getting really discouraged, please offer some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lily

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to look for some internships in medicine but they all ask for transcripts. i pretty much expected that but had a tiny bit of hope that they might not. My science grades aren't all that good and being pre med pulled my GPA down really low. I'm getting really discouraged about med school too, thinking that i have no chance of making it in. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

advice on what? you haven't posed a specific problem for us to give advice on.

if what you're asking for is a warm, motherly nipple in your mouth, and a comforting "everything will be ok, you'll see" then you're wasting your time. what you need more than anything is what i'm giving you..a stern kick in the ass. if medicine is what you want, get up and get it. you'll find that most people have no patience or respect for weak-willed people. don't be the weakest link, he never does well.

what sort of "internships"... clinical experience? did you complete your BS or BA?

Members don't see this ad :)
i probably came off too strong. look man, i'm not sure about your immediate goals (this internship thing), but obviously this has to do with your long term goals in medicine, because if you're not sure about medicine, you probably won't do the internship. so what i'm saying is that you should really give it some thought. if you want it, shape up and do what you have to do. bring up your gpa by studying ungodly hours if must be. or you may have to do a postbac or master's or something. many people do this all the time. i'm trying to be a good father and smash your butt with a frying pan to get you started. otherwise you'll spend the rest of these critical next few years feeling sorry for yourself. that may not be the case, but if it is, i tried to help. Caveman help. he love help people

rosephys, I don't mean to be harsh, but it doesn't sound like you're looking very hard or using much common sense.

If your transcripts suck - and I hope you're working on that - find opportunities that don't require transcripts! I would be very, very, very surprised if ALL the internship opportunities available in your area require transcripts as a prerequisite. Maybe you're referring to the paid internships/research postitions advertised on your school's pre-med list-serve. If so, start getting a little more creative!

There are many ways to get involved in medicine in your community. Try a community clinic for Medicare patients and/or non-English speakers. Such clinics, especially in the inner city, are often way understaffed and need people to do intake, etc. They don't care whether you got an A or a C in organic chemistry...they care whether you are motivated to work hard and are passionate about helping others. And in the meantime, try to bring up that GPA because you can't hide your transcripts from AMCAS!

penelope

There are lots of things other than internships you can do. Many people do research if you like that sort of thing. Personally I don't and I enjoy my summers out in the sun and get paid for it too as a lifeguard. You can think of plenty of things that are medical related to do over the summer so think of something you like and go for it. Good luck.

[blockquote]Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•if what you're asking for is a warm, motherly nipple in your mouth, •••

Cave,
You once posted that one of my quotes was precious, well this one takes the cake!

Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•Caveman help. he love help people•••

ROFL :D :D

All I could think of reading this was Mango from Blazing Saddles saying "You only man ever whip Mango." :D Thanks for brightening my day Caveman.

As for the original question, if your GPA is that terrible the only thing is face up to the challenge and make it better. There's no real way of getting around making the grades, that's the way we play this game.

Caveman that post about the "warm mothering nipple" was classic. They should start a page where they have the best comments ever....and that one should start out on top.

i don't think you need to do an internship in anything. just volunteer somewhere in a medically related field. or talk to the people personally and tell them that you are very very interested and willin gto work a million hours for free. who can resist free labor? if you want medicine then caveman is right. go out and get it!!!!!!!!!! no more whining.

Lily,

Could you give some more specifics about your situation, like have you already graduated or what year you are, MCAT score, etc.? I don't know your situation, but there's a good chance you can improve your credentials even if it means deferring your med schools plans for a year or two. Think about taking Masters courses (look at the Georgetown SMP program). You can PM me if you like.

--Vinoy

Caveman, nice to hear from you again, how is medical school?

que vinoyp and raptor... this thread is over a year and a half old.