Getting too hopeful...Anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So tell me if any of you an relate to this. Right after I took the MCAT this August I felt like I just bombed the thing, at least the PS. Before I took it I was getting 31s on my practice tests and thought I'd be so psyched if I could just get that on the real thing. But now after it's so far past, does anyone start to think maybe they did really good, and maybe just maybe they got one point higher on each section than they ever did in practice, etc? That would put me personally at a 36 which I know is impossible and just won't happen, but it doesn't stop me from having 36 daydreams. :) So lame I know! Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not good at guessing, prolly so. I'm only praying for the VR, not that I am arrogant about the rest . I failed the VR in April, in August I still can't tell. I didn't even prepare for it all. I just spent 1.5 wks reviewing my sciences again, no PTs either. it was only after the august test I knew how to take the VR --taking time to actually read. well, i may have to retake it but I have found my problem.

After I took the test I felt like I scored about 8 points lower than my practice test scores, now I feel like about 2 or 3 points lower. So I guess my expectations have gone up some.

after i took the MCAT, i was convinced i failed it (people use that term, but what the heck is failing, if it even exists?), especially the PS since it was first.

now i'm trying to forget the whole thing and am i denial tha ti even took it

i think time numbs the pain, the horrors of it and even made me think maybe i didn't do as bad as i originally thought, but when reality sets in, i realize it's just hopeful thinking

the thing is as i did more practice tests and did better on them, i got greedier and knew i wouldn't settle for scores i originally thought were ok.

maybe i won't even look until i either get accepted or rejected from my schools b/c for now it doesn't even matter

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought the physics section was really easy, and the VR section is a blur to me now. Both of these things are starting to scare me. I'm thinking I just didnt know what I was doing at all for either section.

Ha, I thought that I probably did a few points lower on the real deal, but yes, after all this time I feel I may actually beat my higher score. If I could get my max score at every section as I did on practice I'd have a 35, and I have had 4 dreams about getting a 34 lol. This drives you crazy, only 27 more days to go till we have our score!!!

I'm still thinking I got a 7 or less on PS (it was horrible)... and higher than a 10 on the other two. I hope I get a good writing score... I think I performed well on that.

Psycho, I wish I could be like you and decide not to even look... but I know I won't be able to resist!

Ugh... good luck everyone... just under 4 weeks now.

bella_dottoressa said:
So tell me if any of you an relate to this. Right after I took the MCAT this August I felt like I just bombed the thing, at least the PS. Before I took it I was getting 31s on my practice tests and thought I'd be so psyched if I could just get that on the real thing. But now after it's so far past, does anyone start to think maybe they did really good, and maybe just maybe they got one point higher on each section than they ever did in practice, etc? That would put me personally at a 36 which I know is impossible and just won't happen, but it doesn't stop me from having 36 daydreams. :) So lame I know! Anyone else?

Yes, I did exactly what you're doing.

While I was practicing I thought I wanted to get at least a 32, to match what I'd gotten before. I thought if I got a 35 it would be so awesome I couldn't stand it. Then I took the test and thought I'd gotten anywhere from a 27-35. Then I started hoping, maybe I kept my upward trend from my practice tests. What if I got a 38-40? Then I got my score and it was just about exactly like my last practice test :laugh:

I was amazingly happy, but I'd gone from worrying about a 27 to hoping for about 38. That's a huge range to worry about :laugh:

Ill admit, after August 14th, I was a very lost and depressed soul. I felt like if I got a 21, I would be very, very lucky. Now that a little time has passed and after reading the Kaplan online survey results showing that most of the country felt the same way I did about the test (i.e. difficulties with same sections, etc.), I do feel a bit more confident. With me, it has always been "expect the worst, and I may be pleasantly surprised."

P.S. Thank the good Lord for test curves!!!

dpoke1 said:
well we wont have to wait that much longer. Our grades should be available online the week of Oct 3 :eek:

Where do you get that date? Didn't you take the test mid August?

eldoctoraz said:
...after reading the Kaplan online survey results showing that most of the country felt the same way I did about the test..."
eldoctoraz, where can I read the kaplan online survey? Can you post a link. Also, does it talk about specific forms?

MoosePilot said:
Where do you get that date? Didn't you take the test mid August?
I called today because there was a mistake in the spelling in my first name ( the mistake is still there) and I asked the lady when will the test be available and she said online about 50-55 days. So that would make it around Oct.3.

dpoke1 said:
I called today because there was a mistake in the spelling in my first name ( the mistake is still there) and I asked the lady when will the test be available and she said online about 50-55 days. So that would make it around Oct.3.

We learned not to trust the folks on the phone. They usually post 60 days and it never shows early. Trust that and don't spread rumors that will freak people out looking constantly for a week.

Yes, I am old and my heart can not take it. Do not post dates on early MCAT releases.

I dreamed I made a SIX on the entire test!

I almost cried even though it was just a dream....or should I say nightmare :eek:

I dreamt that I got a 47R on the MCAT. I was so happy until I realized that 47 was impossible, let alone even a 45. Although I was happy momentarily, it was nightmarish since I figured out in my dream that I was just dreaming....

I actually felt okay about the test right afterwards, but as time has passed I feel increasingly worried when I allow myself to really think about it (which I try not to do). I am a retaker and am applying this year, I have already put so much $ and time into applications, I don't know how I'll cope with it if I don't improve. I feel so scared when I think it could have even gone down--I didn't feel like that after the test, but what if? I will be satisfied as long as my BS and VR scores at least don't go down and if I go up 2 points in PS. Anything above that, and I'll be ecstatic.