Getting to test center late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I've heard that no matter what time you start your test, you get the full time (because it could take past 8 am to get you checked in).
If I show up right at 8, and there is a long line and I don't end up starting until like 9, that would be nice because it would give me time to wake up in the morning.
Has anyone tried something like this? Trying to maximize the amount of time I can sleep in the morning. I'd try and adjust my sleep schedule, but it's pretty difficult for me due to some personal circumstances. It'd be nice to sleep until like 7:20 (takes me 35 minutes to get to test center)

Or would I experience a lot of broken concentration as I see everyone getting up and finishing before me?

Also, I know that the guidelines say to arrive at least 30 minutes prior, but I'm just curious if anyone else has ever arrived close to 8 AM.

Members don't see this ad.

You know you can register for an afternoon MCAT right?

When I took the MCAT I probably got there only like 15 mins before the 1300 start time FWIW
I probably wouldnt roll those dice but you do you

I think you're asking for a lot of avoidable anxiety. Which sounds pretty counterproductive considering you posted a thread that is titled "Any tips on reducing high levels of anxiety?"

I don't know about you, but my brain doesn't work right when I wake up. It takes me at least 15-30 min to get going, and maybe an hour to do any legitimate critical thinking. So I'll be waking up at 6 to get up, shower, eat breakfast, void myself, get my brain going with something light like an easy level sudoku, and walk to the test center (2 blocks from my hotel).

What if there's a road blockage that day? An accident that forces you to take a detour? Your car doesn't start? You manage to hit all red lights? Get stuck behind a student driver who drives 10min below the speed limit? You wake up and realize you ate something bad for dinner? There are SO many things that could derail your tight schedule. You really want to give yourself a 5min window for error?

You can do you, sure. But should you?

Reactions: 1 user
You know you can register for an afternoon MCAT right?

When I took the MCAT I probably got there only like 15 mins before the 1300 start time FWIW
I probably wouldnt roll those dice but you do you
I thought they only offered the afternoon MCAT for the old exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're asking for a lot of avoidable anxiety. Which sounds pretty counterproductive considering you posted a thread that is titled "Any tips on reducing high levels of anxiety?"

I don't know about you, but my brain doesn't work right when I wake up. It takes me at least 15-30 min to get going, and maybe an hour to do any legitimate critical thinking. So I'll be waking up at 6 to get up, shower, eat breakfast, void myself, get my brain going with something light like an easy level sudoku, and walk to the test center (2 blocks from my hotel).

What if there's a road blockage that day? An accident that forces you to take a detour? Your car doesn't start? You manage to hit all red lights? Get stuck behind a student driver who drives 10min below the speed limit? You wake up and realize you ate something bad for dinner? There are SO many things that could derail your tight schedule. You really want to give yourself a 5min window for error?

You can do you, sure. But should you?
Yeah, I agree. I'm just worried about being sleep deprived

You could just be an adult and go to bed earlier if you can't handle slightly less sleep for one night

Reactions: 4 users
"I'd try and adjust my sleep schedule, but it's pretty difficult for me due to some personal circumstances"
If you can't shift sleep by an hour you will never complete med school. I know you think I'm being crazy here but that's how this works, if you need to be somewhere you just get up earlier

Reactions: 3 users
If you can't shift sleep by an hour you will never complete med school. I know you think I'm being crazy here but that's how this works, if you need to be somewhere you just get up earlier

I plan on getting this worked out before I go to med school. I will try and shift my sleep pattern before the mcat too. Apparently, fasting before going to sleep may help me

You could just be an adult and go to bed earlier if you can't handle slightly less sleep for one night

That's such a Ron Swanson answer. Love it.

But I agree with sb247. Med school will require sacrifice and effort, not shortcuts. Try your best to adjust your sleep schedule. I did it in less than a week. Set up my alarm for 6am across the room at max volume with the most obnoxious ringer. Turn all your electronics off by 8 to reduce exposure to blue light, get ready for bed by 9, get in bed with the lights off by 9:30, close your eyes and focus on your breathing.

When the alarm goes off, roll out of bed, kill the alarm, and just jump straight into a cold shower. Wakes me up every time.

If you're having trouble going to sleep by ten, the next day exhaust yourself physically by exercising at 5 or 6pm before dinner. Then have a massive dinner because you're starving from exercise and eventually food coma.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I mean you don't want to risk missing the 8am deadline and having to reschedule. Stay up all night if you have to.
I hope I won't end up staying up all night before my exam. I'm going to try the advice listed above with the cold shower and forced awakening for the next week.

FYI, some centers require you to be there at 7 AM to get checked in so you can start promptly at 8. My center last year called me the day before to remind me that I had to be there at 7, no later than 7:30...

I started at 7:30 and was out by 2:15... beach-o-rama... hope to repeat this year (only score the damn thing this time!)