Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Getting Sick

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sundown, Jul 16, 2002.

1. sundown

sundown Member

i'm curious, has anyone had a major sickness that turned them onto medicine... if so, how did the effects of it all play out during the admission process?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doctorivy

doctorivy Junior Member

Yeah - when I was 7 I broke my neck, and that is when I decided to be a doctor (I'm not paralyzed or anything). When I was 11 I was hospitalized for several weeks with an undiagnosed viral infection. I had some great doctors in both cases that I distinctly remember. I used a large portion of my AMCAS essay to talk about these doctors and the inspiration they gave me to be a doc. However, I don't remember being asked much about it during interviews. So I'm not sure what Adcoms thought about it. It must not have been too bad, because I got multiple acceptances. If it played a major role in your decision to be a doctor you should share it because it shows genuine interest and experience. Good luck!!

4. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

I agree with the above post.

I'm a childhood cancer survivor, and much (if not most) of my motivation comes out of that experience. I wrote about it in my PS.

Milk it for all it's worth, I say. ;)

5. jot

jot

i was severely pissed with the med field earlier this year - 2 seperate docs told me i had late stage multiple hodgkinson's lymphoma - before doing any blood tests or biopsy (chest xray and symptomology and bumpythings i guess). i had to wait almost 1 month to get the the biopsy done (while thinking i had cancer) and another week to get the results. hah - i was thinking i wouldn't have to study for the mcat, but perhaps the first time anybody has said so - i'm glad i was able to and all was good. the end. or the beginning. whichever.

6. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

They told you THAT before a biopsy????

I'd get some new doctors.

Everything is ok?

7. jot

jot

zoobaby-
    yeah imagine that - my mother was a wreck (father wasn't too pleased as well). completely irresponsible, i dunno how they pulled that off (hah - though according to webmd i had myself marginally convinced as well) - but i have new docs. in the end they said that i had "reactive hyperplasia's" which is doctorspeak for its-one-of-30-possible-thing-but- i-dunno-but-at-least-its-not-cancer, which was good enough for me. still annoying though - but again, all is well.

8. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

Well I'm glad to hear it.

I had Hodgkin's, but I felt like somebody's prized science project by the time they gave me the final word. I can't even remember all the tests I was privleged to be a part of.

Ahh the memories. :)

Seriously, what kind of medical school doesn't say to the new kids on day 1 "Ok guys, good rule of thumb: Don't tell someone they have cancer until you're pretty sure about it."

Amazing.

9. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member

Jot, I'm really glad to hear that everything turned out okay. What a lot of unneeded stress!

Writing about personal medical experiences is a very common theme for essays. It can be effective, but it needs to be very personal and reveal something more about your personality. Dig a little deeper and try to figure out exactly what interested you -- what parts of your own personality identified with the medical personnel you saw, for instance. Otherwise it's going to be like so many other essays with the same theme.

I have to say that I've never seen anyone write about a horrible medical experience (like Jot's, for instance), but if done right I bet it could really stand out! Maybe how a malpractice suit inspired your career ambitions?:eek:

10. jot

jot

i'm sure that will be a winner.

"i want to be a doctor to dilute out the stupid ones ..."

nah i'll stick with the "i want to be a doctor to help people." probably be better off.

:laugh:
    -jot