Getting worried about Invites:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrittanieY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance or some reality but I'm getting very depressed about residency. My stats:

DO student at solid program
Step 1and 2: 2-teens (passed first attempts)
Comlex 1 and 2: low 500s (passed first attempts)
Comlex PE: passed on first attempt

I applied to 110 programs because I know my board scores are on terrible side. I've gotten 3 interviews and 2 rejections (both just this morning). Looking at the interview list, well over half of the programs have extended interviews.

So, I guess my question is: am I right to be scared or am I being a typical over-anxious med student?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel the same way...I'm coming from a low-tier US MD school with fairly good step scores (240s-250s) and applied to over 50 programs (granted, probably a little top-heavy) with only a handful of interview invites so far. Only red flag to my knowledge on my application would be mediocre clinical grades (due to shelf exams, clinical comments were all great) with mostly high passes including OB. Getting freaked seeing all these invites go out without much crossing my inbox!

I keep hearing not to worry until mid-October, but don't know how much truth there is to that as it looks like for many schools, interviews were only offered on 1-2 dates according to SDN last year. I'm just trying to hold out hope and not drive myself crazy...but know you are not alone!

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance or some reality but I'm getting very depressed about residency. My stats:

DO student at solid program
Step 1and 2: 2-teens (passed first attempts)
Comlex 1 and 2: low 500s (passed first attempts)
Comlex PE: passed on first attempt

I applied to 110 programs because I know my board scores are on terrible side. I've gotten 3 interviews and 2 rejections (both just this morning). Looking at the interview list, well over half of the programs have extended interviews.

So, I guess my question is: am I right to be scared or am I being a typical over-anxious med student?

I have way worse scores than you and I'm in the same boat.
I've gotten interviews at the places I auditioned at, so I guess that's my next question - did you do auditions? How many? Are you getting interviews from them?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have way worse scores than you and I'm in the same boat.
I've gotten interviews at the places I auditioned at, so I guess that's my next question - did you do auditions? How many? Are you getting interviews from them?

Good luck!
Thanks! I did a few (and one starts in 2 weeks) but I haven't heard from them yet. I'm at 4 acgme interviews but my personal favorites are giving me radio silence :(.

hi,
as someone who stresses out a lot, I would be cautious about taking everything that is posted here as biblical truth. I am aware of some interview dates/rejections that haven't been posted and am also aware of programs that have not even looked at applicants but somehow, someone wrote that they have an interview.
This is a very public forum, and we should take information with a grain of salt. It seems from talking to my classmates who are co-applying, we are all in the same boat: 0-2 interviews, nothing particularly active or exciting.

Reactions: 4 users
hi,
as someone who stresses out a lot, I would be cautious about taking everything that is posted here as biblical truth. I am aware of some interview dates/rejections that haven't been posted and am also aware of programs that have not even looked at applicants but somehow, someone wrote that they have an interview.
This is a very public forum, and we should take information with a grain of salt. It seems from talking to my classmates who are co-applying, we are all in the same boat: 0-2 interviews, nothing particularly active or exciting.
Thank you SO MUCH! I really needed to hear (read?) that.

Reactions: 2 users
hi,

Talking to some normal girls I'm auditioning with today and they said they've only gotten 1-2 so far and haven't heard anything else

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to comment that I am in a similar position as well. Im coming from a U.S. MD school (low tier), step 1 in the 220s , step 2 score pending, mix of HPs and P for third year, overall good application but I've only received two invites. does anyone know how long programs continure to send invites for?

This is amazing, honestly. I know we're all stressed out and it looks like we're the only ones struggling but turns out we're actually normal! Neurotic, but normal ;).

Someone posted this in a similar thread in the peds section and it made me feel at least a little better:

This is from the Program Director's survey just released 2 weeks ago. http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

upload_2016-10-4_23-28-35-png.209597

It's still early!

do the interviews go out in waves? I checked last year's thread on the invitations and saw that some programs had only one date listed.

Do programs extend invitations only on that date, or will there be more?

do the interviews go out in waves? I checked last year's thread on the invitations and saw that some programs had only one date listed.

Do programs extend invitations only on that date, or will there be more?

Yeah I'm worried about the same thing! Everyone is telling me to stay off the threads but I can't help it!

Yeah I'm worried about the same thing! Everyone is telling me to stay off the threads but I can't help it!

I know! It's so demoralizing but here I am all the time! Someone needs to take away my internet ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK folks. I'm starting to lose it. Like "go cry in the bathroom and claim allergies" lose it. I have 5 interviews and a waitlist.

Is that OK? Should I start to freak out more?! I have NO idea what is normal. All I know is it seems every program has given interviews out.

I'm with you girls. OBGYN has become so competitive. Arg!!!
Freak out mode -- initiated.

OK folks. I'm starting to lose it. Like "go cry in the bathroom and claim allergies" lose it. I have 5 interviews and a waitlist.

Is that OK? Should I start to freak out more?! I have NO idea what is normal. All I know is it seems every program has given interviews out.

same. except i only have 4 interviews. :S

Same here! 6 invites + 2 courtesy invites from my aways. I was told that I will need like at least 15 programs to safely match?! not even close :/

I hate to say this but it has been a month since ERAS opened and two weeks since the Deans letters went out. After looking at the Interview thread, it looks like most programs have already sent out their invitations. Some of the bigger academic programs who are usually the last ones to send them out have sent out their invites already. It has been an exceptionally competitive year, the strongest group of applicants that I have ever seen in the over 15 years I have been in this job. Some programs may be holding on to some more invites once they start getting cancellations, so don't give up yet.

I hate to say this but it has been a month since ERAS opened and two weeks since the Deans letters went out. After looking at the Interview thread, it looks like most programs have already sent out their invitations. Some of the bigger academic programs who are usually the last ones to send them out have sent out their invites already. It has been an exceptionally competitive year, the strongest group of applicants that I have ever seen in the over 15 years I have been in this job. Some programs may be holding on to some more invites once they start getting cancellations, so don't give up yet.

I've been looking mainly towards small community programs in the South which I'm guessing has given the bulk of their interviews out. I guess you can go into the Match with 5 interviews but those are low odds. I've emailed the ones that are my top priorities. Is there anything I can do now?

The whole "quitting my job and moving my family to a new state so I can go to med school to become an OB" plan is not really going well :(.

I've been looking mainly towards small community programs in the South which I'm guessing has given the bulk of their interviews out. I guess you can go into the Match with 5 interviews but those are low odds. I've emailed the ones that are my top priorities. Is there anything I can do now?

The whole "quitting my job and moving my family to a new state so I can go to med school to become an OB" plan is not really going well :(.

Maybe you should not have limited yourself to a specific geographical location.

Very sad. I only have 5 invites as well and 2 waitlist. My board scores are competitive, but I'm US IMG. Lots of extracurriculars, research. I expected at least 15 after talking to friends from last year. Didn't expect such a poor outcome. Any advice? Should I be emailing/calling to express interest?

This is concerning. I too have applied to over 100 programs with little response. I am a pretty average applicant 220s on Step 1 / 240s on Step 2, large state medical school. Crossing my fingers for more interviews!

So what are people thinking regarding waves of interviews? Is it happening? Not happening? Everything seemed to happen so early this year, haven't heard any positive news in weeks. Friends keep reassuring me that more invites will come and it was just the first wave, but seeing all of these places already filling up their waitlists makes me lose hope...