GI 08 fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they are looking for AMGs or really exceptional FMGs.

Members don't see this ad.

I was rejected by Indiana 3 times today, although they wished me "very best" 3 times :D

Anybody has heard from Colorado, UWashington, BIDMC in Boston, Michigan, Mayo, WashU, UNC, Pitt and UT Southwestern?

I've heard from UVA, CCF, Ohio State, Case, Wake, and Vandy. I keep thinking today..or this week...will be when I hear from the rest and then the weekend comes. I'm sure one issue like someone else mentioned is ERAS. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, things are slow. My program director told me that at a recent GI directors meeting, it was a consensus that programs are planning to review applications just now in February, so we should be hearing soon.

I have interviews at Westchester and NYU. Has anyone heard from any other NY or NJ programs?

I have an interview at UDNMJ

San Antonio Texas, Ohio state, Mayo Jacksonville have given me interviews. Rejection from UVA, Wake

Does ERAS application require a medical school transcript for GI match? How about the other GI fellowship programs not participating in ERAS this year?

Thanks in adavance.

Rejection Ut Sw

Rejection from Seattle and Texas Southwestern

Rejection from Seattle and Texas Southwestern
Has anyone actually started interviewing yet? How is it out there?

Many programs will be completing their review of applications in March-most are receiving about 250-350 apllications.

Can't speak for this year...

Last year the interview trail was uncannily easy. I had zero pimping-style questions regarding anything medical. Most speakers took up the time touting their own institution. Sometimes it's tough to get a word in edgewise. Inevitably there would be the questions of why we want to be there, and whether we had any questions for them.

One interviewer did go into specifics about the design of one of my projects, but that was it.

All in all, the philosophy of these institutions is that they're happy to match anybody they invite to an interview - unless there's some glaring personality flaw or quirk that's only apparent from an interview. They pretty much have made up their minds on their rank order list before you even get there. I mean, no matter how easily your conversation flows with them or how firm your handshake is, certain things don't outweigh some of the pluses that other people have on their CV's - i.e. major journal publications, ivy league heritage, etc.

Anybody heard from Mayo, Duke, UCSF, Stanford and Wah U

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is still reviewing applications.

I haven't interviewed yet either, only two interviews and many rejections:
Rejections from:
Kaiser Perm
Wake Forest
Case Western
UVA
Miami
Georgetown

Still waiting on 55 programs. I agree with others that interviews will be offered later this year, and programs are still reviewing, at least hopefully the 55 I have remaining are still reviewing or have me considered in their round 2 and 3 interviews. I have seen on this thread at least 8 other programs I applied to have started but I have not recieved a rejection from them yet, such Univ. Mich, Northwestern, Rush, NYU, and many others.

My fingers remain crossed.

Good luck to everyone.

Is there round 2 and 3 interviews?
I have't heard from some programs so I called them since I knew that they offered interviews and they gave me the rejection over the phone. U Mic is one of them

Got a rejection from Henry Ford... what's worse, that's one of the places I actually got an interview from last year. Sheesh! I didn't think I told THAT many offensive jokes there last year.

Rejections from Henry Ford and UT Houston.

Just got one from Long Island College Hospital. Good luck everyone.

Hey gang,
My own cheer is slowly dwindling too, but I am still hopeful for more promising results. I have 4 interviews total. Anyway, made a few calls today. GW has already send out all interviews (no round 2s), so that's a no for me. U Chicago said we would know by Feb 15, and U IL at Chicago said likely next week. Jefferson, NY Methodist, NY Hospital Queens/Cornell in Flushing said interviews will go out in March. Anyone heard from West Coast?

As for interviews, I had my first last week and it was fine. No difficult questions, just wanting to get a sense of my personality and if I fit in. I agree that likely they are happy to match anyone they interview unless of course you somehow mess up the interview. However, I did get the impression though that they already had an idea of who they wanted... (publications, institution, chief, etc). Match list may already be essentially done.

Well good luck all. I will continue to keep hope alive for all of us. If you need some cheering up, send me a private message and I'll send encouraging words back.

Over the past few days have gotten interviews from: Lahey, Dartmouth, UVM, Henry Ford. Best of luck to all.

Somebody asked what the programs are looking for. The answer is: research and support from a big name in GI. Excellent clinical credentials are a given. Unlike medicine residency, no one cares about your board scores. The fact is, even the mediocre "academic" programs are trying their best to build their research reputation. They do so by spending big bucks recruiting top dogs in GI research to lead the department and by recruiting budding scientists as fellows. So, even if you've done one bull**** abstract and just want to scope for cash once you finish, you have to sell yourself as an academic of some sort, or you're toast.

I am at an average academic medicine program and have average board scores. Yet I have many interviews because I took a year off to do research, got a supportive letter from a big name in GI, and truly wish to pursue a career in research. (hence the name, GILove)

Just recieved my rejection from UCSF in the mail.
Why dont they just email or use ERAS messaging.

Still only two interviews one of which is my own
institution offering me a courtesy interview.

Good luck to the rest of you.

I may take the advice of gilove and do a
year of research and apply later, if things
dont work out, rather than applying again
next year.

boohoo!

Just recieved my rejection from UCSF in the mail.
Why dont they just email or use ERAS messaging.

Still only two interviews one of which is my own
institution offering me a courtesy interview.

Good luck to the rest of you.

I may take the advice of gilove and do a
year of research and apply later, if things
dont work out, rather than applying again
next year.

boohoo!
I respectfully disagree with GIlove. Board scores are important.My drawback is only average scores.I did come from an upper average residency program,but I made up by doing a Hepatology fellowship from a very reputable program.I have research experience and letters from big people -but have had only one interview.
A conversation with my GI PD gave some insight:Here is how they sort out,in order of preference:
1.Actual publications in peer-reviewed publications:abstracts/posters etc don't count that much.
2.Scores greater than 220.
3.A strong (and personal) recommendation from someone big in GI.

Home program candidates and Ivy league residents have a distinct advantage(obviously),and it is not easy if you are an IMG.

He also said it is hard to ignore scores of 250 or above.

just found out about this site!

so far, only interviews at yale, NYU, georgetown. no rejections yet, but i did apply to places you guys have heard from (i.e. BU, Tufts).

anybody hear from BI-D in boston or any ny programs?

Hi Everone, I am doing my residency in a Midwest program. I think the time to get more interviews is over, all programs may not be sending out rejection emails. Is it still possible to get more interviews?

I received an interview at Tufts about 1 month ago. No word from BI or Yale. Did anyone get any Wisconsin interviews? What about the Philly programs (I have not heard anything from them yet?

What is the word on the street about the philly programs (Penn, Jeff, Temple, Drexel)?

I got a reject from Drexel 10 days back. Has anyone heard from Univ of Missouri Columbia/or from Kansas Med center?

Hey guys,

Let's share with everyone the programs we know are not in the Match - it helps everyone!

I interviewed recently at Lenox Hill (Manhattan), which does not have an informational web site. The interviewer mentioned that they will be filling their two spots with one internal candidate and one external. They're going to fill both outside of the match by mid-March. I was not aware of this before visiting.

U Conn and Jackson Memorial are also not in the Match. Any others?

Thanks!

Penn: research power-house
Jeff: very malignant, work your butt off kind of place. Fellows come in at 5:30 AM to pre-round (per my friend who is a medicine resident there).
Temple: Don't know much, but their Chair of Medicine is Joel Richter, a huge name in GERD research.
Drexel: Mostly clinical program, hospital is going through a rough patch financially. There's a bit of turmoil in the leadership as well.

(this is all second-hand)

What is the word on the street about the philly programs (Penn, Jeff, Temple, Drexel)?

Cleveland Clinic Florida is not going through the match.UC Irwine and U Conn have already chosen outside the match.Some other programs not going through the match-SUNY Brooklyn,Univ of Arkansas,Bronx-Lebanon,Brooklyn Hospital Program.

USC called yesterday.

a friend of mine heard from penn last week.

oh, and other friends heard from sinai last week...

Heard from UWash and Duke over last 2 weeks. And a lot of rejections. No response from UCLA, UPenn, BIDMC Boston, WashU, Columbia,Cornell or Baylor Houston even with multiple inquiaries. Any other news?

heard from cornell earlier in the week... otherwise, haven't heard from the rest. i know penn is still giving out interviews. BI-D is still reading applications.

West Virginia University is also outside the match (they're mostly looking for folks w basic science as an interest).

I got 2 more interviews from Buffalo and UT Houston this week.

Just got a no from U Chicago today.

Judging by the v few places I've called, it seems like there's still a lot out of less prestigous (academically) places out there still deciding.

from Harvard (I'm so surprised.. had to try though, dang it) and U Kansas.

Congratulations to those who got DDW abstracts accepted. How do we update this on our ERAS application?

Word on the street is that Temple has called folks for interviews.

St. Luke's/Roosevelt (NYC) is sending out interviews...

Georgia sent out interviews

hey ileus, how do you know temple sent out interviews? thanks,

I know someone with an interview there