Getting recommendations....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppy16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see in PharmCas that I need up to 3 references. I really haven't talked to any of my professors. Here some questions i need answered:
How would I approach a professor for a recommendation?
Should I only go to the professors who I got a good grade from?
Also some of the professors I had have left the university, how can I get a recommendation from them?
What kind of professors should I ask? only science?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about PharmCas, but it should say whether you need LORs from science & math professors only. Also, definitely only ask professors whose class you earned a good grade- a B or an A.

You: Hey professor, can I get a recommendation? (handing $100 to professor)

Professor: For $100 you get an average recommendation, you'll have to give me $200 for a good one.

You: okay, here's another $100. (hand another $100 over)

What have you learned?

Ask the professor nicely and in simple English.
Bring $200 or be a better negotiator.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I see in PharmCas that I need up to 3 references. I really haven't talked to any of my professors. Here some questions i need answered:
Also some of the professors I had have left the university, how can I get a recommendation from them?

This is a good question and it has been answered on here a lots of times, a few times this week even. Use the search function and you will find answers to frequent questions quickly, it can get annoying when it is obvious someone did not take the time to look for the answer at all on their own...This is a common question for students applying to different healthcare profession programs, so you know there will be tons of info already posted.

Hm... I got 3 recommendations: 1 from a pharmacist, 1 from a science professor and 1 from a business professor from a business school in boston. I didn't have to bribe, beg, or hand them money or anything like that. I was just straightforward and pretty blunt about it, and they were more than happy to do it. But at the same time I made sure to visit them a lot during their office hours throughout the semester that I had them as a teacher and I was pretty active in their classes and made sure I was a competitive student and that they knew my name. I got close to the pharmacist cause I knew she'd be my target when I got around to asking for the favor.That's just more about politics, I guess, but I digress. Anyway, I just made sure they knew about me and who I was so that I didn't feel uncomfortable when I came around to asking them.

I guess that's not "professional" advice, but that's how I did it. Just be real with the whole thing, you know? They know what position you're in. From my experience, most professors definitely want to help students out (provided they think you're a good candidate).

I asked my ochem prof - simply because I not only did well in his class but also tutored and worked as an ochem TA for a couple years after that.

I also asked my research prof - because she knows me really well - and this was kind of like a hidden way of showing that I've been doing undergrad research for a while.

The last prof was my pchem prof - because I really enjoy pchem and thought it would be good to have a reference from a prof whose class is very relevant to pharm school curriculum.