GI hospitalist + Advanced Endoscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ercp4u

Reaction score
Was hoping to get some insight about my future and available options as a GI. I recently matched to a fellowship in advanced endoscopy and am wondering about my career options.

I love inpatient medicine and would love to work as a GI hospitalist. However, I also love the procedural aspect of GI and want to keep up my skills as a therapeutic endoscopist.

I am not a fan of outpatient medicine and don't care much for the longitudinal relationship with patients. I couldn't be more happier if I never had to see an outpatient. I also don't care much about money or scoping for dollars. I would be happy to make enough to support my family and live an average middle class lifestyle.

I am wondering if there is any institution/group that would be interested in hiring a GI hospitalist who also specializes in advanced endoscopy. Is there any practice model that will allow me to work as a hospitalist as well as maintain my skills as an advanced endoscopist witout any clinic obligations?

Members don't see this ad.

How are you going to get advanced patients fed to you to not see those patients before you scope? Straight forward EMR for large colon polyp is okay but what about those pancreatic cysts, EUS of lymph nodes, etc? What if the patient you scoped had questions regarding the biopsies or future care? Are you going to send it back to referring doctor to deal with it? I understand where you are coming from. Inpatient GI needs stenting, lots of ERCPs, some EUS but you will miss out on the large referral base of the outpatients. Nobody wants to deal with outpatient questions related to the procedure you perform. I would negotiate the job in such a way where you get may be half day to one day clinic a week, four days of scope. It depends on how many general GI are referring cases to you for advanced.

I am not too concerned about the referral base for the advanced procedures. Most outpatients for EUS and ERCP(though ERCP would definitely some prescreening) can be referred direct to endoscopy, and subsequently referred back to the referring GI for follow up. If course, if there is something odd or unsual, then I would would need to organize some kind of follow up.

I undersand that a GI would not want to deal with the questions related to a procedure performed by another MD, however if it is GI to GI - then I think it would be less of an issue, especially, if I am willing to assume the more of a hospitalist role in the group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was hoping to get some insight about my future and available options as a GI. I recently matched to a fellowship in advanced endoscopy and am wondering about my career options.

I love inpatient medicine and would love to work as a GI hospitalist. However, I also love the procedural aspect of GI and want to keep up my skills as a therapeutic endoscopist.

I am not a fan of outpatient medicine and don't care much for the longitudinal relationship with patients. I couldn't be more happier if I never had to see an outpatient. I also don't care much about money or scoping for dollars. I would be happy to make enough to support my family and live an average middle class lifestyle.

I am wondering if there is any institution/group that would be interested in hiring a GI hospitalist who also specializes in advanced endoscopy. Is there any practice model that will allow me to work as a hospitalist as well as maintain my skills as an advanced endoscopist witout any clinic obligations?
Our group is hiring now for this kind of position, feel free to PM if interested

I am not too concerned about the referral base for the advanced procedures. Most outpatients for EUS and ERCP(though ERCP would definitely some prescreening) can be referred direct to endoscopy, and subsequently referred back to the referring GI for follow up. If course, if there is something odd or unsual, then I would would need to organize some kind of follow up.

I undersand that a GI would not want to deal with the questions related to a procedure performed by another MD, however if it is GI to GI - then I think it would be less of an issue, especially, if I am willing to assume the more of a hospitalist role in the group.
wish you good luck in the search, you will find those niche jobs if you don't have visa constraints