Gfunk6 is a Top Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very pleased to inform everyone that I just got the following email:
Good afternoon, Dr. Gfunk6

My name is Sue and I'm from Castle Connolly Top Doctors. I just called and left a congratulations message, but I wanted to follow up with an email as well.

Recently we announced our 2023 Castle Connolly Top Doctors, and I wanted to reach out and personally congratulate you on this achievement. That puts you in the top 7% of practicing physicians in the US! We know how important the Castle Connolly Top Doctors recognition is. So, I'm here to help you maximize the value that comes with the distinction. If you are interested in learning more on how to promote your Top Doctor presence and drive consumer traffic & appointments, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you and congrats again!

Sue

I'm so excited and am planning to celebrate this achievement by purchasing a very nice oak plaque so that my patients and referring physicians know. The next time a patient of mine is considering treatment in an "academic center," I plan to tell them, " . . . well Dr. [so-and-so] is pretty good but is he a Castle Connolly Top Doctor?"

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Lol, that’s who does the Seattle one. They swear it isn’t the doc paying for it. But it’s just popularity. So people like you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who actually pays for this and promotes it in his website…not kidding

Feels like it belongs here

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who actually pays for this and promotes it in his website…not kidding
yes i have seen one of these. and then the fine print says something like "this is a paid advertisement by xyz"

Feels like it belongs here
Other things belong as well

and so on

Other things belong as well

and so on
how sometimes old NY times articles are crazy.
imagine googling your doctor and seeing this story.

Good old Gil would SBRT a malignant pleural effusion

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If my father was a pariah in any field in medicine, I would not choose to train in that same specialty and then join him. Though maybe the guitar had a magic curse.

Lol, that’s who does the Seattle one. They swear it isn’t the doc paying for it. But it’s just popularity. So people like you!

It is by peer nomination, that is real. It is unbelievable. The way highly educated adults lobby for this thing and also doximity ratings is one of the weirdest things in the weird world of medicine.

Campaigning for doximity rad onc residency ratings in 2023...

Good old Gil would SBRT a malignant pleural effusion
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's not forget that this thread is about acknowledging Gfunk for his achievement.
I’m sure he’s excited to share this space with Gil.

GF - when magazine comes out in print, the phone calls will start. Some regions are really into this. I think you’re busy enough, but may get busier!!

I really don't mean to brag, but I got a follow-up email today

Hi Dr. Gfunk6,

I hope this message finds you well. Congratulations on your recent achievement! As your account manager at Castle Connolly Top Doctors, I want to share the options you have as a Top Doctor and go over our Visibility Packages. As a Top Doctor, we help increase your online visibility, stand out across our channels, and help drive new patients to your practice! Would you happen to have 30 minutes for a call today or tomorrow?

Thank you,

Han

Naturally, I was extremely eager to increase my visibility in the community so I proactively looked at what I could do

A personalized plaque for a paltry sum of $550!!!*

*Tax included

For 300 buckaroos more they'll send you a gif file. In one business day how's that for service.

If I saw this in my doctors office I would know I'm dealing with a narcissistic sociopath with poor financial skills and computer experience. 20 years ago they had at least a digital certificate lol that linked back. Now we have secure rsa certificates but you.. Nah you get a gif.

---
A digital logo that gives you the right to display the 2023 Castle Connolly Top Doctors award badge on one website, and/or any social platform (such as LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) along with the use of the logo in email signatures dedicated to promoting the recognized doctor.

This package also includes a free, personalized, black wood plaque- value of $550.00.

After purchase, the digital logo file will be delivered in one business day.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
For 300 buckaroos more they'll send you a gif file. In one business day how's that for service.

If I saw this in my doctors office I would know I'm dealing with a narcissistic sociopath with poor financial skills and computer experience. 20 years ago they had at least a digital certificate lol that linked back. Now we have secure rsa certificates but you.. Nah you get a gif.

---
A digital logo that gives you the right to display the 2023 Castle Connolly Top Doctors award badge on one website, and/or any social platform (such as LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) along with the use of the logo in email signatures dedicated to promoting the recognized doctor.

This package also includes a free, personalized, black wood plaque- value of $550.00.

After purchase, the digital logo file will be delivered in one business day.

Your posts never disappoint

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Hi Dr. Gfunk6,

As a Castle Connolly Top Doctor, I wanted to bring to your attention a unique opportunity to showcase your skills and enhance your reputation in the medical community. We've secured a limited spot in The New York Times, with a readership of 800,000+ consumers nationwide, in which you can promote your recognition and educate readers on your expertise.

Only 9 spots are available, so act fast to take advantage of this exclusive opportunity. The ad includes your headshot, name, address, specialty, phone number, special expertise, telemedicine services, hospital affiliation, and your logo (subject to modification for optimal visibility within ad space).

If you're interested, please let me know, and I can provide you with more details on how to participate.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards,
--
Han Kang
Manager, Physician Partnerships
Cell: 614.506.6236 Email: [email protected]

I can advertise my awesomeness in the New York Times - just like MSKCC!!

Genuinely asking - is Castle Connelly legit? One of the newer docs at a satellite clinic (he’s in his early 60s but new to our group) has about 10 or so of their plaques lining the hallways near the treatment machines. I never know whether those at real or not and thought I heard that particular group was a sham. My town has 2 of these Top Docs/Best Docs thingies and I tend to make one list but not the other which is strange to me. Aren’t the same people voting for both? This year I made both which is nice, I guess, but I see some amazing docs who make these lists and some really not-so-great docs who do make these lists, so hard to know what it all means.

Genuinely asking - is Castle Connelly legit? One of the newer docs at a satellite clinic (he’s in his early 60s but new to our group) has about 10 or so of their plaques lining the hallways near the treatment machines. I never know whether those at real or not and thought I heard that particular group was a sham. My town has 2 of these Top Docs/Best Docs thingies and I tend to make one list but not the other which is strange to me. Aren’t the same people voting for both? This year I made both which is nice, I guess, but I see some amazing docs who make these lists and some really not-so-great docs who do make these lists, so hard to know what it all means.
there are doctors that make these lists that do not treat patients. like as in are 100% in lab.
i lost all faith in them when i saw that.

I got named a castle top doc in Seattle. No lab for me, didn’t pay a thing and it has nothing to do with aptitude or skill.

It’s pure popularity and name recognition and at the end of the day, something you show your mom and dad

Genuinely asking - is Castle Connelly legit?
That depends on how you define "legit".

Is Castle Connelly a real organization? Yes.
Do they assign real doctors the title "Top Doctor"? Yes.
Does every doctor get this title? No.

So sure, it's "legit" in that sense.

Except...anyone can start a business. It's very easy to incorporate or form an LLC. Unlike board certification, or colleges, or whatever, there's no "accreditation body" which determines who does or does not get to bestow titles. There's no standardized metrics for a "top" doctor.

Is it legit? Is it a sham? The answer is "meh". I'll tell you what though...

...putting the plaques on the hallway where your patients can see is definitely what I would do, because impressing patients is exclusively what this is good for.

Reactions: 3 users
That depends on how you define "legit".

Is Castle Connelly a real organization? Yes.
Do they assign real doctors the title "Top Doctor"? Yes.
Does every doctor get this title? No.

So sure, it's "legit" in that sense.

Except...anyone can start a business. It's very easy to incorporate or form an LLC. Unlike board certification, or colleges, or whatever, there's no "accreditation body" which determines who does or does not get to bestow titles. There's no standardized metrics for a "top" doctor.

Is it legit? Is it a sham? The answer is "meh". I'll tell you what though...

...putting the plaques on the hallway where your patients can see is definitely what I would do, because impressing patients is exclusively what this is good for.
Yep, patients love this crap and the companies know which is why they can make money.

Reactions: 2 users
I got named a castle top doc in Seattle. No lab for me, didn’t pay a thing and it has nothing to do with aptitude or skill.

It’s pure popularity and name recognition and at the end of the day, something you show your mom and dad

Congrats! I was a rising star but fizzled out and became a misanthrope instead :cryi: