GI 08 fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gastro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start a new thread here. I am applying to 30+ programs nation-wide from a west coast academic program. No word about either interview or rejection so far. A few programs even have not downloaded my files yet: UChicago, Indianna, WashU, North Carolina. Hope things are going well on your side. Please keep us posted and keep the GI board alive. Good luck in the New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied to around 35 programs as well. I have no news yet either. I am in a mid-west program. Now, my applications at the UChic, Indiana havent been downloaded as well, Personally, I am getting pretty impatient! I suppose we have to wait until the new year's in! Good luck!

Hi guys!
I'm currently applying from an east coast academic program. Applied to about 40 programs. Just got one call so far from Yale. Let's keep each other up to date on the programs sending out interviews.
Take care and have a happy new year.

Members don't see this ad :)
17 East coast/Midwest programs. Recently received a request from Johns Hopkins for essentially a recapitulation of my ERAS application in the form of a secondary application, with a request for a 4th letter of rec. Likely not going to submit this.

Applied to 40+ programs in east coast. Haven't got any interviews. Got an acknowledgement from Univ Of Minnesotta they are still processing applications and that they will let me know by mid January about their decision on my application.

Hi all,
I am applying for GI fellowship 2008 from NYC,applied to 50 programs all over the country.No replies so far,how is it for everyone...Iam really getting nervous.

Happy New Year to all.

The impatience is growing. Did any one get interviews scheduled?

No more interviews so far. Just that one that I got. Right now I'm only encouraged by the fact that I haven't had any rejections either. One of my seniors who applied for cardiology last year, told me they didn't start to get calls till the end of January. So let's see.

I got a response from Univ Of Miami, FL. They said they are not participating in Match for 2008. If they are not participating in match why is it that they are listed in NRMP? Can they opt out of match any time?

Happy new year to all, I'm applying like the rest of you to 30+ programs from an northeast program.. Got the same letter from University of Miami saying they filled their positions and not going through match..
Any interviews/rejections from other places?

Hi IMED4Life
Congratulations on getting the interview and wish you all the best. Just out of curiosity, did you have any prior research experience?

Hi IMED4Life
Congratulations on getting the interview and wish you all the best. Just out of curiosity, did you have any prior research experience?

Thanks! To answer your question, yes. I have done basic science research during medical school as well as current clinical research during residency. I have known early on in my career that I wanted to pursue an academic career in medicine, thus the early interest in research.

Members don't see this ad :)
invitation from case western via email today. they are still deciding the exact interview days. requests for additional documents from Hopkins and UWashington a few weeks back, and that's it.

Hi everyone,
Just joined the group, coming from an east coast academic program applying to 30 programs across the country. So far have an interview at Yale and another at NYU. Getting anxious like everyone else! Still no downloads from a few programs. What's up with that? Well good luck to all!

Hello everyone;

I am also applying for GI fellowship this year; coming from a midwest program; so far have received interviews @ UCSD and Case Western....Good luck to everyone....:cool:

Hi everyone,
Just joined the group, coming from an east coast academic program applying to 30 programs across the country. So far have an interview at Yale and another at NYU. Getting anxious like everyone else! Still no downloads from a few programs. What's up with that? Well good luck to all!

Hey there!
I got an interview from Yale too. When are you planning on interviewing there?

I have only one interview so far. Have had 2 rejections from Aurora WI n Albany. U of Minnesota said they are still reviewing applications. Will let us know by end of Jan. Mostly looking into Midwest programs. Any other news folks? What knid of prep will these interviews need?? Anyone interested in brainstorming???

Hi,
Still haven't got any interviews. Only rejection was from Case Western. But I have a curious question. Some of the programs that I have applied to are not participating in match. But they are still downloading my files from ERAS. Is that normal or a mistake. Is that a good idea to contact them of any updates?

Just thinking about +/- of big vs small programs.

small/community program:

advantage:
no signif emphasis on research
in 3 years will be able to do ercp
disadventage:
prestige
call schedule sucs

large/academic programs:

adventage:
prestige
research if you are interested
usually nice call schedule

disadventage
have to reapply for advanced endospot for the 4th year
have to do research (for those who don't care about research)

Have you guys thought about programs from that standpoint. Any advice on good small programs with advanced endo in 3 years, and relatively good call schedule

coming from west coast program. strong research back round. APPLIED TO 33 PROGRAMS. No interviews. 1 rejection from G-TOWN TODAY. I am hopeless

I got my rejection from Georgetown too today. No need to fret... life goes on. We can't feel down...It's still early... think about it, most of us on this still haven't heard from a great many programs. It's a sign that directors are still deciding on who to interview and/or they might not be familiar with the ERAS. UNC told me recently they are having difficulty downloading applications since it's a new process for them. Let's just be patient guys.... they will come! cheers!:)

Thanks a lot for ur support. lets hope that everybody will get in. anybody knows when people started getting interviews last year?

Per one of the residents in my program who interviewed last year, interviews were given out starting in December. However, he qualifies that programs were not participating with ERAS.

I am also applying and have received some rejections and no interviews. I have been rejected from Case Western, UC Irvine, UCINN, Miami, Georgetown. I have applied to 60 programs, because I am an average candidate, only one research project, no publications, no connections, no amazing awards or scores. No additional degrees in Masters or PHD. Unsure about my chances.

My question is there a magic number to look for, how many places to appy to get an interview, how many interviews suggest recieving a spot?

Good Luck.

Glad to hear about UNC.....couldn't figure out why my app. hadn't at least been downloaded. So far I've heard from Vandy, Case, and Wake. Still have 7 or 8 to go. Good luck everyone!

Hi,
When did you get an invite from Wake. I called them and they said they were sending invites next week.

Invites:
Michigan
Northwestern
Cleveland Clinic

Hi, just joined the forum, I am applying from a program in the South. Have applied to almost 50 programs. So far got rejections from Casewestern, Georgetown, Univ of Missouri-Kansas. It seems not a lot of calls around yet. Maybe things will pick up for everyone towards the end of the month.

Hi, just joined the forum, I am applying from a program in the South. Have applied to almost 50 programs. So far got rejections from Casewestern, Georgetown, Univ of Missouri-Kansas. It seems not a lot of calls around yet. Maybe things will pick up for everyone towards the end of the month.

Same rejections here.. :( .. I hope this gets better towards the end of the month as you say...

I've received the following interviews:

Johns Hopkins
Westchester
Vanderbilt
Brigham and Women's
University of Maryland
NYU
Yale
Albany Med
Brown
Univ of Rochester
Boston Univ
New England Med Center (Tufts)
Univ of Michigan

I applied to about 50 programs, mostly to clinical investigator tracks if offered. I've received one rejection so far: Univ of Miami.

good luck everyone

Good for you.
Applied to tons of programs,interviewed at UC Irwine,but not accepted.

Rejected by Case Western,Univ of Miami,Georgetown Univ.

Did not hear from anyone else,though I know U Conn has selected its candidates.

Are programs still accepting applications or is too late?

Just one interview at Yale so far, rejections from George Town and Rush. All of a sudden I feel pressured to apply to more programs, is it too late?

I have to admit that I was not expecting it will be that bad. 2 Rejections so far from G-Town and Rush. Althought they say research is very important, some programs (even academic might not be that interested). I called many programs and they said that they have more than 300 and they will start sending interviews soon!!! I am just wondring how do they do screeing

Good for you.
Applied to tons of programs,interviewed at UC Irwine,but not accepted.

Rejected by Case Western,Univ of Miami,Georgetown Univ.

Did not hear from anyone else,though I know U Conn has selected its candidates.

Are programs still accepting applications or is too late?

How did you know you were not accepted at UCI after interviewing? Are they outside the match?

I haven't heard from anywhere regarding interviews still waiting.
For those of you with multiple interviews, I know this is a personal question
but have you guys published multiple articles, or have additional degrees, or are you chiefs of your program or pgy-III applicants. I have good letters but there are not from anyone well known, and I started a research project but it is not getting anywhere, any suggestions on what to do to improve my application for next year since things are not going well.

Looking for any help.
I will like to stay in academics because of the immense path. but I did not apply to basic science tracks because I want to go to do a year in motility after three years of gi fellowship not in a lab.

Yes they went outside the match and told us about a month after the interview.
Got more rejections today-from Rush and Univ of Oregon,Portland.

Just curious- how many people applying to GI this time and how many positions are available?Would give a better idea of our chances if we had some idea....

So far a yes from: UF Gainsville, Rochester, Albany, NEMC, Beaumont, Emory, Utah, Iowa, Geisinger.

No from: Case Western, UAB, OHSU, Georgetown

rejection from Case
No interviews so far

Yes from BWH, NO from OHSU. Emory said to have sent out invits last week. That may count as a NO for me. UT Southwestern is going to send out invits this week. Good luck to everybody.

Just heard of this site (on call tonight)...

No's from Case western, Oregon, UAB, Gerogetown, and Miami (actually, Miami said they were never in the match as they are filled already for '08; fine, but ERAS sure as sh_t didn't have any problems taking my cash to apply to miami. no rebate in sight).
Yes's from Albany and USAlabama.

This is my second yr applying to GI. Last yr I got 9 interviews.

One particularly inspiring individual I came across last year had done a hepatology year and then also worked as a hepatologist the year after once he'd been accepted, all the while applying for GI since his PGY2 year. All in all it took him 2 extra years to get GI. Really not a lot to ask for when we're talking lifelong careers here. I've heard the worst thing to do after residency if you don't match initially is to become a full time hospitalist since it doesn't add anything GI'y to your profile.

Tangentially, it's pretty low of a lot of these programs to not even tell us if we've not been selected for an interview. It happened w about half of the 55 places I applied to last year, and it seems like it's happening again this year already. I mean, it's not like we're high schoolers casually dropping off applications at a McDonald's. At least give us the decency to tell us a simple yes or no. While I'm ranting, it's pretty low of UPMC (and who knows how many others) to only have a 15 day deadline to submit all of our materials, especially when we have less control over when the letters of rec get in. Those lexapro samples in the resident outpatient clinic are looking better everyday. I guess I'll hold on the self-medicating until match day, so many painful months from now. Oh well, it's not like our planet is facing a potential environmental catastrophe or anything in the next 100 years, ... oh, wait.

got some more no's from Wake forest, UVA, and Drexel in Philly

I hope it is still early. I suspect programs are overwhelmed to the amount of applications this year since the match, one click of the mouse and your application is sent. Maybe to review this many applications will take some time. This is all an assumption, not base on any facts.
I only have two interviews and one is at my own program out of courtesy.

Things don't look good, but still plenty of time!!!!

AGA stated match rate last year was 67% for US applicants--not so good, hahaha, I may get ready to reapply!!

I haven't got an interview even from my own program yet. I am thinking now about what I should d for next year and how can I improve my application.

It is bad....things look gloomy.Had the same rejections..no hope in sight...

Does anybody know what r they looking for? How many publications? which kind of research? What else? The people last year....which kind of CV they had....................I am not talking about connection although it is very important!!:(