Getting to Interviews with no Car/License etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...how do you make it to interviews exactly if you have no car. I do have a license, but I don't have a car...and when interview times roll around I will not be 21 (the required age to rent a car).

Anyone with similar circumstances...or no license at all? How did you make it to interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering...how do you make it to interviews exactly if you have no car. I do have a license, but I don't have a car...and when interview times roll around I will not be 21 (the required age to rent a car).

Anyone with similar circumstances...or no license at all? How did you make it to interviews?

gotta cab it, bus, subway, train. You can rent a car some places if ur under 25, they just hit u with more fees.

Look for hotels that have a shuttle that will take you to the med school you're visiting; the best such hotel is usually a student host ;) If that's impossible, then yeah, make use of the public transportation/cabs.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure if 21 is some special car renting age. I've heard of it being 25. I'm under 25 and I had to rent a car for one interview (the school advised me that it would probably be cheaper than a taxi). The rental company let me get a car, it just cost me more than it would have if I was 25 or older. You just have to plan ahead if you want to rent and contact the company beforehand to make sure they'll let you rent it

You have to be over 21 to rent at most national companies, but you'll be hit with pretty ridiculous fees until you're 25.

As for getting to interviews, you'll want to figure out the local public transportation, pay extra for cabs (split them with other interviewees back to the airport if you can), use a shuttle service, or take advantage of a student host/friend that's willing to help you out.

I don't have a car, and flew/took a train to my interviews. I loved staying with student hosts, because most of mine had cars and were more than willing to pick me up at a train station, etc. And I found that most of the time, the student host was going to campus anyway in the morning so it really wasn't that big of an imposition. Just take them a small gift to let them know you appreciate it. This was much less stressful for me than finding a cab, renting a car, finding a hotel, the med school, etc.

Thank you - the student host idea sounds great.