1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Getting to Interviews with no Car/License etc.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedicalSonata, Dec 11, 2008.

1. MedicalSonata

MedicalSonata Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just wondering...how do you make it to interviews exactly if you have no car. I do have a license, but I don't have a car...and when interview times roll around I will not be 21 (the required age to rent a car).

Anyone with similar circumstances...or no license at all? How did you make it to interviews?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

gotta cab it, bus, subway, train. You can rent a car some places if ur under 25, they just hit u with more fees.

4. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Look for hotels that have a shuttle that will take you to the med school you're visiting; the best such hotel is usually a student host ;) If that's impossible, then yeah, make use of the public transportation/cabs.

5. Sangria

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I'm not sure if 21 is some special car renting age. I've heard of it being 25. I'm under 25 and I had to rent a car for one interview (the school advised me that it would probably be cheaper than a taxi). The rental company let me get a car, it just cost me more than it would have if I was 25 or older. You just have to plan ahead if you want to rent and contact the company beforehand to make sure they'll let you rent it

6. Anatidae

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    You have to be over 21 to rent at most national companies, but you'll be hit with pretty ridiculous fees until you're 25.

As for getting to interviews, you'll want to figure out the local public transportation, pay extra for cabs (split them with other interviewees back to the airport if you can), use a shuttle service, or take advantage of a student host/friend that's willing to help you out.

7. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It shouldn't be a problem. Stay at a hotel that is fairly close and you can take a taxi, public transportation, or walk.

8. Vania

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't have a car, and flew/took a train to my interviews. I loved staying with student hosts, because most of mine had cars and were more than willing to pick me up at a train station, etc. And I found that most of the time, the student host was going to campus anyway in the morning so it really wasn't that big of an imposition. Just take them a small gift to let them know you appreciate it. This was much less stressful for me than finding a cab, renting a car, finding a hotel, the med school, etc.

9. MedicalSonata

MedicalSonata Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you - the student host idea sounds great.