Getting published as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merceraluminium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Myself and a colleague are interested in conducting a small study on probiotics and their effects on the human gut, which is pretty much building on on a poster presentation I did several years ago at a research conference. He seems very optimistic about publishing this project in a peer reviewed, online journal but we are both community pharmacists (we are hoping to affiliate with someone in academia) so I decided to ask here how one goes about this.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how and where to get published if you're not a PhD. or research pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone can get published. The key is finding the right journal and that is entirely dependent on the topic and study strength. You might run into issues with using patient data without any sort of IRB (unless a QA type study). You can send the topic to journals and see if they are interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone just tell me what the best probiotic is since it's the hottest thing since fish oil? Any that help with short term memory too a plus. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone just tell me what the best probiotic is since it's the hottest thing since fish oil? Any that help with short term memory too a plus. Thanks

equate brand!

Reactions: 1 user

Shakeology for the win

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I say Florajen is the best. I tell "patients" or as I call them, customers, we keep it in the fridge so it's best. Special treatment means best and we have to "specially" order it. It even tells you how many cups of yogurt it equals. You can't argue with simple math.

My god man, save that kind of language for work. I lose track of how many times I get asked that exactly worded question on a weekly basis. Lol

Anyone can get published. The key is finding the right journal and that is entirely dependent on the topic and study strength. You might run into issues with using patient data without any sort of IRB (unless a QA type study). You can send the topic to journals and see if they are interested.

Agreed, and coming up with someone (if not you personally) who will pay the fees. Sometimes abstracts and/or poster presentations are the best way to start. One of my 'publications' is just a paragraph in the annals of the big clinical toxicology meeting -- required attending the meeting ($$), presenting a poster, and submitting an abstract. But it's citable!

Agreed, and coming up with someone (if not you personally) who will pay the fees. Sometimes abstracts and/or poster presentations are the best way to start. One of my 'publications' is just a paragraph in the annals of the big clinical toxicology meeting -- required attending the meeting ($$), presenting a poster, and submitting an abstract. But it's citable!

Not all journals require a publishing fee. In fact most of the reputable journals do not or it is a very minor amount. If youare paying big bucks to publish your work, then it is probably not worth it.