getting thru residency with minimal caffine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedman888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible? anyone done it? 1 cup of coffee per wk.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

is it possible? anyone done it? 1 cup of coffee per wk.. :)

Good Lord, that's practically blasphemy. ;)

I have one cup a day, in the morning, but if I don't get it, I become evil. I may drink a diet coke later in the day if I'm wilting, but usually not. We shall see how I do with that plan in a few weeks. :rolleyes:

I know a lot of people drink Red Bull or other "energy drinks" and I personally think those are much worse than good old coffee. All kinds of stuff you can't pronounce in the ingredient list. Yikes.

Some say exercise helps. It certainly can't hurt.

You're asking the wrong person. ;)

I've cut down a lot in recent years. I usually drink less than four cups/day now. In residency, I pretty much drank coffee all...day...long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure its possible. I don't care for coffee and although I tried it (with LOTS of cream and sugar) during medical school, got through and entire residency and fellowship without any.

Of course, I'm :sleep: but I think that's more the work than lack of caffeine.

While I admit I am still in the "Wonder Years" (MS 1 & 2) (loved that show), I recently quit coffee and am amazed at how good I feel now. I sleep like a baby, and tend to have a much more even energy distribution throughout the day, as opposed to my coffee days when I would be about to pass out after lunch if I didn't have a cup.

Hope I can keep it up when I hit the clinical years.

But, unlike Kimberly, I LOOOOOOOOVE coffee!!!! There's nothing like a perfectly brewed, hot cup on the back porch when nothing else is going on. I do miss that....

The Irish have Guiness, the English have tea, and we Seattlites have the best coffee on the planet. :D

I miss the coffee shops the most, since I moved away.