skills.

On that note, brush up on your interview skills. Scratch that. Throw out what you know about interviewing and re-learn how to navigate an interview the way the industry does it. In retail, interviews are very simplistic - if you have work experience, there's not much more to it. If you want to have success in landing an industry job, you will need to execute your interviews at a higher level. DO YOUR HOMEWORK - the most common thing I see in interviewing retail pharmacists is inadequate interview preparation. Review the job description thoroughly and know everything on your CV inside out. Research the company and their therapeutic areas, values, vision, products, pipeline, etc. Look up the STAR method of interviewing and reflect how you can use examples from your work experience to show you can learn/perform/relate to each bullet listed in the job description. This is key - industry interviews generally go by the theory that past behavior predicts future behavior. "I'm a fast learner" or "I'm detail-oriented" type of statements are not what interviewers are hoping to hear. They will usually ask questions to assess your level of APPLICABLE experience, and then behavioral questions. Behavioral questions usually focus on the same themes i.e. conflict resolution, leadership, ability to influence, and innovation so be prepared to give examples of these. Understand your strengths and how they will help with your interview and the role. Be INTERESTED in the role itself, not just as a means to getting out of retail. And please, don't say you're interested in the role because you want to get out of retail or are looking for better work-life balance. Hiring managers are looking for someone who can be a good fit, add value, and is excited about the role. They are not looking to provide you an escape.

If you are starting out with no industry experience, it is generally easier to look for a medical information or pharmacovigilance (although less so) role at a generic company, or a CRO (contract research organization). The reason I say it's becoming less likely to find an entry level job in PV is because the trend has become to outsource the entry-level jobs to CROs. That said, I find that more recent PharmD graduates are better suited for medical information anyways due to having a lot of training in clinical and drug info research. In the past, I think pharmacists had a better innate understanding of process mapping which helped in the transition to pharmacovigilance operations.

If you are currently in pharmacy school and would like to pursue a career in the industry, fellowship should probably be your first option. It provides good experience, and it will often put you on the fast track to advancement. Although you won't get paid too well during your fellowship, the advancement opportunities that follow are likely to be well worth it. Experience is king. If the fellowship ship has sailed (as it did for me), your best bet is to get a contract/temp position through a recruiting agency. Before you do so, here are some considerations you'll have to be okay with:

1. Be prepared to take a pay cut from retail. Most pharmacists I know eventually equal what they made in retail within 4 years of joining the industry (some more, some less) but initially you will take a pay cut. Afterwards, your salary will likely continue to increase with promotions and raises.

2. Be prepared to forgo benefits (paid vacation, paid holidays, health benefits) either completely or mostly - for the first year.

3. Be patient - you very well may bomb the first interview or a few - tell yourself it's good practice. Each interview will make you a better interviewer. And you can always congratulate yourself on getting to the interview stage.

4. Realize that the industry is very much a dynamic environment. There are restructurings, mergers, acquisitions, etc. Layoffs are common. However, layoffs usually impact middle management and higher. Also, as you gain more experience the easier it will be for you to find a new job with another organization. A phrase I heard early in my career has proven true - get comfortable being uncomfortable.

5. The hours and schedule and benefits/perks are better than retail, but realize that as you advance you will be gaining more responsibility and you very may well be working more hours than you ever did as a retail pharmacist. Much more. Of course, you will always have time to go to the bathroom though.

6. Yes, the idea of being an MSL is glamorous. The chances of getting offered a MSL, clinical development or regulatory program management job straight out of retail pharmacy is close to nil. Be realistic and spend your time and effort on an area you have a better chance of getting a foot in the door.

Hope this helps. Good luck if you are looking to switch - connections help in getting an interview but usually doesn't help get the job. It's certainly possibly to get in without connections - I and countless others have. It does take some patience and some perseverance - and a willingness to temporarily sacrifice some benefits. I don't regret the years I spent in retail - I think they're very much the core of being a pharmacist. That said, I like being in the industry and would like to stay for the foreseeable future.

*** I see people asking if it's worth it to get a certification, take a drug safety course, or get a MBA/MPH to increase their chances of getting into the industry. I would say it's not worth the time and effort because they are not substitutes for experience. These are all things better done after you gain industry experience so you have more focus on what kind of MBA track or certification course will best help where you want to go in the industry - and sometimes your company will help pay the tuition. Instead, I would say your time and money is better spent on registering and attending a DIA Annual Meeting or something similar. Yes, you will probably feel lost in many of the lectures and forums but at least you'll get background exposure and gain context. There will also be plenty of networking opportunities and people to ask for advice. At the very least - you'll get a nice vacation while fulfilling your live CE credits, sponsored dinners and social events, free stuff from the exhibit hall, and perhaps even a prize drawing (I've won an ipod nano and an apple watch).

On a final note, recognize that there will always be some luck involved in getting a job. A hiring manager may not be looking for an inexperienced candidate for 2 years then suddenly decide to give it a shot. The more patience you have, the more likely that luck will find you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
This is golden advice.

4 years to match retail salary.. Where are you starting from? I think with any experience in retail should be competitive for associate/analyst position or manager w/ more exp.

Med communication/medical information/patient advocacy(PGx)/Pharmacovigilance

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is golden advice.

4 years to match retail salary.. Where are you starting from? I think with any experience in retail should be competitive for associate/analyst position or manager w/ more exp.

Do you work in industry?

This is golden advice.

I would say the starting range for most entry-level positions that retail pharmacists transition into is $70-85k, give or take a few - factor in that if it's contract it may be a bit higher to compensate for not having many benefits. Geographic location (such as SF Bay Area) can mean higher starting pay. Another note is that when I say "match retail pay" within 4 years, I don't mean the high end of a PIC salary range. That is possible and I've seen it happen but I would say that's not the average experience. Similarly, I've seen colleagues with the same years of experience as myself become VPs making well over $200k. Again, this is not the average compensation track. The majority of industry PharmDs I know with 10~12 years of experience are between Manager and Associate Director levels (a few Directors). I think most companies within the industry consider salary a more accurate indicator of experience level than job title.

Last edited:
Do you work in industry?
Yes, entry level analyst

I would say the starting range for most entry-level positions that retail pharmacists transition into is $70-85k, give or take a few - factor in that if it's contract it may be a bit higher to compensate for not having many benefits. Geographic location (such as SF Bay Area) can mean higher starting pay. Another note is that when I say "match retail pay", I don't mean the high end of a PIC salary range. That is possible and I've seen it happen but I would say that's not the average experience. Similarly, I've seen colleagues with the same years of experience become VPs making well over $200k. Again, this is not the average compensation track. The majority of industry PharmDs I know with 10~12 years of experience are between Manager and Associate Director levels (a few Directors). I think most companies within the industry consider salary a more accurate indicator of experience level than job title.

Agreed, will PM

Romark LLC still wanted 1-3 years experience as a CRO in addition to the PharmD. How would you suggest addressing that?

Romark LLC still wanted 1-3 years experience as a CRO in addition to the PharmD. How would you suggest addressing that?

Just about everywhere in industry will say they want 1-3 experience for entry level and 5-7 years for the next level, or 8-10 years for manager level. Consider it standard Job Description language. Sometimes, it will be a hard prerequisite for a hiring manager and at other times it'll just be an ideal preference but something they're willing to be flexible with. The truth is, if someone in industry has 2-3 years experience already they may be gunning for the role that says "5-7 years experience required" - some are even trying to go for manager positions. It's actually not so easy for a hiring manager to get a large pool of candidates that fit all the stated "ideal" preferences. And even if they do, an outstanding interview could make you a lead candidate.

Just about everywhere in industry will say they want 1-3 experience for entry level and 5-7 years for the next level, or 8-10 years for manager level. Consider it standard Job Description language. Sometimes, it will be a hard prerequisite for a hiring manager and at other times it'll just be an ideal preference but something they're willing to be flexible with. The truth is, if someone in industry has 2-3 years experience already they may be gunning for the role that says "5-7 years experience required" - some are even trying to go for manager positions. It's actually not so easy for a hiring manager to get a large pool of candidates that fit all the stated "ideal" preferences. And even if they do, an outstanding interview could make you a lead candidate.

For that company in particular, the standard language was followed through with even if the recruiter sent me a reference to the hiring manager. I was anticipating flexibility, but the company I mentioned was not flexible. How do I find out which ones are flexible enough?

For that company in particular, the standard language was followed through with even if the recruiter sent me a reference to the hiring manager. I was anticipating flexibility, but the company I mentioned was not flexible. How do I find out which ones are flexible enough?
It happens. In those cases, move on nd keep searching. If the hiring manager changes their mind nd decides to be more flexible you'll hear but best to just keep looking. Often times, hiring managers go for months without finding ideal candidates and will then be willing to be more flexible.