Getting really worried..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bifenthrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 9 schools, and AADSAS mailed everything in on October 26th.

On December 3rd, I got a rejection from UConn and an interview from NYU. I have since been waitlisted at NYU.

However, I have heard absolutely nothing from the other 7 schools I have applied to. The schools were Tufts, BU, UMDNJ, UPenn, Temple, Columbia, and Stonybrook.

Do I still have a chance at getting an interview at one of the 7? And does anyone know when waitlisters start hearing about their status? Is there anything I can do?

This is my second time applying and I really want to get in this time. I don't want to waste any more time, cause I'm not getting any younger. :laugh:

If I don't get in, I'll try to get into a program for fall to complete a second Masters degree, one in Biology this time. But I hope I don't have to resort to that.

Members don't see this ad.

What's really hurting you is your very late application. You should be able to get at least one interview, but if you don't, if you apply this cycle and early (in June) you should be landing multiple interviews and a few acceptances (if there are no red flags)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a low undergraduate GPA of a 3.2 with a BCP of 2.9 or so, due to a D in Orgo2. That is definitely a red flag. But I went on to score a 20 on the Organic section of the DAT.

I already have one master's degree and I'm working full time as a science teacher. I have research experience from my undergrad, which I figure is helpful. I have thousands of hours as a dental assistant spread over the course of five years.

I understand that my undergrad GPA is not ideal, but I just don't get why all the other points of my application haven't overridden that and gotten me interviews/acceptances.

Besides your application being late, you applied to some really competitive schools. (SBU, CU, UConn, UPenn, UMDNJ OOS?) Perhaps you will get a BU interview but it's hard to say. I am sure you will get off the NYU waiting list though. Good luck !

Edit* You might have to retake that Orgo 2 class if i'm not mistaken.

I have a low undergraduate GPA of a 3.2 with a BCP of 2.9 or so, due to a D in Orgo2. That is definitely a red flag. But I went on to score a 20 on the Organic section of the DAT.

I already have one master's degree and I'm working full time as a science teacher. I have research experience from my undergrad, which I figure is helpful. I have thousands of hours as a dental assistant spread over the course of five years.

I understand that my undergrad GPA is not ideal, but I just don't get why all the other points of my application haven't overridden that and gotten me interviews/acceptances.

One thing to keep in mind is the requirement for pre-req is a C or higher. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a high DAT score in that section or even a masters will fulfill that requirement.

Edit* You might have to retake that Orgo 2 class if i'm not mistaken.

This is correct. If you don't have a C or better this is definitely a red flag to adcoms =/. If you don't get an acceptance this year I'd suggest retaking orgo2 as well as getting your application in as early as possible. Hope this helps!

yeah,I have a low undergraduate GPA of a 3.2 with a BCP of 2.9 or so, due to a D in Orgo2. That is definitely a red flag.
4.gif

why don't you have buffalo on your list man. Buffalo is a great school and much cheaper than penn and columbia and it is also more reachable!

why don't you have buffalo on your list man. Buffalo is a great school and much cheaper than penn and columbia and it is also more reachable!

Cause people think Buffalo is a sucky place to live lol

Buffalo is like 8 hours away. I live in NYC. Plus I don't deal well with super cold weather like they have up there. I'd really rather not spend four years living there.

kind of curious if this is your second time applying why you applied so late. anyway you might have a chance but with the late application and the low gpa it might be difficult. my advice would be even if you dont get in this cycle apply the first week you can next cycle and then I think you will get in. Also if you have the money to do so you might want to apply to more schools next time if you can. Good Luck!

kind of curious if this is your second time applying why you applied so late. anyway you might have a chance but with the late application and the low gpa it might be difficult. my advice would be even if you dont get in this cycle apply the first week you can next cycle and then I think you will get in. Also if you have the money to do so you might want to apply to more schools next time if you can. Good Luck!

I am sorry but how can you expect me to take anyone with the name 'dentistfart' 1/2way seriously...no, 1/16th way.:cool: Idiotic to disparage* the profession in this way.

*specifically associate the title dentist with a bodily function typically considered crude, rude etc.

I applied late mainly because I did my DAT retake late and wanted to see the score before applying. It also took a while to get LORs together and everything. I submitted my application in early October but it took a while to get mailed.

I think if there is a next cycle for you, you should aim lower and replace penn/columbia with lower stat schools. But most likely u will get into nyu so dont stress over it. Good luck