Getting ready to apply to IHS

Started by 2288mm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2288mm

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I'm highly interested in being a commissioned dental officer, not as a tribal hire, with the Indian Health Service. I have five questions.

1. How many references do the IHS require prior to hire? My main problem is that I only have one employer and obviously have just one source of reference and I don't know if this will suffice.

2. How early should I be applying for an IHS position if my intended start date is in the spring of 2013?

3. What range of salaries can I expect? Will the salaries increase as my length of time there also increases? Are they still offering student loan payments?

4. How competitive is it to get one of these positions?

5. Barring cosmetics and implants, am I given freedom as to which procedures to perform?

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback. I previously read the IHS website but the info there isn't clear to me and doesn't answer many of my questions.