Getting References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that I'm a college freshman, I'm finding that a lot of volunteer opportunities require references, and I have no particular professors or anyone else who I feel can stand as an excellent reference. This is partially my fault for being so shy in high school, but now I need to know how to fix this in college! Unfortunately my classes have 300+ students, so how can I get to know ANYONE well enough to serve as a reference?

Members don't see this ad.

Join volunteer groups on campus. Your school's website should have a student volunteer resource page. By just being a student, you will be able to join. Meet with the non-student leaders and let them know your situation. Tell them you want some volunteer experience and that you hope that they can serve as a reference for you for future volunteer activities outside of campus.

So now that I'm a college freshman, I'm finding that a lot of volunteer opportunities require references, and I have no particular professors or anyone else who I feel can stand as an excellent reference. This is partially my fault for being so shy in high school, but now I need to know how to fix this in college! Unfortunately my classes have 300+ students, so how can I get to know ANYONE well enough to serve as a reference?

As far as getting to know your professors in large classes, meet them after class the first day and introduce yourself. Attend all their office hours, and be active. Ask questions even if you already know the answer so they get used to seeing you and will remember your name/face. Study hard and do well in the course. Say hi in lecture and talk to them there as well if you can find questions about that day's lecture, etc. Mention that you are pre-med/want to get involved with vounteering and talk about your problem with getting references. Then ask if they would feel comfortable being one of your references. Also a good way to get recommendation letters to include with your med school application. You can never get those too early :). Either way you have to get over your shyness, I had the same problem when I was a freshman but it will hinder you with getting recs and networking with doctors if you can't overcome it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
since your a freshman, i assume u just started school. maybe u can try using some of highschool references for now

You may also be able to use neighbors/parents friends as references. I did that until my 3rd job/2nd volunteer experience (since most places want 3), everyone has to start somewhere and if they are used to placing young people they'll understand.

I find its really hard to get references from large class professors. What do you guys normally do? Going to office hours makes sense, but if your not having trouble witht he information, what do you do?

Use personal references. As kami said, parents of friends can be a great place to start, especially if you've known them for a while.

RomanCandle: You'd probably be surprised how willing professors are to serve as references. Will they necessarily be a great reference? No. But they'll get the job done. I asked for a LOR from a professor of a 200 person biology class that didn't even know my name when I went to talk to him about the letter. ...I still managed to get accepted to what I was applying for. They understand it's part of the job and will usually serve you well.

1) sit in the first row of class so the teacher can see you.
2) visit him/her in office hours to ask questions. even ask questions after class..

thats just my 3.1416 cents :D

If its just for a job or a volunteering experience then just use some of your good friends who can say "I've known so and so for 5 years hes a hard worker, we were both in ____ together"

Most of these places just want to make sure your who you say your are and not an axe murderer.